Vote for Your Favorite NY Weatherperson (for Charity)

TellyGenic

Weatherist.com is running a poll to find NY's favorite weather person. All the major NY players are listed. Whichever weathercaster gets the most votes by the time the polls close on July 23 will have money given in their name to their favorite charity (the amount given depends on the amount of votes received by the winner). Remember - vote early, vote often!

http://weatherist.com/blog/2014/07/15/vote-for-nycs-favorite-weathercaster

Weatherist.com is running a poll to find NY's favorite weather person. All the major NY players are listed. Whichever weathercaster gets the most votes by the time the polls close on July 23 will have money given in their name to their favorite charity (the amount given depends on the amount of votes received by the winner). Remember - vote early, vote often!

http://weatherist.com/blog/2014/07/15/vote-for-nycs-favorite-weathercaster

This is definitely interesting. I've always been wanting to know what the public thought about all of NYC's weather people. I actually was dying to create a "favorite NYC meteorologist" thread, but I knew the admins would lock it (since that's a list thread).

One thing to note- is GDNY popular because people really love Mike Woods? Sure, he's likeable, but I thought Greg & Rosanna were the major factors that drew viewers. I guess Mike Woods is a major factor for the show's ratings. I remember a quote that he said a while back during the winter. Does anybody remember all of the false hype that NYC was going to get 30 inches of snow according to a facebook page? I remember Mike Woods saying to the public a week in advance "and there's a potential for a blizzard on Monday of next week. and that could be a Monster, so we'll have to watch that one for ya!" (I'm paraphrasing). In my view, he's definitely not the most knowledgeable meteorologist out there. Poor Nick Gregory and Audrey Puente, sure, they are to the point and serious, but they're very accurate and do not hype.

Also, guess what? Mr. G did not get the highest vote for the PIX weather team. Neither did Linda Church (still surpassing Mr. G). It was Craig Allen. He's very popular and well known to New Yorkers. And his forecasts are very accurate. I hope PIX is reading this and plans on promoting him to chief meteorologist and giving G the boot. So, to anyone who thinks Mr. G is very popular and well known to New Yorkers, sure he may be popular and well known, but he's not a good weathercaster and not someone to turn to. The reason why PIX did so well before was because of Kaity and Jim. Not because of Mr. G. If Mr. G was that great, the ratings wouldn't of taken as big of a plunge after the major changes. Craig Allen and Nick Gregory are most likely the two most accurate and well-liked TV mets within the industry (not necessarily the general public), and it would be interesting to see them compete with one another. And on another note, there were two write ins. And they were all for Joe Cioffi. He needs a bigger role at WPIX, he should take weekends if Craig gets promoted to weekdays. And poor Rachel Frank, she should of stayed in CT. There's no use for her at WPIX. She's not that popular, and her spot was formally Chris Knowles' spot. He NEVER fills in anymore. Chris Knowles was VERY popular. He could easily compete with Mike Woods. But then again, Linda could too.

Another HUGE shocker, Raphael Miranda is in second place? Since when did he become so popular? He's my least favorite weather personality on the WNBC weather team. I can not see him taking the chief meteorologist role if Janice does go somewhere. And also, according to this poll, Chris Cimino is very popular as well. I'm sure axing him would cause TINY to take a nosedive in the ratings.

And, although WABC has probably the most popular and well known weather team, their mets have like no votes. Amy Freeze seems to be the most well-liked (probably because of her name and her sexiness), followed by Lee and Bill, which are tied.

As for WCBS, no surprises there. Their weather team is not that solid. Lonnie is seriously an embarrassment to the weather industry (for those who actually know the science like myself), but can appear likeable to the general public. John gets a fair amount of votes due to his silliness and jokes in the morning. He's not a good weathercaster (IMO), but he is something valuable to the morning team. Elise and Vanessa are great mets, but sadly do not get much votes, because they are very serious and to the point.

So, that's my take on all of this. And as you can see, I tried my best to avoid turning this into a list thread. Again, nobody has to agree with me. It's just my opinion.

Mike Woods has always been popular.. He has an easy going personality.. Connects with the viewers and flows well with Rosanna and Greg.. I was there for one of the Good Day shows with the live studio audience and honestly all the staff there is very nice and personable. FOX5 does have some of the nicer people working for them on and off air. Back on topic I'm surprised WABC people didn't get more votes.. Especially Bill Evans..

Archived