WMAR Launches New Set Tonight

rkolsen

What I am noticing is that the branding on the desks does not use the current Scripps package. Does this mean new graphics to come?

Ah, it just wouldn't be TVNT without wild speculation about new graphics over something minor.

My sources say Scripps is converting the current graphics package to Viz for the Journal stations. There aren't going to be new graphics for a long time. The current package is versatle enough that it won't be totally replaced for years.

Ah, it just wouldn't be TVNT without wild speculation about new graphics over something minor.

My sources say Scripps is converting the current graphics package to Viz for the Journal stations. There aren't going to be new graphics for a long time. The current package is versatle enough that it won't be totally replaced for years.

If they are in the process of switching to Viz that explains why the graphics appear to be more animated and look better / brighter. Just a few little things have changed in the last month or so such has how OTS appears before the final product would appear on air but now it animates from a little box to the full size.

And Weeters regarding the speculation:

Since the Scripps logo appears no where on the set does that mean they plan on selling WMAR ? ;) J/K

They are gonna let them get stale.... great. If it is as versatile as they think it is maybe they will simply refresh and remake the current package or parts of it. They have to eventually tweek something.

They are gonna let them get stale.... great. If it is as versatile as they think it is maybe they will simply refresh and remake the current package or parts of it. They have to eventually tweek something.

Yeah that's pretty upsetting. It would take months to roll them out at the Journal stations as well. I'm willing to bet it'll be the next Winter Olympics before there's a new one.

Well, yeah. We'll see what happens with the Viz implementation of the package. I could imagine them making some changes (I can't imagine the Journal stations, especially WTMJ who likes to make everything twice as big as it needs to be, being happy with the existing Scripps L3), but the white, orange and blue look in general is likely here to stay for a while.

Also, as far as I know, only the former Journal stations have Viz right now. Anything that looks different on a pre-merger Scripps station is unrelated.

Well, yeah. We'll see what happens with the Viz implementation of the package. I could imagine them making some changes (I can't imagine the Journal stations, especially WTMJ who likes to make everything twice as big as it needs to be, being happy with the existing Scripps L3), but the white, orange and blue look in general is likely here to stay for a while.

Also, as far as I know, only the former Journal stations have Viz right now. Anything that looks different on a pre-merger Scripps station is unrelated.

I would be happy if they ditched the orange altogether... If it turned blue that would be great... they finally redid our social box blue... except for the orange in the transitions and lettering it almost looks like a simple flat evolution of our 2009 package now. The more blue and white it gets the happier I get with it.

Off the top of my head the only Scripps station that has gotten new sets that was designed for anchors to sit down is WRTV. One thing I've noticed is that it seems like the WMAR anchors are having trouble staying on their mark where they sway and lean against the desk. As a person who has back problems and multiple surgeries for them I would have trouble standing in place for a long time. It's one thing if your walking but to stand still it would be difficult for any person (there's a reason why cashiers wear comfortable shoes and stand on mats).

WMAR's set appears it was designed to accommodate chairs behind the desk where the chair & anchors legs would be concealed.

Off the top of my head the only Scripps station that has gotten new sets that was designed for anchors to sit down is WRTV. One thing I've noticed is that it seems like the WMAR anchors are having trouble staying on their mark where they sway and lean against the desk. As a person who has back problems and multiple surgeries for them I would have trouble standing in place for a long time. It's one thing if your walking but to stand still it would be difficult for any person (there's a reason why cashiers wear comfortable shoes and stand on mats).

WMAR's set appears it was designed to accommodate chairs behind the desk where the chair & anchors legs would be concealed.

The standing always looked extremely uncomfortable to me.

@rkolsen- okay but it's just that you haven't added anything from WMAR in a while

That was mainly because their presentation did not look good with a dated poorly lit set where the presenters looked flat and where graphics looked like they stutter. When I post something I want to post their best product. Right now it appears everything was fixed with this new set but I want to wait until they polish their product further.

Okay, the 11 PM newscast was good and mistake free. So here's a montage of some of the segments and shot blockings used in their new set. I just noticed the subtle movements of the LED panels on each side of the monitor array. I like it.

[yt]nub37QGDeXI[/yt]

The above video did not include any shots of the monitor array that is on the far end of their studio that is used for In Focus. Just for good measure here's a video I posted last year of this portion of the set:

[yt]hlgmLn0G3wo[/yt]

Do all the other Scripps stations plaster ads all over their weather? Seems like every one that I see does it...

I dislike the L3's that have text on both lines ala a newspaper headline. Why even have anchors? Those L3's give the whole story away. We use those all white L3's basically exclusively. My favorite is the one they used for the governor story... Blue with white trim and only 1 line. Never used here either.

I see WMAR has current weather graphics too... Ugh. Wish we had them.

Okay, the 11 PM newscast was good and mistake free. So here's a montage of some of the segments and shot blockings used in their new set. I just noticed the subtle movements of the LED panels on each side of the monitor array. I like it.

[yt]nub37QGDeXI[/yt]

The above video did not include any shots of the monitor array that is on the far end of their studio that is used for In Focus. Just for good measure here's a video I posted last year of this portion of the set:

[yt]hlgmLn0G3wo[/yt]

At the 8:08 mark of the first video you posted, you can see the area used for In Focus on the left side. The only difference is that the color-changing LED panels were in blue at the time and not red like it usually is.

Do all the other Scripps stations plaster ads all over their weather? Seems like every one that I see does it...

I dislike the L3's that have text on both lines ala a newspaper headline. Why even have anchors? Those L3's give the whole story away. We use those all white L3's basically exclusively. My favorite is the one they used for the governor story... Blue with white trim and only 1 line. Never used here either.

The weather/ticker sponsorship is a pet peeve of mine. I wish they would resize it to scale and center it below the descriptor band that shows abc2news.com diagonally. I also wish they kept the time and temp up in all newscasts. That empty space under the bug and ticker looks odd to me.

Fro, what I've seen of other sponsorships locally is that they scale the logo to fit the constraints. WBFF resized the same logo used for the ticker here for the area underneath WBFF's bug all centered on white. WBAL has a sponsored sky cam where the roll out what I would say is two triangles of their Diagrid to show a rescaled logo of their sponsor, like wise during traffic the logo appears on the banner with a white background once again resized and it's the same with the ticker.

KSHB's anchors sit down, as well as WCPO. But you're right about the swaying, it does seem like they have trouble standing still, but that's also probably human nature to sway some as you stand. However it's distracting if you notice it. Why the don't have chairs, I don't know. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a desk.

Speaking of desks though, a feature I've noticed with Park Place/Scripps is that the main anchor desks are small! I don't like how tiny WMAR's appears, and it's also an awkward shape. The one KSHB has is about half the size of their old one, and when they sit all 4 people down it just looks cramped. It'd be nice if they were bigger.

I think KSHB only has a sponsor for their weather ticker in the mornings. They don't use a ticker for any other newscast other than mornings. Their 7-day forecast is occasionally sponsored, but I think that's only when they get a sponsor for their 3-degree warranty.

WKBW doesn't do any of that, maybe the forecast "upper third", But never the ticker

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if WJZ is planning or in the works of getting a new set? It's pretty bad

and embarrassing a market size like Baltimore is still using a set from the 90s. Wonder why they kept it so long because it sorta aged after 3 years.

Does anyone know if WJZ is planning or in the works of getting a new set? It's pretty bad

and embarrassing a market size like Baltimore is still using a set from the 90s. Wonder why they kept it so long because it sorta aged after 3 years.

Nope. I haven't heard anything.

Archived