WSB-TV David Chandley out after 25 yrs

Breaking News

David Chandley from WSB is out after 25 years and will have to sit out 180 days. Sounds like he popping up at either Channel 5 or Channel 11. I'm thinking he going over to 11, but again he could be the chief at WAGA/ Channel 5.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/02/david-chandley-says-he-plans-to-leave-channel-2-action-news-after-more-than-25-years/

From Newsblues.com

David Chandley, an "Emmy Award-winning" meteorologist for 25 years at top-rated WSB-2-ABC in Atlanta (Market #9), announced in a staff meeting Wednesday he plans to leave the station when his contract expires July 11.

"I have faith and trust in The Lord’s plan for our lives," he wrote on Facebook last night. "My career goal has always been to be a chief meteorologist and when my current contract expires on July 11th, that pursuit will begin." First, he'll have to sit out a six-month non-compete.

Last month, Ken Cook, the chief meteorologist at Fox-owned WAGA-5 in Atlanta announced plans to retire after 35 years. The station is conducting a "nationwide search" for his replacement. Probably just a coincidence.

Interesting, and honestly, this news was a bit surprising. I don't know if I can really imagine a WAGA with David Chandley as chief, since Ken Cook's retiring this month. I don't think there are any open spots at WXIA, either. We'll just have to wait and see.

(Maybe he should go to WGCL....someone needs to replace Markina Brown [how the heck did she wind up as chief, anyway?], and he could make a good pair with Paul Ossmann.)

surprising to me too...as a former met, i enjoy watching chandley and thought he might be up for chief when burns retires. i hope he finds a chief spot somewhere in the atl market, if that's where he wants to be. i'm guessing they'll save money when chandley's gone, since he's been there 25 years. perhaps the new gal is being groomed for mornings when minton retires? how long has she been there? don't know how she does that morning schedule year after year after year...

Minton was there in 91 the first time I visited Atlanta. So nearly as long as Chandley at least.

In an interview with the Journal Constitution, Chandley mentioned his goal was to be a chief meteorologist. If WAGA is willing to wait, or hire him to work behind the scenes until the new year (when his non-compete expires), I can see him popping up on Fox 5 in the evenings.

Or, heck, maybe WAGA will throw a few extra bucks at Ken Cook to hang around until the new year to make the transition smoother.

Interesting, and honestly, this news was a bit surprising. I don't know if I can really imagine a WAGA with David Chandley as chief, since Ken Cook's retiring this month. I don't think there are any open spots at WXIA, either. We'll just have to wait and see.

(Maybe he should go to WGCL....someone needs to replace Markina Brown [how the heck did she wind up as chief, anyway?], and he could make a good pair with Paul Ossmann.)

Dude really, what is your beef with Markina Brown? She is a decent chief meteorologist at CBS 46.

Dude really, what is your beef with Markina Brown? She is a decent chief meteorologist at CBS 46.

And her predecessor, Dagmar Midcap, was only hired for eye candy and she had no meteorological experience at all.

Chandley taking Ken Cook's role at WAGA could blend right in with the new news set still under construction.

Minton was there in 91 the first time I visited Atlanta. So nearly as long as Chandley at least.

In an interview with the Journal Constitution, Chandley mentioned his goal was to be a chief meteorologist. If WAGA is willing to wait, or hire him to work behind the scenes until the new year (when his non-compete expires), I can see him popping up on Fox 5 in the evenings.

Or, heck, maybe WAGA will throw a few extra bucks at Ken Cook to hang around until the new year to make the transition smoother.

karen minton started in '82 or '83

Markina is a good meterologist, light years better than dagmar. markina worked at KTLA as chief before coming to Atlanta.

Chris Holcomb was promoted to Chief at 11 Alive so I wouldn't think he's going there.

Didn't know Chris finally got the big job at 11Alive and he only been there for 23 years. Good for him, and I like Chris who been there through Johnny Beckman, Brian Albright, Royal Norman and Paul Ossmann (which Ossmann was the best but mgmt got rid of)

David going to WAGA-TV to be the chief; congrats and hopefully FOX will pony up some $$$, because Ken Cook did take a paycut a few years ago.

As for Glenn Burns he told Jovita Moore 2 years ago he had about a good 10 years left; so I guess Glenn Burns will be at WSB-TV until 2020.

Yeah, I can see Glenn sticking around for a good while longer, around 5 years or soo. All else equal, they'd probably make Brad the chief. Karen seems to be quite comfortable in the morning/noon slot, so I don't see her moving to evenings to be chief (even though she's been there the longest, second only to Glenn). And then Katie would do the weekends.

