Maybe I'm insane, but I really can't stand tickers

Ram27

Their presence during sports games just really irritates me. Bastards take up like a whole seventh of the screen (in a bad way).

I mean look at this.

Z0GUcX6h.jpgvs this

8qWTjh7.jpg

(ignoring the image quality).

To me it just looks so much nicer and cleaner without the ticker in the way.

As if I really care right now what's going on with Russel Allen. Immersion ruined. If I needed to see any scores, I could look them up online like everyone else in 2014.

And lately the FOX regional networks are having them on the during the whole baseball game. Last year it was more intermittent.

For sports, yeah, it'd be pretty annoying as I'd be more tempted to look at the ticker than the actual game. For news shows though, it's not so bad.

that's true right now I'm watching The Kings-Sharks Stanley Cup Playoff game on NBCSN, via Comcast SportsNet California, and one nice thing about NBC is they they don't show the scores, etc. during the game, because they understand what the viewers want/need, that's why I like NBC Sports, just wish that they were doing a sports news/highlights show, but they just don't want to be like ESPN, or copy what ESPN does, or even attempt to compete with ESPN, and that's fine with NBC because they want to serve a niche fan base that's passionate (like NHL, racing, and soccer), instead of being like Fox which is try to compete with another network (Fox vs NBC, abc, and CBS, Fox News Channel vs CNN, and Fox Sports 1 vs ESPN)

So that's why NBC just simply leaves ESPN alone, and just focus on serving the niche, passionate sports fan bases.

Honestly, sports tickers should be on ONLY after play like during intermissions, halftime - whatever you call it. Tickers should not be on air during playtime, it's just a distraction to the main thing that's being broadcast: THE GAME.

I was fine with the ticker until FSN/FOX Sports decided it was a good idea to leave it up the whole game. I liked it better when it would only come up 2 or 3 times during the course of a game. Plus, it makes it much worse now that FOX Sports decided to move the scorebox to the bottom left and along with the L3's, well it's just way too cluttered for my taste. I really hope they ditch the ticker and move the fox box back to the top left.

You would think that in this day and age, TV would be interactive enough that you could control the ticker and hide the bug if you wanted to. Personally, I don't really care, it doesn't bother me, but if I want to look up a score of another game, I have my phone for that.

You would think that in this day and age, TV would be interactive enough that you could control the ticker and hide the bug if you wanted to. Personally, I don't really care, it doesn't bother me, but if I want to look up a score of another game, I have my phone for that.

yeah that's true, if I wanted to know what's the score from other sports, I got multiple sports apps that I can go to, I don't have to read the ticker, I got my iPad that I can use to look at sports news, scores, etc.

I think there's some sports where the ticker is contractually prohibited from being used. Some of the soccer matches televised by Bristol were aired sans ticker, including the World Cup. I think Monday Night Football and at least one of the MLB nights is supposed to be ticker-free as well.

Here's the thing - I generally don't pay any attention to a ticker, either sports or news, unless it's completely distracting. Many of those tickers, sports included, just spit out random facts or numbers (especially if they're like the Sky Sports News/Fox Sports Live model).

• 2 weeks later...

For sports, yeah, it'd be pretty annoying as I'd be more tempted to look at the ticker than the actual game. For news shows though, it's not so bad.

There's a simple way to kill the ticker - TickerBlocker.com

There's a simple way to kill the ticker - TickerBlocker.com

That has got to be the dumbest invention I've ever seen...

If you want to block the screen (and not pay $9.99 + s&h), just press the ZOOM button on your remote.

I think there's some sports where the ticker is contractually prohibited from being used. Some of the soccer matches televised by Bristol were aired sans ticker, including the World Cup. I think Monday Night Football and at least one of the MLB nights is supposed to be ticker-free as well.

I remember reading a discussion and several blog posts about this when NBC SN got the British Premiere League two years ago this was required, but I was was shocked about how many people hate tickers with a passion. People were so concerned that there may be a ticker that May air in a broadcast of a match that they wouldn't be able to view because they were from England.

I don't mind tickers for sports, but on newscasts when tickers are gawdy and in-your-face, then it's too much. WTAJ has been messing around with their ticker for a few weeks and what they had originally was fine.

I don't mind tickers for sports, but on newscasts when tickers are gawdy and in-your-face, then it's too much. WTAJ has been messing around with their ticker for a few weeks and what they had originally was fine.

I can understand having a ticker in the morning for like traffic or weather but it can seem pretty unnecessary in the evenings.

I can understand having a ticker in the morning for like traffic or weather but it can seem pretty unnecessary in the evenings.

It is useful. I mean, they run national headlines. I'm usually busy in the evenings and I'm not around for the CBS Evening News, so if I get to read the headlines there, I get a feel for what's happening.

• 4 weeks later...

That makes sense... However why don't many markets (mine not included) have bugs in the evening? For the same reasons sports games do? To allow you to forget how much time you are dedicating to a game?

Deadspin recently posted a rather comprehensive list of all the sports network tickers. It's pretty fascinating, especially with the percentage of screen space that is taken up by the tickers. (Fox Sports 1 and 2's ticker swallows up 10% of the screen!)

What isn't included in the list is the ticker size for Fox SportsTime Ohio. STO, for reasons that baffle me, still uses a ticker dating back to the network's previous ownership by the Dolan family. It doesn't mesh well with the current Fox graphics standard in any way.

Archived