Maybe I'm insane, but I really can't stand tickers

Ram27

WOIO used a ticker due in all of their Action News broadcasts (and was even carried over into their modified rendition of the previous Raycom standardization package) until early last year, when it was dropped with no explanation.

Deadspin recently posted a rather comprehensive list of all the sports network tickers. It's pretty fascinating, especially with the percentage of screen space that is taken up by the tickers. (Fox Sports 1 and 2's ticker swallows up 10% of the screen!)

What isn't included in the list is the ticker size for Fox SportsTime Ohio. STO, for reasons that baffle me, still uses a ticker dating back to the network's previous ownership by the Dolan family. It doesn't mesh well with the current Fox graphics standard in any way.

I will admit that for once this year, the comments section on a news/sports website actually made me laugh like crazy:

"SNY's number looks a lot better when you consider that the alternative would be to have the Mets take up more of the screen."

WOIO used a ticker due in all of their Action News broadcasts (and was even carried over into their modified rendition of the previous Raycom standardization package) until early last year, when it was dropped with no explanation.

Heck they don't even use a time and temp bug anymore. And with the new graphics package, they don't even use the logo (at least on the internet). AFAIK, I'm assuming that 19 is doing this to appease Romona.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like tickers if they are somewhat subdued. But what I don't like is when the flow of the ticker is interrupted by an announcement that it's such and such network or their ticker, right before a score I want to see. And then it starts all over again.

Archived