I hate to see David Chandley go, he was a great meteorologist and I loved watching him. I guess that whole Santa Tracker 2 thing is probably gonna get axed, that was mainly his thing during the holidays.

I don't know why, but I don't think David would have gotten the chief met position even if Glenn were to retire today. I feel like they would have thrown David under the bus for Brad Nitz instead, it seems like Brad is the one being groomed for that position, not David so in the end it may have been a good decision to leave and seek that position at another local news station. I think there's a decent chance he'll end up as the new chief meteorologist for WAGA (FOX 5), it would be a smart move for them imo.

What I find interesting is that since David announced he's leaving, WSB has also pulled talent from The Weather Channel by having Jennifer Lopez work at their station temporarily during the Summer. Jennifer Lopez was working the morning shift Saturday along with Brad Nitz while Katie worked the evening shifts (6,11) So I'm assuming WSB is searching for a 5th person to replace David on the weather team because I think his departure came as a sudden surprise. The whole reason Katie was brought in was so they could expand the team, not to replace anyone. If that's still the case for them now, I suspect there will be another new fresh face at WSB in the coming months.

Didn't know Chris finally got the big job at 11Alive and he only been there for 23 years. Good for him, and I like Chris who been there through Johnny Beckman, Brian Albright, Royal Norman and Paul Ossmann (which Ossmann was the best but mgmt got rid of)

David going to WAGA-TV to be the chief; congrats and hopefully FOX will pony up some $$$, because Ken Cook did take a paycut a few years ago.

As for Glenn Burns he told Jovita Moore 2 years ago he had about a good 10 years left; so I guess Glenn Burns will be at WSB-TV until 2020.

don't for get mike ''Skipping'' Franics

There's a lot of talk about David Chandley becoming the chief meteorologist at FOX5, but what about Jeff Hill? I thought he was taken off Good Day Atlanta and shifted to evenings to eventually replace Ken Cook as the chief met. Any thoughts on that?

There's a lot of talk about David Chandley becoming the chief meteorologist at FOX5, but what about Jeff Hill? I thought he was taken off Good Day Atlanta and shifted to evenings to eventually replace Ken Cook as the chief met. Any thoughts on that?

Jeff Hill is basically on seen on weekends only. He will fill in for Joanne Feldman (who has been the go-to in Ken Cook's absence) time to time on Good Day Atlanta, but that's about it with him these days.

If anyone gets promoted to Ken Cook's job within the station, I think it's more likely Joanne would get the job over Jeff. She's usually his go to person when he's absent and when they do severe weather coverage. It seems like Jeff's role has been reduced since Joanne moved to GDA. I don't watch FOX 5 often, but I usually only see Ken, Joanne, and Paul. Sometimes I forget Jeff still works there.

If anyone gets promoted to Ken Cook's job within the station, I think it's more likely Joanne would get the job over Jeff. She's usually his go to person when he's absent and when they do severe weather coverage. It seems like Jeff's role has been reduced since Joanne moved to GDA. I don't watch FOX 5 often, but I usually only see Ken, Joanne, and Paul. Sometimes I forget Jeff still works there.

jeff is about as old as glenn burns. he does not have more than a few years before he retires as well. Fun Fact: Joanne Feldman took over as chief meteorologist for Jeff Hill when he left WTVD in Raleigh

Well we know where David Chandley is *not* going:

WXIA promotes Chris Holcomb to Chief Met:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wxia-ups-chris-holcomb-to-chief-meteorologist_b124285

And from Newsblues 7.11.14

NEW CHIEF MET

holcomb_c.jpgGannett's WXIA-11-NBC in Atlanta (Market #9) has promoted Chris Holcomb to chief meteorologist, a job he has been seeking for years. Holcomb joined the station in 1991.

"I've never heard more raucous applause in a newsroom than when [news director] Ellen Crooke made this announcement this afternoon," veteran reporter Doug Richards wrote on Facebook.

Holcomb replaces Mike Francis, who left in January and has since gone into real estate. Before Francis, Paul Ossmann was the long-time chief there and is now the weekend weather guesser across the street at WGCL-46-CBS.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: It's not yet official, but according to somebody on a weather discussion board, David Chandley is Fox 5's new Chief Meterologist come January (when his no-compete clause expires). Sources close to the station say that they'll be working on promos for the holidays heralding his arrival.

This could be pretty interesting once February sweeps roll around; with Chandley on board plus their new news set already in place, you know Fox 5 will do whatever it takes to once again become the #1 station in Atlanta.

Archived