Rafer Weigel leaving WLS for KTVI St. Louis

24994J

In a surprising move, ABC 7 weekend sports anchor, and heir apparent to the weekday role, Rafer Weigel is leaving the top-rated station for a hard news anchor role at FOX 2 in St. Louis. His leaves October 5th.

As for his replacement, I haven't the slightest idea where they might go with this one. The last few times a sports vacancy has opened up, the rumor of a female stepping into the role has never materialized. Now, as weekday anchors Mark Giangreco (director) and Jim Rose are taking more days off, it seems like only a matter of a few years before either decides to hang it up. One would think that whoever takes the weekend job will be on the fast track to the lead position.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2014/08/19/rafer-weigel-to-exit-wls-channel-7-for-st-louis.html

WHAT!!!!????

But I always thought Rafer to be a more of a news anchor, than just being a sports anchor. I mean, he hasn't even been at Channel 7 three years? But to me, this is shocking as hell.

Whoever replaces Rafer, they better find a really good replacement that could eventually move to the marquee weekday broadcast. Sadly. they'll probably get a young hire, at best. They might as well hire two new folks, in case at any event both Giangrego & Rose leave subsequentially. The new weekend anchor would eventually do the weekday (and if both leave, that one person would do all the evening shows (they don't really need a sports segment at 4pm, truth be told)), and hire another sports reporter, that might eventually become the new weekend anchor in the future.

It is amazing how good a pick-up Weigel was. I do not envy management on this one, and while I'm sure they could hit a home run, it's going to be a really tough task, considering whoever is hired will be on track to be only the 4th sports director in the station's history (5, if you want to split hairs).

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/08/19/the-son-sets-rafer-weigel-leaving-abc-7/

Feder's post on this makes things sound like they weren't rosy surrounding him and the fast track had closed on him. Essentially he did not fit well at 7 after all.

Personally I would think that either Mark retires first and Jim takes over (that would be pretty logical) or Jim retires and the new person takes over for Jim. IMO they really need to pick up 2 sports people in the near future in anticipation of Mark and Jim hanging it up.

Mark's only a year older than JR. It would seem silly to not just insert the main successor as soon as the first one goes.

I was supposing that one or the other sticks it out 6 or 7 years. I also forgot they are that close in age. It would be nice to have two reporters for a bit and replace both without skipping a beat and saving on a second search but we'll have to see what they do. Of course budget factors into that too.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/08/19/the-son-sets-rafer-weigel-leaving-abc-7/

Feder's post on this makes things sound like they weren't rosy surrounding him and the fast track had closed on him. Essentially he did not fit well at 7 after all.

Personally I would think that either Mark retires first and Jim takes over (that would be pretty logical) or Jim retires and the new person takes over for Jim. IMO they really need to pick up 2 sports people in the near future in anticipation of Mark and Jim hanging it up.

Unfortunately the article did not mention what exactly prompted his departure from the station. Could he have been too overt in his desire to one day be the main sports guy? was he trying to use his father's recognition/fame to get special treatment? Either way, it seems like his colleagues weren't too thrilled to have him around.

Unfortunately the article did not mention what exactly prompted his departure from the station. Could he have been too overt in his desire to one day be the main sports guy? was he trying to use his father's recognition/fame to get special treatment? Either way, it seems like his colleagues weren't too thrilled to have him around.

It could be that he expected to be crowned eventually or thought he was special or that he was not a nice guy. Could also be some combination of them.

Since he's heading to Saint Louis to do anchoring, he must have felt it was a better opportunity so he couldn't have been to happy there either.

• 1 month later...

There's heavy speculation tonight that now-former WFLD weekend sports anchor/reporter Dionne Miller could become Rafer Weigel's replacement.

CRM states that she has voluntarily left the station (her bio is also gone from the website). And Feder stated that his sources states that she met with the higher ups at Channel 7, and she's among the top candidates.

Now if this does stick and she does replace Rafer, then she'll be the first female sports anchor the station has ever had.

There's heavy speculation tonight that now-former WFLD weekend sports anchor/reporter Dionne Miller could become Rafer Weigel's replacement.

CRM states that she has voluntarily left the station (her bio is also gone from the website). And Feder stated that his sources states that she met with the higher ups at Channel 7, and she's among the top candidates.

Now if this does stick and she does replace Rafer, then she'll be the first female sports anchor the station has ever had.

Miller is a capable replacement, but Peggy K., Kerry Sayers and Jill Carlson should also be in the mix.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up hiring two female sports reporters/fill-in anchors. At some point, they need to start thinking about the future. Miller is a capable replacement, but Peggy K., Kerry Sayers and Jill Carlson should also be in the mix imo.

What does hiring two female sports anchors have to do with the future? Two sports anchors I understand, but why specifically female for a position that women are fairly rare in?

What does hiring two female sports anchors have to do with the future? Two sports anchors I understand, but why specifically female for a position that women are fairly rare in?

I meant to delete that 'future' sentence. So...to rephrase, given that it appears they will hire a women to replace Rafer, it would be interesting if they added more than one on a full-time basis and in essence, do something non- traditional (I.e....hiring another male or just one female). Either way, it's good they want to mix things up a bit.

I meant to delete that 'future' sentence. So...to rephrase, given that it appears they will hire a women to replace Rafer, it would be interesting if they added more than one on a full-time basis and in essence, do something non- traditional (I.e....hiring another male or just one female). Either way, it's good they want to mix things up a bit.

Ok I see what you are saying now, thanks for rephrasing that, I completely agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived