Telemundo Deportes rebrands as NBC Deportes

tw-804

Back in February, Telemundo's sister station mun2 (pronounced "MOON-dos") was rebranded as NBC Universo. Now it's Telemundo Deportes' turn.

From Media Moves: http://www.mediamoves.com/2015/05/telemundo-deportes-rebrands-as-nbc-deportes.html

NBCU’s Hispanic Enterprises and Content (HEC) and NBC Sports Group announced the creation of a new Hispanic sports production unit called NBC Deportes.

Eli Velazquez, who was promoted in January to EVP Sports, Hispanic Enterprises and Content, will lead NBC Deportes, which will leverage the resources of the NBC Sports Group.

The new unit will essentially take over the sports production role previously held by Telemundo Deportes. A company spokesperson insists NBC Deportes isn’t a rebranding, because the newly created unit will be responsible for generating content not just for Telemundo, but also for NBC Universo and all digital platforms.

While there is nothing certain, the spokesperson said “Deportes Telemundo” may continue to exist on the air of the Telemundo network.

The @TelemundoDeportes twitter handle, with its over 97,000 followers, has been taken over by @NBCDeportes.

In an email sent out on Tuesday afternoon, hours before Telemundo’s Upfront, HEC Chairman Joe Uva told staff:

“NBC Deportes will produce all of the sports events for all of our networks and digital channels, including all FIFA World Cup competitions, the Olympics, our CONCACAF World Cup and Olympic Qualifying tournaments, our Premier League matches, Liga MX games, the NFL, NASCAR and a line-up of action sports which will be added to the NBC UNIVERSO schedule over the next couple of years.”

NBC Deportes will capitalize on the parent company’s brand, logo and “incorporate the iconic Peacock.”

Thoughts?

I mentioned this a week ago in the shout box after their app was rebranded but there was no announcements at the time. I do wonder why they did not put NBC Deportes directly under the Sports Group since they are leveraging NBC Sports (also why didn't they put Noticiero Telemundo under NBCU News Group?).

I doubt this would be happening if it weren't for Telemundo's new rights to FIFA events.

I agree NBC must want people to know they have rights as well.

Could this also be a type of branding extension where they take a well known and successful (NBC likely will win the ratings this season) brand in hopes to draw a wider audience? When people think of NBC Sports they think of the Olympics, football, golf, EPL and NHL.

I believe this is a reinforcement of Comcast and NBCU's commitment to Telemundo. They would be incredibly stupid to even think of selling Telemundo given how well the network and their affiliates are doing.

Does this mean, it's getting closer to a name change at Telemundo? From Telemundo to a Spanish name with NBC on it ?

I was thinking that for a while too. I think this is a case of brand extension. I'm thinking of this as like how ABC's sports programming is called "ESPN on ABC". In this case it could be "NBC Deportes en Telemondo".

Archived