Fair price for selling video

n925tv

If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move this post to the correct location.

I have some video clips of the rain storms that we are currently having here in San Diego. They all vary from a car being trapped in the raging water, to the rain causing crashes, and the rain in general. I've sold video before to KFMB and KGTV here in San Diego, on separate occasions. I got paid $25 from KGTV for a clip, and $50 from KFMB. What's a fair price to get to sell video to the news stations, here in San Diego, specifically? Is it possible to send the clips to multiple stations, and get multiple payments? Thanks!

Shameless plug for my weather video broker, Live Storms Media. If you ever get awesome weather-related video, take it to them.

As a storm chaser, I'm often in a great place to film and submit video.

and LSM was able to quickly sell it to The Weather Channel. Not sure what TWC paid for it before LSM got their part, but I got $150 for it.

For individual local stations, I'd say what they paid you is fair. Especially, as qunewsguy said, in a day and age when stations can take video off of their Facebook page for free. If it's really incredible video, you can often offer stations an exclusive, of course for a little more $$$.

If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move this post to the correct location.

I have some video clips of the rain storms that we are currently having here in San Diego. They all vary from a car being trapped in the raging water, to the rain causing crashes, and the rain in general. I've sold video before to KFMB and KGTV here in San Diego, on separate occasions. I got paid $25 from KGTV for a clip, and $50 from KFMB. What's a fair price to get to sell video to the news stations, here in San Diego, specifically? Is it possible to send the clips to multiple stations, and get multiple payments? Thanks!

San Diego stations pay $85 to $100 for good video hopefully with soundbites. Steady nice long shots that are editable. You can sell as many stations as you wish. There are about 5 people that regularly sell to all the San Diego stations. They shoot breaking news and sell it. Call directly to the Assignment Editor at KFMB 858-571-5155 and KGTV is 619-237-6380. be upfront and say it's for sell. be able to describe the video in detail and pitch why it's unusual and newsworthy. be polite and businesslike.

If you have something nobody else has then cool....just keep in mind that there are other people pitching the same storm stuff. Some people are just giving it for free. Call them and you never know just what the "flavor of the night" is. Be prepared to give it to them "on spec" meaning you send it in and IF they use it, you get paid. be sure to get the name of the person to invoice. You will be expected to file a W2 form with each station when you invoice them. Payment is in 30-60 days....except KNSD which takes forever..

You CAN make money off the video if it's decent and something they don't have. If they ask for exclusive rights then up the price just a tad to get your feet wet.

Good luck....you might get rejected but keep shooting and keep trying. You have NOTHING to lose.

LA pays $150-$200 and network pays up to $1000 per hit.

Indeed... unless it's something earth-shattering, in the days of "see it, share it" features in apps and videos posted online, who's paying for footage?

Plenty of stations pay for footage.

Plenty of people make a living doing so...

www.onscene.tv

www.sandiegonewsvideo.com

www.stringr.com

Thank you! We've called all of the SD stations, and so far they are looking at the video on YouTube, and deciding. KFMB and KSWB have decided to use the video. The lady at KFMB was very polite, and she explained how to talk to all of the stations, and even gave us their numbers. Never too early to start in the news field, hopefully this will look good on my resume when I'm applying for station photog jobs.

Thank you! We've called all of the SD stations, and so far they are looking at the video on YouTube, and deciding. KFMB and KSWB have decided to use the video. The lady at KFMB was very polite, and she explained how to talk to all of the stations, and even gave us their numbers. Never too early to start in the news field, hopefully this will look good on my resume when I'm applying for station photog jobs.

Bobbi at KFMB is a super woman. I consider her a very good friend for many years.

Then it's a quick message or comment saying "Can we use this on air?" Most people just want to see their name on TV and will happily ablige.

You are correct.

They have no clue how much money some video can command.

Just about every station in the country has a budget for "stringer video".

Just a small update: So far, nobody other than KSWB and KFMB have written and called back. The other stations said they will likely use it, and will contact us when they need our permission. I don't want to call them, don't want to sound pushy.

Just go with the flow....

You are doing everything correctly so far.

