Special Logos & News Opens for Sports Teams

rkolsen

Since the Orioles are in the playoffs two local stations have decided to change things up a bit.

WBAL has updated their translucent logos to all orange where it animates first showing the Oriole bird, then the Orioles name, and then finally their orange tinted logo:

[yt]vdazlcTExCc[/yt]

WBAL-LOGO-ORIOLES.jpg

WJZ has decided to update their news introduction featuring the Oriole bird as the Pupil in the CBS EYE:

[yt]cXsdMIyqRck[/yt]

Eyewitness-11PM-News-Recorded-Oct-1-2014-WJZDT_7-e1412337126965.jpg

Do any of your local stations do anything similar? I don't have a video or screen shot of it but WBAL does normally change their on air bug during on all programming for Purple Fridays. A few years ago when the Orioles were doing well the logo on Friday would start out with their Ravens Broadcast Team Logo, then the Raven's logo, finally the all purple version of their logo and then a minute later it would animate through the orange cycle.

I am surprised they got away with this. The CBS Eye-dentity Guidelines explicitly illustrate that nothing should ever be place in the Inner Circle of the Eye.

Also:

• "Never combine or overlap the CBS Eye with any third party's logo, appearing to create a new logo."

I am surprised they got away with this. The CBS Eye-dentity Guidelines explicitly illustrate that nothing should ever be place in the Inner Circle of the Eye.

Also:

• "Never combine or overlap the CBS Eye with any third party's logo, appearing to create a new logo."

Yeah, well, WJZ's CSD seems to like rebelling from CBS edicts; but this really goes against established stuff. One wonders how he's been there for so long.

I almost wonder if WJZ does not send their master control signal/output up to New York and if that's could be a reason of why they can get away with this stuff. (I only bring this up because I saw some pictures from ABC and NBC where they each have multi viewers set up where they can monitor the signal from their O&Os).

When the Bears went to the Super Bowl in 2007, WBBM replaced all of the CBS 2 logos in the studio with orange variants of the logo and placed several orange decorative lights around the studio and on the news desk. I think they made both the newscast bug and the syndicated programming bug blue and orange, and I also recall them using special navy blue and orange lower thirds throughout their entire newscasts. They did this for the whole week leading up to the Super Bowl, concluding with the late newscast after the Bears laid an egg and lost the Super Bowl.

When the Bears went to the Super Bowl in 2007, WBBM replaced all of the CBS 2 logos in the studio with orange variants of the logo and placed several orange decorative lights around the studio and on the news desk. I think they made both the newscast bug and the syndicated programming bug blue and orange, and I also recall them using special navy blue and orange lower thirds throughout their entire newscasts. They did this for the whole week leading up to the Super Bowl, concluding with the late newscast after the Bears laid an egg and lost the Super Bowl.

I remember the game was on CBS that year which was probably why WBBM did all of that.

Surprisingly enough, none of the KC stations have, at least not that I've seen (although truthfully I basically only watch KSHB). Given this is the first time we've made the playoffs in 29 years, longer than any other team in North America, you would think that we'd do something special like that too. Although KSHB has devoted upwards of the first 7 minutes of all their newscasts the past week to Royals coverage.

KCPQ, as the official station of the Seahawks, put the Seahawks' emblem under its bug during syndicated programming during last year's post-season and during the pre-season this year.

The colors they seem to use for their graphics seem to be similar to the Seahawks colors as well, although that could possibly be just a coincidence.

The colors they seem to use for their graphics seem to be similar to the Seahawks colors as well, although that could possibly be just a coincidence.

Not a coincidence. That's KTLA's pkg and as you see, the standard colors are blue and orange. The stations that picked it up, such as WOWK in Charleston, use the standard colors. So KCPQ likely requested those colors.

Archived