Gray TV Takes Aim At Hybrid News

LexTVandRadio

Gray is going to have to look at how WKBN does the "virtual" set correctly because if they look to Morris then it will backfire and look chintzy.

I'm hearing from other professionals who think the WKBN set is ugly!

I'm hearing from other professionals who think the WKBN set is ugly!

It is ugly.

Once again, nobody is looking at what they're doing overseas with virtual sets, and they're just trying really hard to make sets that look physical in software that can't achieve anything close to that. There are video game engines that do real-time effects better than Viz. Perhaps game studios could bring in some extra cash on the side building virtual set software that doesn't suck.

I've said before how much I like the

. It's more or less a virtual giant curved display screen. It's a very nice effect and it doesn't try to look real. If you have a system that could do anything, why would you limit yourself to making it look "real"???

I have yet to see a virtual set designed to look real that didn't look cheap and cheesy.

It is ugly.

Once again, nobody is looking at what they're doing overseas with virtual sets, and they're just trying really hard to make sets that look physical in software that can't achieve anything close to that. There are video game engines that do real-time effects better than Viz. Perhaps game studios could bring in some extra cash on the side building virtual set software that doesn't suck.

I've said before how much I like the

. It's more or less a virtual giant curved display screen. It's a very nice effect and it doesn't try to look real. If you have a system that could do anything, why would you limit yourself to making it look "real"???

I have yet to see a virtual set designed to look real that didn't look cheap and cheesy.

Exactly. It seems like over in Europe set designers know people know that their sets are fake.

If I had to guess I would say the Suze Orman Show set on CNBC was probably the best here in the US.

Where WKBN works is using the technology for the skyline image and putting the weather graphics right next to the stand-up weather center. I'm surprised that we haven't seen more use of virtual set technology for things like that instead of monitors or RPs.

Archived