Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to have a great news department that's able to do more now with Scripps' investment into the station. Unfortunately they are set back by a horrible creative services department. Hopefully once they settle in they'll turn their attention to that.

I wouldn't say their creative services department is horrible, but rather, severely undermanned. Hell, they just hired a webmaster digital director after not having one for four years.

That being said, a total rebuild of the entire creative services department has to be one of their top priorities now. The promos they put together earlier in the thread were at about C level. I didn't think they were awful, if not because they were much better than anything WKBW has done in recent years. But simply airing a test pattern for 15 or 30 seconds would have been an improvement.

They have to do much better, and quick.

Really? "Now, with 7 First Alert Weather, this is 7 Eyewitness News at 11." That's the best opening script they could come up with? Hearing the first half of that, it sounds more like a weathercast open than an entire newscast open.

Do they have a slogan at all? Usually that would go where the weather mention was. "Now from the station that's on your side" or something.

Do they have a slogan at all? Usually that would go where the weather mention was. "Now from the station that's on your side" or something.

"We Know Buffalo Weather" was the closest thing to a slogan they've had in years. The last official slogan they used was "Live, Local, Late Breaking" from the "7 News" era.

I would have simply used the "On Your Side" slogan... or even WXYZ's old "7 Stands for News" slogan.

Note that WKBW used the AccuWeather name since the CapCities days (probably adopting it when WPVI did) so the usage of "7 First Alert Weather" probably does need to be reinforced somewhat.

Actually the logo they used when it was owned by CapCities was kind of KMGH's logo... it kind of mutated into the logo you see today. (They were using both back in 1982 apparently...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yaP_e_-GH

Huh, interesting. It is similar in that it's a serif 7 inside the circle, which seems to be pretty rare. I doubt there's any relation between them though. KMGH was a CBS affiliate then, and their serif circle 7 was a TVbD creation circa 1998.

Well damn.....if WKBW can keep MCTYW with the Scripps look, I'd like to see WEWS bring back Gari's "Catch 5" (at least the signature in a quasi-custom music package) and the ORIGINAL circle 5 logo (like WPTV's).

But it was Scripps behind the wheel when they undid WEWS last decade to the point that they slipped behind WOIO and brought "back" the Circle 5 in its current mutated form. When the first Scripps look came out in 2009, it was a massive improvement over the last package, which suffered from mutation due to Scripps desperately trying to rebrand the station after the retirement of longtime anchor Ted Henry.

I noticed the Inergy swipes right away. Completely out of place. If they were silent, it would have worked BETTER... but it's still awkward.

Granted, they're talking over what, for me, has been codified for my 31 years on Earth as the complete 17 second opening cut of The Action News Theme. If it was the bumper cut that WPVI uses, it would flow a hell of a lot better... but it still would be incredibly jarring.

Honestly, I agree that MCTYW should be used - but...

...why not use it as the close?

I'm not saying use the vocals like WPVI does. But that looping cut WKBW was using would work as a close. Even if it's rushed, you'd still have enough time to play the outro over the lighthouse tag. You're honoring your past while keeping a coherent, modern presentation for the bulk of your newscast.

---

As far as the graphics, while the logo needed to be changed entirely, everything else is orders of magnitude better than what they were using. That's kind of the beauty of standardized graphics - even your smallest market station can look like a top-20 market station if you do it correctly.

In promos... well, for a station that's only been owned by a competent broadcaster for only three months, I'd say they look quite good considering. It took over a year for the full impact of Comcast ownership to kick in on WCAU. I'd say a year from now the promos will be a hell of a lot nicer.

THIS. I ship this.

I like the Inergy swipes. It helps modernize the MCTYW cuts a bit.

But it doesn't mesh. It's not even in the same key. It's not even in the same anything.

AM Buffalo also got the Scripps L3s, as evidenced by their video postings today. The theme music, logo, and opening (which was simple to begin with) were retained.

Some of the sponsored segments were clearly recorded last week and still had the old mic flags, and even the opening segment had Linda Pellagrino* give an "AccuWeather" forecast with the old weather graphics. So it was a bizarre combination of old and new.

That being said, I would expect for Scripps to not only retain "AM Bflo," but possibly develop similar talk/infotainment shows on the legacy Scripps stations. It's pretty much similar to Journal's "Morning Blend" franchise.

*Linda was a weatherperson prior to "AM Buffalo," so she probably said it out of habit.

As far as the graphics, while the logo needed to be changed entirely, everything else is orders of magnitude better than what they were using. That's kind of the beauty of standardized graphics - even your smallest market station can look like a top-20 market station if you do it correctly.

In promos... well, for a station that's only been owned by a competent broadcaster for only three months, I'd say they look quite good considering. It took over a year for the full impact of Comcast ownership to kick in on WCAU. I'd say a year from now the promos will be a hell of a lot nicer.

OK, I was being too harsh. You're right, they need more people in Creative Services, especially people who can create great graphics. I assume that's a priority for them and it'll take some time. I guess I'll check back this time next year.

THIS. I ship this.

But it doesn't mesh. It's not even in the same key. It's not even in the same anything.