Remember there is only so much time in the show and alot happened today and yesterday. It's a full news day, and even if you just get one sale you will be doing just fine....and you want to build a reputation with the stations and not "over sell" or exaggerate like many people do.

Some stringers actually get offended and mouthy when stations reject stuff. Just keep being polite and it will work out for you. Bobbi knows her stuff and is a GREAT resource for you.

Just a small update: So far, nobody other than KSWB and KFMB have written and called back. The other stations said they will likely use it, and will contact us when they need our permission. I don't want to call them, don't want to sound pushy.

Another thing VERY IMPORTANT!!!

KNSD may ask you to sign a "stringer form". make sure you stipulate "local use only" because that generic form allows use to all Comcast/NBC/Uni properties for ever and ever....even movies. You may loose out on thousands of dollars for the right video.

LOCAL ONLY!

San Diego stations pay $85 to $100 for good video hopefully with soundbites. Steady nice long shots that are editable. You can sell as many stations as you wish. There are about 5 people that regularly sell to all the San Diego stations. They shoot breaking news and sell it. Call directly to the Assignment Editor at KFMB 858-571-5155 and KGTV is 619-237-6380. be upfront and say it's for sell. be able to describe the video in detail and pitch why it's unusual and newsworthy. be polite and businesslike.

If you have something nobody else has then cool....just keep in mind that there are other people pitching the same storm stuff. Some people are just giving it for free. Call them and you never know just what the "flavor of the night" is. Be prepared to give it to them "on spec" meaning you send it in and IF they use it, you get paid. be sure to get the name of the person to invoice. You will be expected to file a W2 form with each station when you invoice them. Payment is in 30-60 days....except KNSD which takes forever..

You CAN make money off the video if it's decent and something they don't have. If they ask for exclusive rights then up the price just a tad to get your feet wet.

Good luck....you might get rejected but keep shooting and keep trying. You have NOTHING to lose.

LA pays $150-$200 and network pays up to $1000 per hit.

Are things that bad at KNSD? Is it that expensive for them to pay out such a small amount? I remember recently a viewer commented on one of Dagmar's pictures and they said something along the lines of "wow you guys must have a lot of money" and she very bluntly said that No they did not.

Are things that bad at KNSD? Is it that expensive for them to pay out such a small amount? I remember recently a viewer commented on one of Dagmar's pictures and they said something along the lines of "wow you guys must have a lot of money" and she very bluntly said that No they did not.

39 has always been cheap. The problem is the invoices are not processed locally like at KUSI and KFMB. KGTV and KSWB also process invoices out of hubs.

$85 is the low end also. A few experienced stringers get over $100 per story locally but those people are former staffers or experienced news photogs, not the overnight car crash stringers.

• 2 years later...

How are you guys getting video up to the stations? Are you using your own file sharing service? And how are you tracking usage? Are you selling at a flat rate (per clip) or by the second? I've always had someone else take care of all that for me but I'm going solo now and I need some guidance. I'm in SoCal (IE) and the competition huge out here. Any advice appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
How are you guys getting video up to the stations? Are you using your own file sharing service? And how are you tracking usage? Are you selling at a flat rate (per clip) or by the second? I've always had someone else take care of all that for me but I'm going solo now and I need some guidance. I'm in SoCal (IE) and the competition huge out here. Any advice appreciated.

Hi, I have just started doing this stringer stuff recently as of February 2018. But I have experience of 3 years of speaking to major tv station's news desks on the phone and what not. I currently work as a Photojournalist in a Weather Watcher Network at CBS3 KYW-TV PHILADELPHIA. I do not get paid for sending in just my regualr weather events photo(s), and or video(s) but when I do get that B-Roll (ENG) I then contact the on duty meteroligst and set something up, sometimes I give it for free for just knowing that I have a guaranteed chance that it is going to be in the station rundown and be a hit, but sometimes I just get a very small compisation for it, like swag and promo stuff that I wear in public to draw in more viewers.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that if you want to sell weather-related packages you should email message [email protected] Brett Adair is the Owner/Operator of Live Storms Media, he is just so awesome and professional. I have spoken to Brett himself on the phone about 3 times and emailed himself multiple times. He was able to answer my questions about becoming a stringer for him. Look at the social media accounts they have and look at there stringers video(s) as they are just so professional. Brett has so many clients in the major news industry. Including The Weather Channel. I have already gotten 2 hits on a couple packages I have already done for Winter Storm Quinn. Wow just wow.

