KVEA beats KMEX for first time in 27 years

Samantha

A milestone for KVEA, and possibly even Telemundo's ambitious national news expansion, this month. It dethroned KMEX at 11pm for the first time in 27 years! Nielsen data shows KVEA as number one regardless of language for the month.

The 27 year timeframe puts the last time this happened in 1987 (!!), the year that NetSpan relaunched as Telemundo with KVEA on board.

While I put this in the LA board, it's really great news for the entire network. Telemundo has poured massive investments into local news at all of its stations (not dissimilar to the renaissance of NBC's O&Os under Comcast), adding a new local news window, expanding to weekend news at many stations (in the case of WWSI, an entire new news department), and investing in new sets and equipment across the O&Os. I know in Phoenix that KTAZ is much improved over the last three years, and I'm sure the same thing has happened elsewhere.

Definitely a crowning achievement for Valari Staab and everyone at NBC Owned Stations. From what I have read she's doing a great job managing both NBC & Telemundo local.

Is there any indication on how KNBC did?

I still wonder when Telemundo is planning on expanding Noticiero Telemundo to seven nights a week.

While I put this in the LA board, it's really great news for the entire network. Telemundo has poured massive investments into local news at all of its stations (not dissimilar to the renaissance of NBC's O&Os under Comcast), adding a new local news window, expanding to weekend news at many stations (in the case of WWSI, an entire new news department), and investing in new sets and equipment across the O&Os. I know in Phoenix that KTAZ is much improved over the last three years, and I'm sure the same thing has happened elsewhere.

Yet KVDA is still run by ZGS which means a poorer quality product and the website being called "sanantonio.holacuidad.com" holacuidad.com/sanantonio (close enough). I wish NBCU would regain control of KVDA.

Yet KVDA is still run by ZGS which means a poorer quality product and the website being called "sanantonio.holacuidad.com" holacuidad.com/sanantonio (close enough). I wish NBCU would regain control of KVDA.

KVDA actually is the only non-O&O station that NBCU listed as getting the additional evening newscast on weeknights. And ZGS just added news to its Tampa station, which is noteworthy.

ZGS has news at its El Paso, Fort Myers, Fresno*, Orlando, San Antonio*, Tampa and Washington stations. The most glaring exception to its news output is its New England* station cluster. Fresno's local news was relaunched in 2012, Fort Myers got news at some point, and Tampa got news just this month.

Not only that (alongside gain control of Fresno), but how about NBCU basically buyout the rest of ZGS properties (Providence, Ft. Myers, Tampa, etc.) and put it out of misery. Although highly unlikely with DC since ZGS is based in Arlington, VA. Can you imagine though WRC and WZDC as partners? hmm.

Not only that (alongside gain control of Fresno), but how about NBCU basically buyout the rest of ZGS properties (Providence, Ft. Myers, Tampa, etc.) and put it out of misery. Although highly unlikely with DC since ZGS is based in Arlington, VA. Can you imagine though WRC and WZDC as partners? hmm.

I can't see NBC doing that. ZGS is a Hispanic-owned firm, for one, and I liken it to Telemundo's strategic equivalent of Entravision.

Archived