Lowest rated station= Clean up in awards?

brianpr3

How is it that some of lower rated stations clean up in awards etc like for example i notice with emmys in nyc WPIX seems to clean up in awards etc, also my local station wftx (fox) is award winner for Edward R, Murrow for best news cast?

Money. Local Emmy's are basically a pay for play thing so stations will just flood the ballots with entries (and the entry fee that goes with each submission) and they basically get mnominated by default. KYW plays a similar game down here.

...and just because a station wins a bunch of awards doesn't always translate to higher ratings and more revenue...especially if the #1 station in the market is and has been that way out of engrained habits for generations giving them little reason to step up their game...

Exactly. Here in Philly for example, WPVI has never participated in the local Emmys. Hasn't hurt them at all.

Something worth thinking about -- the station usually doesn't pay for EMMY submissions. They sometimes pay for the statue if you win.

Low-rated station? Talent probably wants to get out. Having an EMMY on the resume might help.

Awards for local news are kinda ridiculous.

The regional Emmys are essentially a pay to play system. You know if the stations weren't afraid of pissing off the regional Emmys it would make an interesting infesting still investigation. ( I felt like I had to keep that weird autocorrect.)

I think some station groups like Sinclair and NBC just play the numbers games where WRC has 31, WBFF 22, WJLA 20, Comcast SportsNet 9 and NewsChannel 8 has 7. With that many entries your bound to win a few.

I realize Murrow and Headliner awards require an entry fee but are they more prestigious/less of a scam?

Also keep in mind the stations submit their own entries in categories they wish to be nominated for and certain categories are only based on a single submission rather than a composite of their work. So a station like WFTX has a year to choose a diamond in the rough and their submission may very well have been the best entrant for their entire region.

Look at a station like WCVB, which regularly garners 50 or 60 nominations and wins 15 or 20 every year. The more you enter for, the more you're likely to get a nomination in something, and the more you're likely to win.

$60 for membership each year plus another $80 per entry, and more money if you add more than one name to the entry, it can add up in a hurry. I determined some time ago I could put the money to better use, because the station would never share the cost. We won't see our nominations until August, I think.

Your success can depend on who is your region too. KDVR, ranked last almost every newscast in Denver, has 46 nominations-- second among Denver stations. KUSA has an astonishing 94. The others have about 18 a piece. Denver shares a region with Oklahoma City. No OKC station has more than 12 nominations. KOCO, a Hearst station, has zero.

I realize Murrow and Headliner awards require an entry fee but are they more prestigious/less of a scam?

Well, tmj4.com has won the regional Murrow award for "best news website" for the past two years.

Everybody I talk to hates the Journal website format.

Make of that what you will.

Well, tmj4.com has won the regional Murrow award for "best news website" for the past two years.

With a Murrow Award, it's more about the coverage and content than the layout and CMS. That being said, well written stories and great coverage can be easily bungled by a horrible interface.

And if the stories themselves are being judged aside from the site and interface they come from, then there's the reason why a website in general can take home the prize.

So has WBAL and a few other Hearst stations. Most Hearst sites seem to have more content from CNN and other sites than local news.

Is it me, or does every Hearst station get the 'WeatheRate Most Accurate Forecast' seal?

Not here. WMAR had it for a few years but dropped the WeatheRate branding but still is ysing "Maryland's Most Accurate" branding. WeatheRate in Baltimore compares data from the stations who mainly forecast for the city of Baltimore to the NWS' official weather station for the region at BWI which is at least 10 miles from the city. WBAL will usually show the Baltimore numbers but will show an almanac mentioning the official highs/lows from BWI.

From what I've read WeatheRate tries selling the brand to other stations and who ever bites gets the most accurate. The company seems to just sells the brand name and does nothing else.

Archived