WKRG Gets a New Set

TennTV1983

They do service the Young stations for some things, and will service the LIN stations in the future.

Are you just guessing with LIN? Since LIN's CEO will be heading up the new MG, how do you know he won't be bringing Kathy Moshler-Boule with him (who would mostly likely head up MGFX)?

They do service the Young stations for some things, and will service the LIN stations in the future.

You are correct, they have taken on some work for the former Young stations....check out the MediaGeneralTV channel on YouTube. It's basically a showplace of all of their in-house efforts.

MGFX appears to only have taken on WRIC as a client (since they're in Richmond), but the other Young stations still appear to have stand-alone graphics departments, and are still hiring for local positions at these stations if there are openings.

LIN's stations are all different, with different looks and operations at each station, although they have some hubbed clusters. When the merger goes through, Media General is going to swallow more stations than they currently operate, and with Vince Sadusky running the show, his influence could benefit the look and feel of Media General post-merger.

"not without the brick layering that you see to pay homeage to Mobile architecture..."

well then if that's truly the case...

"David Weller...he put great time and effort into the WKRG set which he says rivals the ones you see on national television."

David Weller: "What you're looking at here is a network-quality set in a regional space."

OH PLEASE! Come on now. What would it rival, New Day on CNN with all of the brick? Possibly, but if that's the case then New Day wins that competition hands down.

"not without the brick layering that you see to pay homeage to Mobile architecture..."

well then if that's truly the case...

"David Weller...he put great time and effort into the WKRG set which he says rivals the ones you see on national television."

David Weller: "What you're looking at here is a network-quality set in a regional space."

OH PLEASE! Come on now. What would it rival, New Day on CNN with all of the brick? Possibly, but if that's the case then New Day wins that competition hands down.

Because when you think of Mobile, I'm sure that brick layering is the first thing that comes to mind.... :rofl!:

If they wanted to capture Mobile architecture, the set would like an antique living room with a swamp and shrimp boat in the background...

If anything, I see it as a very low-budget, stripped down, post-modern version of the CBS this Morning set.

They should have interviewed the graphics designer and asked them about all of the freakin' tablets everywhere!

Because when you think of Mobile, I'm sure that brick layering is the first thing that comes to mind.... :rofl!:

If they wanted to capture Mobile architecture, the set would like an antique living room with a swamp and shrimp boat in the background...

They should've put some wrought iron fixtures around the set along with some faux French doors and windows if they wanted to capture the essence of the historic parts of Mobile if you ask me (Full disclosure: I've spent many summers and Christmases in Mobile, so I know a few things about the city itself).

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/mobile-cbs-affiliate-debuts-new-set_b119378

This write-up in TVSpy confirms what many of us have suspected...the graphics are a work of John Christopher Burns design.

Hopefully this is a relationship that continues. He is well-known for his TVbD looks from the 1980s including Headline News. One of his better works is the WKBN/WYTV/WYFX package he designed, and incorporated WKBN's vintage logo into the package itself. They will soon be a Media General station post-merger with LIN.

Haaa I was ninety something percent sure of it being a jcbD project. As much as I like the package for trying to be different, it could probably work even better with a slight pullback in the use of the tablets. Really my only gripe with the WKRG graphics is the odd placement of the news title. It looks OK in certain places, but in other uses, such as the bug, something just seems off with it, as if the station modified some of the photoshop templates. It also seems to be a bit higher than the height of the 5. It's a small nit-picky thing I hope they'll fix at some point. It's not really apparent in the opens and other animations.

The brick ruins what would be a pretty decent set. It gives off the vibe of an apartment or a restaurant, not a news set.

Those pipes look like downspouts.

So why does MG have FOUR separate graphics packages again?

--the iPad graphics (WVTM/WKRG)

--the blue and silver graphics (WNCN/WJAR)

--the circular graphics (WCBD/WCMH/the small market stations)

--the WFLA graphics

I like the WKRG graphics, but something's missing. I also like the fact that they kept the old MG Music.

I don't understand what MG is doing here. I thought the package WCMH was using was going to be the standard. WSLS and WSAV among others are using that package. Now they are going to something else (which looks better to me). WJAR was using the WCMH package, now they are using the WNCN package (which I like better). Confused ...

They're probably a bit too busy trying to integrate the ex-LIN and Young stations into the group, and I think graphics aren't a top priority for them. (I just wish KOIN would go back to their jcbD package from 2008; why'd they get rid of that anyway?)

They're probably a bit too busy trying to integrate the ex-LIN and Young stations into the group, and I think graphics aren't a top priority for them. (I just wish KOIN would go back to their jcbD package from 2008; why'd they get rid of that anyway?)

Not only are they nowhere close to closing in on LIN, but graphics would need to be a priority if they are trying to "integrate" Young into the group like you say. They would want one consistent look wouldn't you think. I think I would wait until Vince Saudsky takes over. He will probably move his corporate director of design over to MGFX.

I like the WKRG graphics, but something's missing. I also like the fact that they kept the old MG Music.

I actually don't mind the graphics. But Canvas works a lot better with them than the old theme.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/mobile-cbs-affiliate-debuts-new-set_b119378

This write-up in TVSpy confirms what many of us have suspected...the graphics are a work of John Christopher Burns design.

Hopefully this is a relationship that continues. He is well-known for his TVbD looks from the 1980s including Headline News. One of his better works is the WKBN/WYTV/WYFX package he designed, and incorporated WKBN's vintage logo into the package itself. They will soon be a Media General station post-merger with LIN.

The Headline News material was done after his 1987 split from TVbD.

Archived