WXYZ Begins News On WMYD June 16

ns8401

Pretty quickly starting this up:

A WXYZ produced 10pm newscast will begin on WMYD on Monday, June 16th. WXYZ also plans to air a morning program on WMYD from 7-9am that will compete directly with "FOX 2 News Morning" on WJBK starting sometime in August. The Scripps 4pm show is slated for September, I am not sure if it is on WMYD or WXYZ yet. I don't know who they will assign to anchor the 10pm yet.

I take it they'll be giving the NBCUniversal "trash talk trio" the boot this fall too. They'll easily be scooped up by WADL.

I assume it would be a great place to put lots of Scripps shows so I can't imagine the trio sticking around, no.

I take it they'll be giving the NBCUniversal "trash talk trio" the boot this fall too. They'll easily be scooped up by WADL.

Or either WWJ (NOT LIKELY) or WKBD. Are there any CBS-Owned stations that air the NBCU "Trash TV 3"?

Or either WWJ (NOT LIKELY) or WKBD. Are there any CBS-Owned stations that air the NBCU "Trash TV 3"?

The only station that airs one of the Trashy-3 is WJZ, which air Maury Povich at 9am. None of the other stations air that program, and none of them air Jerry or Steve.

Unrelated to the three, WUPA & WPSG airs the outgoing 4th show, Trisha Goddard.

Most of their owned stations (not on main CBS station) have it locked with court shows, with Steve Harvey & Queen Latifah in some markets.

Anyway, I'm not sure when the contract for carrying those three shows ends. But should they let go of those shows, they would have to fill-in at least five hours of daytime programming. I doubt they would do it this coming fall at least. And that doesn't count that they would already have to fill in that hour after Trisha cancellation this fall. WADL would probably be my choice to dump those shows since they air nothing but comedies during that time-period.

The only station that airs one of the Trashy-3 is WJZ, which air Maury Povich at 9am. None of the other stations air that program, and none of them air Jerry or Steve.

Surprising, given Sinclair controls three stations in B-More and they LOVE those shows for their FOX and CW stations.

Scripps' only other duopoly station (KMCI Kansas City) mainly air court shows, although they carried CBS/Tribune's cancelled "The Test," which almost reaches Maury-esque sleaze levels. It will be interesting what happens to the WMYD schedule.

Most of their owned stations (not on main CBS station) have it locked with court shows, with Steve Harvey & Queen Latifah in some markets.

Out of curiosity which CBS O&O carries Steve Harvey? I thought mostly NBC O&O's carried it since its an NBCU show?

Out of curiosity which CBS O&O carries Steve Harvey? I thought mostly NBC O&O's carried it since its an NBCU show?

CBS/CW O&O's:

WWJ CBS Detroit

WKBD CW Detroit

WTOG CW Tampa

KMAX CW Sacramento

KSTW CW Seattle

The anchors for the weekday 10pm newscasts will be Glenda Lewis and Malcom Maddox. Dave Rexroth on weather and Tom Leyden will do sports.

Weekends will have Dave LewAllen solo on Saturday with Halley Vogel on weather and David Solano on sports, they then do the 11pm on WXYZ right after. LewAllen gets a female co-anchor for Sunday night and weather and sports are the same as Saturday.

The newscasts are 1 hour, 10-11pm.

Surprising, given Sinclair controls three stations in B-More and they LOVE those shows for their FOX and CW stations.

Scripps' only other duopoly station (KMCI Kansas City) mainly air court shows, although they carried CBS/Tribune's cancelled "The Test," which almost reaches Maury-esque sleaze levels. It will be interesting what happens to the WMYD schedule.

KMCI airs nearly all of the Sporting Kansas City soccer matches too. But there's no MLS team in Detroit (and probably won't be for a while, if at all), and FS Detroit has the rights to the Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings, so...

KMCI airs nearly all of the Sporting Kansas City soccer matches too. But there's no MLS team in Detroit (and probably won't be for a while, if at all), and FS Detroit has the rights to the Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings, so...

WXYZ airs the weekly official Pistons show and the Pistons just jumped from CBS owned WXYT-FM to Greater Media owned WMGC-FM so it wouldn't be out of the question for the Pistons to try some new things as far as maybe putting a few games on WMYD. Splits have happened before, WMYD had the Tigers for a season or two (It may have still been WDWB at the time) and WDIV had some Pistons games some years ago. The Red Wings and Tigers rights come up early next decade but the Pistons may be sooner. Probably ESPN related MAC basketball and football (WXYZ has already been clearing these games) such as Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Western Michigan football and basketball. Perhaps Oakland University and University of Detroit Mercy basketball. There is also the Plymouth Whalers hockey team as well as the potential for re-airs of the Lions preseason games that WXYZ produces. Lots of sports options in Michigan that people might be interested in.

Pistons are up in 2018-19

Tigers are up in 2022-23

Red Wings are up in 2022-23

Maybe they could clear the ABC shows on WMYD on days where they preempt the networks shows? I don't know much about how that works or if its allowed by ABC.

