A Question About Lower Third Writing

ns8401

I was wondering if any of you guys have seen lower thirds with a top and bottom line that were written like these examples:

For story headlines and locations:

ROYAL OAK

MISSING WOMAN FOUND SAFE AT BEAUMONT HOSPITAL

COMMERCE TOWNSHIP

STORM DAMAGE

BRIGHTON

EVACUATIONS END AFTER GAS MAIN BREAK REPAIRS

For talent:

BRIGHTON

AARON BASKERVILLE

It seems to me that the story header normally goes on the top with the place name below it. The same with talent names. Maybe its to get you to read the entire L3? The sizes are about that different from the top to the bottom line which tells me that the Scripps L3 wasn't designed to be used this way.

What your describing would drive me crazy where you have to actually makes you work to read the headline. Most of the time I feel like the location isn't needed when a headline is on screen but if the reporter is talking they should have it below the name.

A pet peeve of mine is how when anchors names come on screen in the Tegna package their social media profile comes above their name. Another pet peeve related to Sky News recent relaunched where the persons profession goes above the persons name. An example would be:

TVNewsTalk Member

Rkolsen

I think it has something to do with this...

Viewers watching at home are going to see a video of fire trucks and a house on fire. Most people can probably, at that point, figure out what happened. There's no need to throw up a lower third that says

capture_20160105_190343.thumb.jpg.1eabd1e480416c6c3498f979dd90f5aa.jpg

because the viewer can already see there was a house fire. But doing it this way...

image.thumb.jpeg.886261d73425156d36846c041d7ea67e.jpeg

the first thing they read is where it happened, which is also the biggest text on the screen, so it can be seen easily from across the room or on a mobile device.

You mentioned Scripps, and a look at WXYZ's website seems to indicate they're following this style. Remember that they just started shuffling managers around and replacing news directors with "web people"... This is probably related to one or both of those. "Supporting platforms other than TV" and all.

tvntl32.thumb.jpg.16699d8f789f4cb279344705c2ed0177.jpg

tvntl31.thumb.jpg.2d915cc46f53f8b593e82ff4c0885692.jpg

I think it has something to do with this...

Viewers watching at home are going to see a video of fire trucks and a house on fire. Most people can probably, at that point, figure out what happened. There's no need to throw up a lower third that says

because the viewer can already see there was a house fire. But doing it this way...

the first thing they read is where it happened, which is also the biggest text on the screen, so it can be seen easily from across the room or on a mobile device.

You mentioned Scripps, and a look at WXYZ's website seems to indicate they're following this style. Remember that they just started shuffling managers around and replacing news directors with "web people"... This is probably related to one or both of those. "Supporting platforms other than TV" and all.

If I was betting I think it's the managers. It could also be that their ND or CSD wanted something cleaner than just the all white lower third with blue text for the headline only.

A lot of or all the other Scripps stations use something like:

MAN JUMPS OFF HOUSE

CELEBRATES AFTER SOFT LANDING

We never did that. It was always the big all white box... Not exactly very stylish.

I looked back a bit a couple weeks ago and found this:

That was 12 days before they got the first Scripps graphics package. So what they've done is reverted to something they started doing Sometime in 2009. Notice that when they talk to someone not from the station or they put an anchors name up the name suddenly reverts to the top line. That's true now too. This just changed maybe a month ago or so. Now my example and the example in the video match color wise more or less.

Prior to 2009 they used the ABC O&O style of top line for names and places bottom line for "Action News". They also didn't leave the lower thirds up for the entire story before 2009.

Archived