Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is WKBW putting a huge emphasis on weather? I hope this is not crap their consultants told them to do...

They had been using the AccuWeather brand since the 1970s, if not earlier. It's pretty significant for them to rename it "7 First Alert Weather."

That's probably why their consultants are recommending for them to reinforce the new brand as much as possible.

They had been using the AccuWeather brand since the 1970s, if not earlier. It's pretty significant for them to rename it "7 First Alert Weather."

That's probably why their consultants are recommending for them to reinforce the new brand as much as possible.

Semi-surprised they'd change, but I'm sure that they either could not keep using the AccuWeather name OR that they wanted a new weather name more in line with other TV stations.

Those new weather graphics are coming from WSI machines. The Accuweather brand was likely dropped because they're movung off the Accuweather software and thus lose the ability to use that brand.

WSI has been handling Scripps stations for a while now so this isn't too surprising really. WSI makes some decent stuff anyway. As for how they are implemented... your mileage will vary.

WSI has been handling Scripps stations for a while now so this isn't too surprising really. WSI makes some decent stuff anyway. As for how they are implemented... your mileage will vary.

As always WMAR is late to the party.

First off, I would say the new open is a big upgrade from the old one (yeah, yeah, I'm late to the party). Glad WKBW kept MCTYW for the tease and I wasn't expecting a new voiceover. IMO, John Young's voiceover would've been perfect for that new open. And the swiping sounds need to go.

Anyway, here's a column from Sunday's "Buffalo News": "Channel 7's rise could benefit from questionable moves from (WIVB) Channel 4"

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/alan-pergament/channel-7s-rise-could-benefit-from-questionable-moves-at-channel-4-20140928

Edit: WKBW's website has a new banner.

That tease was just terrible; MCTYW and Inergy are from two completely different eras. The VO lacked conviction. The graphics are 500 times better than the crap they replaced, but that wasn't hard to begin with. The logo is meh. Overall, I'd say this is just like the Gannett pack from 2012: it's better than the mess it replaced, but the execution could have been better.

MCTYW just needs to be dropped everywhere. It old, the sound isn't very good, and doesn't mesh with today's newscasts.

I could see that, but I'd bet that MCTYW won't disappear from some TV screens for decades to come. We love to rat on about how nobody gives a s*** about news music (except for us,) but WPVI is the exception that will keep MCTYW going for the foreseeable future. Barring some dramatic standardization attempt at ABC, I'd say that WPVI will be the MCTYW holdout.

As for MCTYW itself, I actually think that more stations should pick up the WNEP remix from the 1990s and drop the 1972 cuts. The WNEP cuts sound a bit more modern while keeping the 1972 signature.

As for MCTYW itself, I actually think that more stations should pick up the WNEP remix from the 1990s and drop the 1972 cuts. The WNEP cuts sound a bit more modern while keeping the 1972 signature.

You're kidding, right? That WNEP remix is awful. I'd take the real thing anyday.

WKBW has uploaded the first few minutes of their 6:30 half hour in case you're interested. Maybe ns8401 can help me out as someone living in Detroit, but it seems like the approach is similar to WWJ's "First Forecast Mornings" from a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAyNcIC9U6g

Some comments:

-It's much better than First Forecast Mornings ever was, that show was a complete embarrassment for WWJ.

-The weather stuff that they use is better than what WXYZ is using, we don't have a wind field chart or a nice blue and gold label for the different features. It's all 2011 stuff based on the last graphics package. The stations converted to this graphics package fared better weather-wise than the existing ones. Although WXYZ is one of the few not to get the blue and gold label bands. It may be the only one but I don't know that for a fact.

-For all the complaints about WKBW, there were few errors in it, I'm assuming they were automated by Scripps already. If not than thats why it looked better. Some stations have good operators that can run Ignite effectively and others like WXYZ have operators that need to be retrained. It's luck of the draw weather a given newscast will be a production disaster or not.

Overall it's not bad for all the grief that's been given to WKBW, I was expecting much worse.

Judging by their website, there are a lot of interesting reports originating from there, at least as of late. "Afghan Soldiers tell their perspective" is one of the more fascinating story ideas I've seen in awhile.

This is clearly a station that has the right people in place. As I saw with WCAU, you get committed ownership and competitive management and you have something.

Judging by their website, there are a lot of interesting reports originating from there, at least as of late. "Afghan Soldiers tell their perspective" is one of the more fascinating story ideas I've seen in awhile.

