Sinclair buying KSNV Las Vegas

padrechuck

Here's what's more confusing. According to a user from another forum (probably the same one), it looks like they'd switched the virtual channels of KSNV & KVMY.

For example, RF 22 (KVMY) is using virtual channel 3. And RF 2 (KSNV) is using virtual channel 21.

So it makes me think Sinclair wants to keep both UHFs and sell out that VHF 2. But aren't they breaking the rules in switching virtual channels like that?

Overlapping signals owned by the same parties can use any of the virtual channel numberss that overlap. There is a string of 4 LPTV's here in Central Ohio that all use virtual channel 39 to be consistent with the virtual channel number in Marion Ohio (even though it is virtual and RF 8 in Columbus). Based on that setup, I thought they had to pick one virtual channel and use it everywhere if they elected to do so. Based the way Sinclair is doing things, It looks like they can use overlapping virtual channel numbers whereever they please.

I also thought they had to have a simulcast to do this, but I guess they don't?

Which begs the question. In a place like Ohio where there are a lot of overlapping signals, I wonder if WKEF might be able to go from being ABC 22 to "ABC 6" under the rules. Since WKEF has always been a dog, maybe a low channel number might help shake things up marketing-wise? Richard Malmos would only have to do one set of voiceovers. But then again, this would probably mess up a lot of OTA tuners in the fringe areas.

Here's what's more confusing. According to a user from another forum (probably the same one), it looks like they'd switched the virtual channels of KSNV & KVMY.

For example, RF 22 (KVMY) is using virtual channel 3. And RF 2 (KSNV) is using virtual channel 21.

Want more confusion? The callsigns just got switched TODAY!!!!

RF 2 (KSNV) is now KVMY. And RF 22 (KVMY) is now KSNV (without the DT or any suffix).

I have come to the conclusion that whoever decides these things at Sinclair must be under the influence of something. I don't know what, but still. Thenagain, much like the other swaps, the "new" KSNV has a more powerful signal.

BINGO.

You already answered the question.

Makes me wonder…couldn't Sinclair simply remap the new KSNV and WCIV to 3.1 and 4.1 even though they're on different digital channels? Why all the confusion?

Unlike what they did in Charleston where they only switched the calls only, they switched both the calls & virtual channels in Vegas.

KSNV on RF 22 is on Virtual Channel 3. The question is, are they even allowed to be switching the virtual channel numbers on two full-power stations, though. Because I thought you don't suppose to be swapping the numbers like that.

Unlike what they did in Charleston where they only switched the calls only, they switched both the calls & virtual channels in Vegas.

KSNV on RF 22 is on Virtual Channel 3. The question is, are they even allowed to be switching the virtual channel numbers on two full-power stations, though. Because I thought you don't suppose to be swapping the numbers like that.

Ah, so KSNV did switch to 3 then. Never mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

HSH will acquire KVMY from IWCC for $1.5M.

Also stated on the paperwork (unrelated to this), is that they're going to file an app to acquire WLYH from Nexstar.

Small nitpick but, based on a cursory reading of the filings I'd like to make a correction.

Sinclair will acquire the remaining assets (license, tower/transmitter, etc.) to KVMY from IWCC for $1.5M.

HSH will then (almost) simultaneously with the above transaction acquire said assets to KVMY from Sinclair for $150k.

Archived