WXYZ has picked up Meredith Vieira, so Dr. Oz or The Doctors may or may not be moving. The new 4pm Scripps show will air on WMYD as well. WXYZ will have Dr. Oz, The Doctors and Vieira to juggle as syndication for daytime, Oz may move from 4pm because it is a dismal 5pm news lead-in. Some of these shows could re-air on WMYD, the Scripps syndication will definitely air there. The List will air on WMYD most likely as well because WXYZ already airs a newscast in Scripps preferred 7pm Eastern time slot. They seem to be doing a good job keeping WXYZ distanced from their syndication, they currently air 1 RTM and 1 LAA.

I'd be a bit surprised if Dr. Oz stays on WXYZ. WEWS has given up on Oz and is replacing him with Steve Harvey.

True, WXYZ has aired a minimum of Scripps-produced shows, but they DID give up "Entertainment Tonight" for "Let's Ask America."

I'd be a bit surprised if Dr. Oz stays on WXYZ. WEWS has given up on Oz and is replacing him with Steve Harvey.

True, WXYZ has aired a minimum of Scripps-produced shows, but they DID give up "Entertainment Tonight" for "Let's Ask America."

Ironicly ET is on WMYD, I don't know if it will stay or not but it will be homeless in Detroit if they dump it.

If they do dump Oz, then they will get another talker, the 4pm will not be on WXYZ. It'll be interesting to see which talker they pick and how they organize it. Merideth vieria if they are smart will go in the 4pm slot shifting oz to 3 or dumping him altogether, then there's The Doctors...

Ironicly ET is on WMYD, I don't know if it will stay or not but it will be homeless in Detroit if they dump it.

Quite a few CBS O&O's carry ET. If WMYD drops it, I would be surprised if WWJ doesn't offer it a slot.

Quite a few CBS O&O's carry ET. If WMYD drops it, I would be surprised if WWJ doesn't offer it a slot.

Right now WWJ airs back to back Family Feuds. Apparently WWJ passed on it once, maybe they will think better of it and bite if it becomes open.

With WXYZ an Channel 20 (ugh) becoming one together.

A.) Will Entertainment Tonight move back Channel 7 at 7:30?

B.) Do the current WMYD employees get to move at Broadcast House in Southfield?

C.) Will Scripps keep the My TV affiliation on 20?

[best move would be for 20 go back to Indy outlet and have Piston/Wings/Tigers games like WKBD did when they were a FOX affiliate. The station could produce a 9pm news instead of 10pm if they were in Indy outlet and WADL could pick up My TV affiliation]

With WXYZ an Channel 20 (ugh) becoming one together.

A.) Will Entertainment Tonight move back Channel 7 at 7:30?

B.) Do the current WMYD employees get to move at Broadcast House in Southfield?

C.) Will Scripps keep the My TV affiliation on 20?

[best move would be for 20 go back to Indy outlet and have Piston/Wings/Tigers games like WKBD did when they were a FOX affiliate. The station could produce a 9pm news instead of 10pm if they were in Indy outlet and WADL could pick up My TV affiliation]

A.) Probably not, unless Let's Ask America is dragging on the prime time shows as a lead in.

B.) I think some get moved but not all. That was my understanding anyways. I would think they get first priority, that's the typical business process anyway.

C.) Scripps will be keeping 20 as a MY TV affiliate for the foreseeable future.

A 9pm newscast would not make sense in the Eastern Time Zone, nobody would be prepared for it and it would probably fail. The 10pm will allow them to compete directly with WJBK which has zero competition right now. Same with the 7-9am planned for August, WJBK is the only local station at that time. It would be nice if they got those games but sadly the Pistons/Wings/Tigers have affiliation deals exclusively with Fox Sports Detroit with the exception for national games and playoffs obviously.

Pistons are up in 2018-19

Tigers are up in 2022-23

Red Wings are up in 2022-23

So no sports until 2019 at the earliest. WADL is barely functional as it is, the Adells cannot be trusted with a network affiliation.

Don't count on sports being part of the equation. Over the years, more and more games/sports have migrated exclusively to cable because of money. Sure there are still some teams that have games shown OTA that is few and far between, plus those stations are paying a hefty price to air a handful of those games. I'm not sure Scripps will be willing to shell out big bucks for a handful of games- regardless of the sport. I'd expect Fox Sports Detroit to secure new deals with the above teams, way before the contract expires.

Don't count on sports being part of the equation. Over the years, more and more games/sports have migrated exclusively to cable because of money. Sure there are still some teams that have games shown OTA that is few and far between, plus those stations are paying a hefty price to air a handful of those games. I'm not sure Scripps will be willing to shell out big bucks for a handful of games- regardless of the sport. I'd expect Fox Sports Detroit to secure new deals with the above teams, way before the contract expires.

Probably so, count on the ESPN minor conference games though, WXYZ airs those already.

Archived