Earthquake

bammy9

While doing a report on St. Patrick's Day, an earthquake hit the FOX 11 studios, violently shaking cameras in the studio for a brief second. It was a 4.4 magnitude quake centered in Westwood, CA. http://www.myfoxla.com/story/24994159/watch-exact-moment-earthquake-strikes-fox-11-studios

The same quake was also felt at the KTLA studio. http://ktla.com/2014/03/17/magnitude-4-4-quake-shakes-l-a-area/#axzz2wERtHjJG

The quake was not centered in Westwood. I live in Westwood. It was centered 5.3 miles below the surface near Mulholland & Sepulveda in Bel Air. Close to Encino and the San Fernando Valley.

KNBC http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Earthquake-LA-Magnitude-250603231.html

KNBC was pathetic. They went back to reading the regular news instead of jumping into the breaking earthquake news (and did not do live shots or call ins during the 35 minutes to the time they went to the Today show). Then went to network, The Today Show, at 7 am. KABC dumped Good Morning America for non-stop earthquake coverage (KCBS did go to network programming at 7 am but at least they kept live earthquake coverage on sister station KCAL). What kind of idiots are running KNBC? They will never be a player in this market if this is the way they treat a breaking news story.

One thing I disliked about KTTV, they went to local spots about 20 minutes after the quake while everyone else was running commercial free. Typical that making money trumps local breaking news at Fox. I'd love to see how many people switched channels at that point.

The quake was not centered in Westwood. I live in Westwood. It was centered 5.3 miles below the surface near Mulholland & Sepulveda in Bel Air. Close to Encino and the San Fernando Valley.

KNBC http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Earthquake-LA-Magnitude-250603231.html

KNBC was pathetic. They went back to reading the regular news instead of jumping into the breaking earthquake news (and did not do live shots or call ins during the 35 minutes to the time they went to the Today show). Then went to network, The Today Show, at 7 am. KABC dumped Good Morning America for non-stop earthquake coverage (KCBS did go to network programming at 7 am but at least they kept live earthquake coverage on sister station KCAL). What kind of idiots are running KNBC? They will never be a player in this market if this is the way they treat a breaking news story.

A little bit angry there...

Also, I couldn't help but chuckle at how fast KCBS got that seismograph up. However those lights above them were really shaking...I don't know anything about what they have going on in there, but given how they were shaking, those lights looked quite "loose."

A little bit angry there...

Also, I couldn't help but chuckle at how fast KCBS got that seismograph up. However those lights above them were really shaking...I don't know anything about what they have going on in there, but given how they were shaking, those lights looked quite "loose."

Looking at the video, everything on the set was shaking, including the duratrans. You do have to wonder about the structural integrity of KCBS' news set.

One thing I disliked about KTTV, they went to local spots about 20 minutes after the quake while everyone else was running commercial free. Typical that making money trumps local breaking news at Fox. I'd love to see how many people switched channels at that point.

You post in two different threads to complain about KNBC? Watching a video on their site and they went to the seismograph a few seconds after the earthquale hit, plus John Cadiz-Klemack was checking twitter looking for any tweets/info about the earthquake while also trying to get info from the producer. I'm not sure what you would accomplish going wall to wall on earthquake coverage unless there were reports of injuries and/or damage. Even then, if any emergency response were needed they would hear it over the scanners, or people would call in, then they would go cover it live. But going live just for the sake of going live, just to say yes I felt the earthquake and the ground shook, is overkill.

Looking at the video, everything on the set was shaking, including the duratrans. You do have to wonder about the structural integrity of KCBS' news set.

Were the duratrans shaking? I thought they were too, but looking at it again it seemed as if the severity that the lights were shaking made the main frame behind them look like it was shaking too. Either way, they should seriously get that checked out. Seems like a slight nudge will make them fall.

When I saw that video I damn near thought the set was going to collapse right then and there. That might be a reason why they got their seismology graphic up so quickly. KTLA and KTTV's sets didn't seem like they were as affected by the quake, and KABC and KNBC didn't have their anchors on camera when the quake hit (they had B-roll footage up) though their sets looked okay. But KCBS' set really looked bad there.

I think KCBS' set exaggerated the shaking because of projections... The background is a real projection screen and there was a projected logo on the floor. The distance of the projections could magnify the shaking.

Seemed like KTTV's studio made the loudest noise.

You post in two different threads to complain about KNBC? Watching a video on their site and they went to the seismograph a few seconds after the earthquale hit, plus John Cadiz-Klemack was checking twitter looking for any tweets/info about the earthquake while also trying to get info from the producer. I'm not sure what you would accomplish going wall to wall on earthquake coverage unless there were reports of injuries and/or damage. Even then, if any emergency response were needed they would hear it over the scanners, or people would call in, then they would go cover it live. But going live just for the sake of going live, just to say yes I felt the earthquake and the ground shook, is overkill.8

YOU will never work in Los Angeles. You do wall to wall here for hours or you get no ratings or credibility. Ratings are up 5 to 10 fold for events like this. That's ratings history for both radio and TV in Los Angeles. All stations were on top of this for hours except KNBC...using all their resources...live shots and call ins from viewers. That is the way you do it. PERIOD. KNBC sucked.

YOU will never work in Los Angeles. You do wall to wall here for hours or you get no ratings or credibility. Ratings are up 5 to 10 fold for events like this. That's ratings history for both radio and TV in Los Angeles. All stations were on top of this for hours except KNBC...using all their resources...live shots and call ins from viewers. That is the way you do it. PERIOD. KNBC sucked.

Who says i'm trying to work in LA? Seriously dude, chill. Is a given that ratings will go up during any major event given that more people will tune in to see what happened/happening. Credibility is a separate issue. However going on for hours and hours, repeating pretty much the same info is unnecessary. Were this earthquake on the scale of the Northridge earthquake, then that would be a separate issue..

KABC as the earthquake hit

Hopefully a better video will pop up later for them.

It sounds like it was a good thing the cameras weren't on the anchors at KABC. It sounds like the female anchor there reacted more dramatically than the KTLA guy did and he's now an internet celebrity.

I think KCBS' set exaggerated the shaking because of projections... The background is a real projection screen and there was a projected logo on the floor. The distance of the projections could magnify the shaking.

Seemed like KTTV's studio made the loudest noise.

Pretty much this.

Lighting grids tend to move some due to the way they're built. In many cases they are suspended by chains or braided cable, or both. Some lights may be on drop down pipes that allow you to mount the light lower than the grid itself. All of these things allow the lights to move a little, and when you start throwing the lights over distances, small movements will become exaggerated when looking at where the light is focused.

Parts of KCBS's set could also be tethered to the grid, which would have caused things to sway and bounce a bit.

It wouldn't be safe NOT to take cover, because any number of things could happen, but I doubt the entire set was about to topple over.

The KCBS shaking set was an illusion. Look at the video again and they have blue rectangular lights shining on either side of the projection screen. The blue lights were shaking giving the appearance that the whole set in the background looked like jello.

Archived