Sam Champions New Show "AMHQ"

MorningNews

Yeah I didn't think that there was. Several reports had been published in the past month saying that the team and Sam's relationship had soured since his departure.

Why would there be hard feelings? It's business, these are professionals and they get that.

• 4 weeks later...

Checking it out this morning, I'm actually pretty impressed. They actually have Diana Williams from WABC on, via Skype, talking about the avalanches on Everest. I like the floor map - great use of virtual tech in a country that seems to shy away from it.

I can understand "oh, this really isn't a weather show" - and it really isn't - but if you just want quick headlines and a forecast delivered from the Weather Channel Local Forecastbot, it'll do. I like so far.

• 10 months later...

I haven't watched the show in probably 6 month before this morning, and I know a lot has changed. This morning the focus was on the winter storm in Texas and Jim Cantore (now the show's "expert" replacing Bettis) was in Texas leaving Champion, Rodriquez, and Delgado in studio. In contrast to last time I saw the show, Champion seemed to play moderator, not really forecasting or presenting much. Is this the new thing? Or just a coincidence today?

That seems to be the new thing. However, we haven't really seen a typical show with the new hosts all in studio yet, since there have been so many winter storms. I will say that Sam and Jim should have been together from the start... They really play off each other well, and I always got the feeling that Mike Bettes and Champion didn't really get along too well. Bettes is getting his own evening show soon, which is good; he deserves it. I'll also say that I'm not a big fan of the new female co-host, Jen Delgado. She often comes off as kind of pushy and almost rude. I much preferred Maria as Sam's co-anchor.

That seems to be the new thing. However, we haven't really seen a typical show with the new hosts all in studio yet, since there have been so many winter storms. I will say that Sam and Jim should have been together from the start... They really play off each other well, and I always got the feeling that Mike Bettes and Champion didn't really get along too well. Bettes is getting his own evening show soon, which is good; he deserves it. I'll also say that I'm not a big fan of the new female co-host, Jen Delgado. She often comes off as kind of pushy and almost rude. I much preferred Maria as Sam's co-anchor.

I haven't watched the show in probably 6 month before this morning, and I know a lot has changed. This morning the focus was on the winter storm in Texas and Jim Cantore (now the show's "expert" replacing Bettis) was in Texas leaving Champion, Rodriquez, and Delgado in studio. In contrast to last time I saw the show, Champion seemed to play moderator, not really forecasting or presenting much. Is this the new thing? Or just a coincidence today?

I really wish Cantore would be in studio more often. I understand he's reporter at heart and loves being in the field, but if he's gonna be on the show he needs to be in studio more and allow the corespondents do their job. Him and Champion seem to have good chemistry from the times I've seen them together and would be perfect together as co-anchors in studio.

I'm watching AMHQ now, that I DVR'd this morning, and it's much the same as yesterday. Champion basically moderated the show which is fine, and although I understand he isn't an actual meteorologist, I feel as he should at least do the Big Picture like he used to instead of Delgado.

Archived