It's not supposed to mesh. Jarring how out-of-date some 1970s music is... If it doesn't sound good (MCTYW) then maybe they shouldn't use it.

That being said, I would expect for Scripps to not only retain "AM Bflo," but possibly develop similar talk/infotainment shows on the legacy Scripps stations. It's pretty much similar to Journal's "Morning Blend" franchise.

Some of their legacy stations already do something similar to "AM Bflo". I know KSHB has Kansas City Live and KNXV has "Sonoran Living".

It's not supposed to mesh. Jarring how out-of-date some 1970s music is... If it doesn't sound good (MCTYW) then maybe they shouldn't use it.

Um... so if we splice mozart and rap alternating it'll still sound ok? There has to be some flow to it.

Um... so if we splice mozart and rap alternating it'll still sound ok?

Sadly, this was the first thing that came to my mind.

[yt]4MFbn8EbB4k[/yt]

Nice but it didn't age all that well.

MCTYW just needs to be dropped everywhere. It old, the sound isn't very good, and doesn't mesh with today's newscasts.

Only WPVI and WKBW use MCTYW in some way today (WNEP uses a theme based largely off of MCTYW). WKBW retained their usage for heritage purposes, while the theme is so ingrained and tied with the Delaware Valley's Leading News Program itself that WPVI may never be able to retire it.

Some of their legacy stations already do something similar to "AM Bflo". I know KSHB has Kansas City Live and KNXV has "Sonoran Living".

It's not a program per se but WEWS has a 3-5 minute daily sponsored segment after the noon news titled "Spotlight 5."

I noticed the Inergy swipes right away. Completely out of place. If they were silent, it would have worked BETTER... but it's still awkward.

Granted, they're talking over what, for me, has been codified for my 31 years on Earth as the complete 17 second opening cut of The Action News Theme. If it was the bumper cut that WPVI uses, it would flow a hell of a lot better... but it still would be incredibly jarring.

I'm not saying use the vocals like WPVI does. But that looping cut WKBW was using would work as a close. Even if it's rushed, you'd still have enough time to play the outro over the lighthouse tag. You're honoring your past while keeping a coherent, modern presentation for the bulk of your newscast.

Agreed.

Right now, it looks as if they are using MCTYW in a transitional phase... to give it the respect while unveiling the new look and sound. And in a few months, they can quietly and smoothly move it to the end of the newscast while phasing in Inergy on the opening tease.

I really hope Scripps comes up with better graphics after the Journal merger goes through. Recoloring is lazy and makes it look like it's a news program.

WXYZ used the Cool Hand Luke "Tar Sequence" as a newscast close long after the ABC O&Os retired it, for pretty much the same reason, and only stopped using it after the early 90s licensing fee increases. It's arguable that had it not been for those licensing issues, WXYZ could still be utilizing "Tar Sequence" as a newscast close to this day.

And WKBW learned the hard way what happens when everything related to their heritage is junked (i.e., the "7 NEWS" switchover in 2003). It's nice that Scripps is allowing MCTYW to be used respectfully alongside Inergy, but MCTYW simply cannot carry a newscast by itself any longer.

Thought I'd add something to what we were talking about earlier:

It looks like they stopped using The Tar Sequence in 1984. Everything beyond that that I can find uses NS 2000 and then stimulus so my 1995 date was way wrong, maybe they were using it for something else? closes?

Here is a handy video somebody put together with all the opens and with a list of when everything is from:

The dates check out graphically so he's got that right.

Thought I'd add something to what we were talking about earlier:

It looks like they stopped using The Tar Sequence in 1984. Everything beyond that that I can find uses NS 2000 and then stimulus so my 1995 date was way wrong, maybe they were using it for something else? closes?

Here is a handy video somebody put together with all the opens and with a list of when everything is from:

The dates check out graphically so he's got that right.

WYXZ used the original Tar Sequence cue for newscast opens/opening teases as late as 1987.

[yt]lJBLlMzhocg[/yt]

[yt]bpz1pc6kQQ4[/yt]

And they used it for newscast closes after adopting NS 2000.

[yt]4VP62OfrlkQ[/yt]

[yt]SLNIibJfW14[/yt]

This newscast from 1987 had NS 2000 in the tease and Tar Sequence in the open!

[yt]TLEYJQBybGE[/yt]

By 1991 (if not earlier), they used an NS 2000 cut that was pretty much a total redo of the Tar Sequence at the close.

[yt]5slq5xJZ9nk[/yt]

Note in the 1986 and 1987 opens, WXYZ used Futura for their "Action News" lettering and L3s. It wasn't until 1988 that they began using Univers for the "Action News" lettering in the newscast open.

[yt]c74JAdwDa-I[/yt]

Thanks for posting that, I'm glad we got that nailed down better. It looks like they went through a definite transition phase in the late 80's and early 90's, it's interesting how much they alternated music then. They seemed to change sets and opens a lot then too, it looks like that part has been with them since they got sold to Scripps just like the univers lettering. The rainbow graphics open was their longest lived of the bunch at a whopping 3 or 4 years. They have serious problems with consistency and it seems like it's systemic.

Archived