Late Late Show broadcasting from CBS This Morning studio

Spring Rubber

Tonight and last night's Late Late Show with guest host Regis Philbin were taped on the CBS This Morning set, and Charlie Rose was one of the guests on tonight's show. The show was also produced by the CBS News division instead of Worldwide Pants.

Man, it was so weird seeing "The Late Late Show" in a news environment with no audience and no comedy. Sure, there were a couple of humorous quips by some of the guests, especially when David Letterman picked on James Corden, but other than that, it was a serious interview show from start to finish aside from the Counting Crows musical performance at the end. It was almost reminiscent of the Tom Snyder Late Late Show, just on a much brighter set.

If you had the CBS News division producing The Late Late Show on your bingo cards, you may now mark that square off.

Tonight and last night's Late Late Show with guest host Regis Philbin were taped on the CBS This Morning set, and Charlie Rose was one of the guests on tonight's show. The show was also produced by the CBS News division instead of Worldwide Pants.

Man, it was so weird seeing "The Late Late Show" in a news environment with no audience and no comedy. Sure, there were a couple of humorous quips by some of the guests, especially when David Letterman picked on James Corden, but other than that, it was a serious interview show from start to finish aside from the Counting Crows musical performance at the end. It was almost reminiscent of the Tom Snyder Late Late Show, just on a much brighter set.

If you had the CBS News division producing The Late Late Show on your bingo cards, you may now mark that square off.

It felt a lot like a throwback to The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder. I enjoyed it.

So weird having Whitney Cummings host from the CBS TM studio, especially the monologue. Couldn't CBS have produced the show from some other studio in the Broadcast Center, and have an audience?

I do have to say, it was a pretty original and daring idea, "Lets have a traditional late night talk show, but let's do it in a news studio with no audience!"

It was awkward in some regards, yet at the same time, it was almost humorous in and of itself that there was no audience. You know how everybody pretty much decided that sitcoms are better off without laugh tracks and that the viewers should decide for themselves whether or not something is funny? These shows from the CBS This Morning studio are almost the same thing; you have to decide for yourself if something is funny with no audience input. I'm not necessarily saying that I prefer late night shows to be done this way; I'm just saying that I think it's a really interesting concept to try out.

So weird having Whitney Cummings host from the CBS TM studio, especially the monologue. Couldn't CBS have produced the show from some other studio in the Broadcast Center, and have an audience?

Well, remember that "Late Late" never had a house band during Tom Snyder, Kilborn and CraigyFerg's tenures, let alone a live announcer.

So it's not THAT surprising for me to see the show taped in an unconventional setting like the CTM set.

Speaking of Corden's show, the network released the logo--I assume during the AFC Championship game on Sunday.

Late_Late_Show_With_James_Corden_Logo.png

Saw this on Wikipedia with a part of the article revealing it was revealed during the game, but somehow got removed for some reason. It's not the official logo as of yet, so this is what is used for now.

It's really nice, especially the use of Black & White in the name.

During the cold open for tonight's show, guest host Adam Pally was on the streets using a microphone with a flag that had the CBS This Morning logo on one side and a partially ripped off Early Show logo on the other side. I wonder if they actually use this flag on the real CBS This Morning (just always with the correct logo showing). I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Archived