Live from a Rollercoaster

n925tv

Was watching KTLA this morning, Gayle Anderson was riding the new Colossus Roller Coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain, live. She had a walkie talkie strapped to her chest, I presume for IFB signal? How would the video signal go back to the truck?

Also to note, seems that Six Flags was holding a media day, since several reporters from different stations were riding the same ride throughout the morning. Would they use their own cameras, or rent their own cameras? Thanks!

I bet they used a Dejaro or a Live-U cellular backpack unit.

Every station in socal has a few of these now. They are pretty neat for when you want to walk along in a protest march....or offshore on a boat. Basicly it's multiple 4G phones bonding the signal into one feed.

The down side is the signal can go to 3G or worse if you cannot get all the phones a good strong 4G.

Not legal for use in aircraft.

The other option is microwave hops like the race cars use, but since thats not standard ENG van issued best bet is the backpack cellular.

Liability is a big factor also so whatever set-up is used must be solid.

And it's always better to let them destroy their own gear, as opposed to destroying TV station issued gear.

I hope they used a device like a Teradek for pure safety purposes. A Teradek unit is extremely compact and can take HDMI out from a GoPro with out any adapters. They could probably mount it easier than having to secure a backpack.

Archived