Houston's 10pm Newscasts: some thoughts

WXmanTim

Haven't watched the 10pm newscasts in Houston for quite a while before tonight.

Some thoughts, from a purely cosmetic point off view:

KTRK: it apparently takes 2 anchors (Ilona Carson & Erik Barajas) to replace 1 Dave Ward.

KPRC: Why do they bother even having Bill Balleza on the program when Dominique Sachse reads the majority of the stories.

KHOU: good balance between both anchors.

It's no wonder the time slot is a toss up most nights.

I was under the impression that Ilona Carson had been added (if only unofficially) to KTRK's late news long before Dave left the broadcast. How do they handle it, though? Obviously Gina is still there, but who sits beside her?

I was under the impression that Ilona Carson had been added (if only unofficially) to KTRK's late news long before Dave left the broadcast. How do they handle it, though? Obviously Gina is still there, but who sits beside her?

From the times I've watched it Ilona has always been the one that sits next to Gina with Erik off to the side basically doing in-studio reporting.

I have some thoughts on KTRK. My thoughts were to have Art Rascon to add the 10pm anchoring duties in addition to Live at 5, or to have Tom Koch leave the morning news and anchor

the 10pm in addition to his 4pm duties.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Ilona and Erik were the 4 pm anchors and Tom was just exclusively on the mornings. Last time I watched KTRK the teams were:

Tom & Samica - mornings

Art & Melanie - 11 am & 5 pm

Ilona & Erik - 4 & 6:30

Gina & Dave - 6

Ilona & Gina (with Erik off to the side) - 10

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Ilona and Erik were the 4 pm anchors and Tom was just exclusively on the mornings. Last time I watched KTRK the teams were:

Tom & Samica - mornings

Art & Melanie - 11 am & 5 pm

Ilona & Erik - 4 & 6:30

Gina & Dave - 6

Ilona & Gina (with Erik off to the side) - 10

This is correct though it should be noted that Samica hasnt been confirmed as the new morning co-anchor for whatever that's worth. Channel 13 late night newscast is such a mess right now. Ilona is one of the best in Houston but she shouldn't be paired with Gina Gaston. 10 PM should be Gina & Art. Art Rascon or Tom Koch should replace Dave Ward not Erik Barajas. Tom and Gina already host every major event Ch13 broadcasts and their chemistry is unmatched in the market.

Archived