This is clearly a station that has the right people in place. As I saw with WCAU, you get committed ownership and competitive management and you have something.

And people watched that report. 'KB beat WGRZ to be #1 at 11pm on Thursday night. (WIVB was obviously delayed due to Thursday night football.)

That level of reporting would leave a heck of a first impression on me, especially if I was tuning into the 'new look' WKBW for the first time.

I happened to watch a livestream of WNEM. It has a very low-budget feel to it that emlulates the current Scripps graphics.

Almost to the point if the existing staff from the Granite days was tasked with "Scripps-a-fying" WKBW in house.

Bad 3D, cheap animations, and nothing matches anything else. They're still in Widescreen SD. But in Flint/Saginaw, this is probably a massive improvement over the former Barrington (now Howard Stirk) station there.

I post this here because the quality of the graphics was on the level of what WKBW's been putting out before Scripps stepped in, and the irony of it being "based" off the Scripps look!

I happened to watch a livestream of WNEM. It has a very low-budget feel to it that emlulates the current Scripps graphics.

Almost to the point if the existing staff from the Granite days was tasked with "Scripps-a-fying" WKBW in house.

Bad 3D, cheap animations, and nothing matches anything else. They're still in Widescreen SD. But in Flint/Saginaw, this is probably a massive improvement over the former Barrington (now Howard Stirk) station there.

I post this here because the quality of the graphics was on the level of what WKBW's been putting out before Scripps stepped in, and the irony of it being "based" off the Scripps look!

Yep, we covered that in the "Knockoff" thread a few months back.

For some reason, the video I posted in there was removed by the original uploader, but here's another example...

[yt]Om4g1kC9GhA[/yt]

If they're going to leave the L3 up, do they REALLY have to re-cue the entire thing every time they switch text on it?

• 3 weeks later...

More news...

WKBW has hired the executive producer of WIVB. He will soon be its new assistant news director.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/10/24/channel-7-hires-executive-producer-channel-4-news/

...and not only that, the station also made some tweaks to its weekday morning show.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/10/23/channel-7-makes-smart-newsworthy-tweaks-new-morning-program/

Those new weather graphics are coming from WSI machines. The Accuweather brand was likely dropped because they're movung off the Accuweather software and thus lose the ability to use that brand.

...Given that WPVI has had "AccuWeather" since the dawn of mankind, and they've been using WSI stuff for quite a few years now...

I really don't think you have to use AccuWeather equipment in order to get the rights to the name. WPVI might be a special case though, since I think they were the first station to use AccuWeather?

Granted, all four stations use WSI, and all four have something different...

...Given that WPVI has had "AccuWeather" since the dawn of mankind, and they've been using WSI stuff for quite a few years now...

I really don't think you have to use AccuWeather equipment in order to get the rights to the name. WPVI might be a special case though, since I think they were the first station to use AccuWeather?

Granted, all four stations use WSI, and all four have something different...

I think that's because ABC must have a deal with AccuWeather. Wasn't Good Morning America branded as AccuWeather for a while although they use WSI as their graphics system? Also after doing a quick search it appears that AccuWeather provides the content for the ABC O&O websites in addition it appears that their forecasts are branded as such in NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Raleigh.

I spoke with an AccuWeather rep once at a conference. She said they offer different levels of affiliation. One of which includes only the branding. Another includes branding and the graphics program. I honestly don't remember what the 3rd level includes

I spoke with an AccuWeather rep once at a conference. She said they offer different levels of affiliation. One of which includes only the branding. Another includes branding and the graphics program. I honestly don't remember what the 3rd level includes

Could the third level include on-air talent - such as used by smaller or startup news operations that have yet to invest into weather? (IIRC, WFQX/WFUP in Cadillac/Traverse City/Sault Ste. Marie used AccuWeather on-air talent before being absorbed into WWTV/WWUPs news operation, among other stations).

J

More news...

WKBW has hired the executive producer of WIVB. He will soon be its new assistant news director.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/10/24/channel-7-hires-executive-producer-channel-4-news/

...and not only that, the station also made some tweaks to its weekday morning show.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/10/23/channel-7-makes-smart-newsworthy-tweaks-new-morning-program/

I'm actually shocked that WIVB is hemorrhaging talent like this. Is LIN/MG really in that bad a situation after the WISH-CBS debacle?

As for KB's morning show, well, they have nowhere to go but up. I don't see a problem with experimenting the way they have.

Archived