WLS produced 7pm newscast on WCIU

jtgh922

Starting January 12th, WLS will produce a 7pm hour long newscast on WCIU. Linda You and Hosea Sanders will anchor, with Jim Rose on sports and newly hired Cheryl Scott with weather. Terrell Brown will move to mornings.

http://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/abc7-partners-with-wciu-tv-for-chicagos-only-7pm-newscast/438673/

Wow, and a day after the necessary official introduction of Cheryl Scott, the big news finally drops both in terms of how they will utilize Cheryl Scott in the interim and in terms of how they will finally shake up the morning newscast after months and months of rumors.

Are they really going to keep Mike, Jerry, and Cheryl all on duty during the same 4-hour window? That seems a little bizarre. I wonder if we'll be seeing a shakeup in the weather department sooner rather than later.

Holy shit.

I know that, until a month ago, 5 ABC-owned stations were producing off-net newscasts. Then, KFSN dropped theirs and KABC shifted theirs, and I thought ABC was getting out of this business. I did wonder if WLS or WBBM would ever take this leap. I sure as hell would've NEVER thought of this team.

Cubs on Friday. Cheryl Scott on Monday. WCIU news on Tuesday. What on Earth are they going to announce TOMORROW?

Now I'm in front of a computer, so...

Round Two of Reaction:

1. Hosea becomes the main male evening fill-in?
  2. Linda wouldn't keep doing 'WCL'?
  3. Does anyone fill in for them, or will the broadcast just be solo-anchored?
  4. With 3.5 hours of evening newscasts, have we seen the last of one-man and/or one-woman anchored nights?

Starting January 12th, WLS will produce a 7pm hour long newscast on WCIU. Linda You and Hosea Sanders will anchor, with Jim Rose on sports and newly hired Cheryl Scott with weather. Terrell Brown will move to mornings.

http://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/abc7-partners-with-wciu-tv-for-chicagos-only-7pm-newscast/438673/

Wow, that was quick, that'll build up her chops to take a spot on the big shows. I can't imagine this will be super highly rated though, I give it a couple years.

I give it a couple years.

I think that's all they need. By then, Jerry, Ron, and Linda will be retired, Hosea can move back to the main station, and Terrell and Cheryl get permanent roles immediately.

I wouldn't worry about ratings. In all likelihood, this newscast will rate higher than what they are currently offering on The U. Could WCIU also land those 45 Cubs games and work with WLS in producing them?

Now I'm in front of a computer, so...

Round Two of Reaction:

• Hosea becomes the main male evening fill-in?
  • Linda wouldn't keep doing 'WCL'?
  • Does anyone fill in for them, or will the broadcast just be solo-anchored?
  • With 3.5 hours of evening newscasts, have we seen the last of one-man and/or one-woman anchored nights?

Feder is reporting Sanders will contribute at 4, 5 and 6pm and will be heading some sort of community involvement initiative.

Feder is reporting Sanders will contribute at 4, 5 and 6pm and will be heading some sort of community involvement initiative.

And Linda stated on Twitter that she'll still be on at 11. As for Hosea, I still wouldn't be shocked if he becomes Alan's main back-up at 4, and even Ron's at 5. I would also guess that Cheryl Burton might be the main fill-in at 7, but that's still undetermined.

• 3 weeks later...

So is Hosea going to be doing the morning news this week, or will Terrell be "filling in" for Hosea while they do rehearsals for the 7 PM news, which is only a week away?

A farewell is in the works for Friday, but I see no reason why he wouldn't do most/all of the week.

So is Hosea going to be doing the morning news this week, or will Terrell be "filling in" for Hosea while they do rehearsals for the 7 PM news, which is only a week away?

Are they doing rehearsals? If they are, they could do it at a different hour of the day, possibly after WCL.

Archived