Kansas City's tight ratings

TheRob

What an in-depth article. It's really nice to see something going into such detail about the state of television here again.

Bracco knows what he's doing. If he managed to successfully bring KMBC up to the powerhouse it is (and arguably "once was" to some) and make it last so long, then he can probably do the same thing for them. It's also interesting to note how Wayne Godsey admitted that he and channel 9 seemed to think KSHB put on a fine product, they just couldn't get anyone to watch them. "It’s very difficult to change (viewers’) habits."

I figure that once they get their evenings (meaning 4, 5 and especially 6) to a place they're comfortable with, then they'll probably focus on the morning, midday and night. Mornings need to take priority though.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/23/4840611/underdog-channel-41-shakes-up.html#storylink=cp

If only we could see this in-depth journalism on local TV in other markets.

KSHB and KNXV are very similar stations in terms of their origins and common ownership. KSHB is breaking through, and I sincerely hope KNXV (the only TV station in Phoenix not to lead in some time slot in August) can do the same.

After learning about the history of KNXV's operation (particularly the first three years) I think the old News 15 formula would still work, under the right people: investigative reporting and long-form stories, fast pace, less of a police blotter. 15 is trying to copy 5, and that's just not really working.

I have always liked what they have done with their news product. They do need a new news set in my eyes.

That and stick with one consistent brand and news team. KSHB's woes were always tied into the identity crisis it had ever since it switched from Fox. Although based on this article, it does look like it's solved that problem.

Although it will be interesting to see if viewers still stick with KSHB now that the Olympics are over.

What an in-depth article. It's really nice to see something going into such detail about the state of television here again.

Bracco knows what he's doing. If he managed to successfully bring KMBC up to the powerhouse it is (and arguably "once was" to some) and make it last so long, then he can probably do the same thing for them. It's also interesting to note how Wayne Godsey admitted that he and channel 9 seemed to think KSHB put on a fine product, they just couldn't get anyone to watch them. "It’s very difficult to change (viewers’) habits."

I figure that once they get their evenings (meaning 4, 5 and especially 6) to a place they're comfortable with, then they'll probably focus on the morning, midday and night. Mornings need to take priority though.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/23/4840611/underdog-channel-41-shakes-up.html#storylink=cp

Brian Bracco was a longtime WTVN-TV reporter and came to KC via Taft Broadcasting I believe to WDAF. I wonder if his Cincinnati connections had anything to do with his new job.

I have always liked what they have done with their news product. They do need a new news set in my eyes.

They'll probably get one soon. It's aged well, but it's also showing it's age.

That and stick with one consistent brand and news team. KSHB's woes were always tied into the identity crisis it had ever since it switched from Fox.

Well they kept their "NBC Action News" branding for almost 10 years, so they've been somewhat consistent. I think the problem was that during those 10 years they virtually never referenced their channel number or call letters.

Brian Bracco was a longtime WTVN-TV reporter and came to KC via Taft Broadcasting I believe to WDAF. I wonder if his Cincinnati connections had anything to do with his new job.

The story I heard was that he still had a home and wife in KC while working for Hearst but was constantly traveling back and forth, tired of it, and wanted to go home. He also had wanted to be a GM of some TV station for a long time but never got the opportunity. KSHB happened to have an opening and it also happened to be in Kansas City, so it worked out well.

The story I heard was that he still had a home and wife in KC while working for Hearst but was constantly traveling back and forth, tired of it, and wanted to go home. He also had wanted to be a GM of some TV station for a long time but never got the opportunity. KSHB happened to have an opening and it also happened to be in Kansas City, so it worked out well.

Correction above. Bracco got promoted from Columbus to Birmingham while he was with Taft. I don't know if he went to WDAF after that or if he left the company. He looks nothing like he used to as a reporter!

http://www.kshb.com/about-us/brian-bracco-to-lead-scripps-stations-kshb-and-kmci-in-kansas-city

He still sounds the same, though (video at 2:33). I can still here him in my head saying "Brian Bracco, Action 6 News."

Well they kept their "NBC Action News" branding for almost 10 years, so they've been somewhat consistent. I think the problem was that during those 10 years they virtually never referenced their channel number or call letters.

It's currently "41 action news", the old Fox viewing position became the NBC viewing position in KC after the switch 20 years ago

Correction above. Bracco got promoted from Columbus to Birmingham while he was with Taft. I don't know if he went to WDAF after that or if he left the company. He looks nothing like he used to as a reporter!

http://www.kshb.com/about-us/brian-bracco-to-lead-scripps-stations-kshb-and-kmci-in-kansas-city

He still sounds the same, though (video at 2:33). I can still here him in my head saying "Brian Bracco, Action 6 News."

Yeah I was about to say he was in management during WTVN-TV days (now WSYX) even though the stations ratings was like a roller coaster at that time you could tell he was very old school but instrumental in alot of editorial decision to make the brand stand out. He seem to work at alot of Taft properties; WTVN, WBRC, WDAF so he knows the market real well having stops at 4,9, and now 41.

Archived