I myself when uploading content for entire station, Brett at LSM or for CBS3 KYW-TV PHILADELPHIA, the stations usually have a Web-Based FTP Client that they have all set up. It's so easy to share content like that to everyone in the newsroom.

When I work with LSM I uploaded my content, then Brett will be the moderator and review your package and see what you've got, then if he approves it he then posts the content for you everywhere for everyone to see and preview but keep in mind that since it is a preview the video is processed at a lower quality but he keeps the original file in the FTP for that high-quality package when someone buys it. When someone buys it you will be notified by email message and if it is your first sale Brett will contact you and provide you with some paperwork to do. Please also keep in mind that it does, in fact, take up to 60 days after the sale date on the invoice for the client to pay Brett then Brett pays you.

I myself do not whatsoever sell by the second. I personal not only with Brett but with CBS3 KYW-TV PHILADELPHIA sell by a case-by-case basis flat rate (per clip) that both I and the assignment manager come to an agreement on for an appropriate price for the content that I produced. Brett in any hand does it by a solid flat rate (per clip) of $150.00 USD, at least that is the amount I get paid and I do not know what he sells it for. Obviously, income has to come in so invoice for the client will most probably be $150.00 USD or higher for those extra exclusive packages.

When you work with local stations I recommend that they give you a stringer contract to sign off on, MAKE SURE to read the whole contract and not skim through it as it may have that any packages video(s) and or photo(s) that you sell to them can be used for national media. You absolutely DO NOT want that, you want LOCAL MEDIA that station only that you're selling the content too for broadcasting your package. For example, if you got locked in a contract and it had "we the station own the rights to as well with our O&O markets" that means that you can have an exclusive package put on the national news which means money is flying out the window. You could have gained more profit if you sold it directly to the national news as an exclusive package.

When it comes to taking care of stuff and paperwork it should be real easy just MAKE SURE to keep invoices on everything and I mean everything that you sell to stations. Invoices should include the station name, station contact information, station tax identification number-(USA ONLY), time and date stamp of sale, the description of what was sold, and also the assignment managers signature on it or some official at the station signature on it.

Hope this gets you started off and wanted to let you know that if you're in the LA market you might wanna contact RMG News, email message: [email protected] if you do choose to contact them about being a contributor for them I would recommend that you speak to Howard.

Cheers! P.S. any more questions please feel free to hit that reply button.

Not to kill your buzz, but many of the Cali stations use freelancers and have very few to no (in the case of KABC and possibly others) staff photographers.

Not to kill your buzz, but many of the Cali stations use freelancers and have very few to no (in the case of KABC and possibly others) staff photographers.

Yep... moved on in life lol. Talk about a Throwback Thursday for sure!

Hi, I have just started doing this stringer stuff recently as of February 2018. But I have experience of 3 years of speaking to major tv station's news desks on the phone and what not. I currently work as a Photojournalist in a Weather Watcher Network at CBS3 KYW-TV PHILADELPHIA. I do not get paid for sending in just my regualr weather events photo(s), and or video(s) but when I do get that B-Roll (ENG) I then contact the on duty meteroligst and set something up, sometimes I give it for free for just knowing that I have a guaranteed chance that it is going to be in the station rundown and be a hit, but sometimes I just get a very small compisation for it, like swag and promo stuff that I wear in public to draw in more viewers.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that if you want to sell weather-related packages you should email message [email protected] Brett Adair is the Owner/Operator of Live Storms Media, he is just so awesome and professional. I have spoken to Brett himself on the phone about 3 times and emailed himself multiple times. He was able to answer my questions about becoming a stringer for him. Look at the social media accounts they have and look at there stringers video(s) as they are just so professional. Brett has so many clients in the major news industry. Including The Weather Channel. I have already gotten 2 hits on a couple packages I have already done for Winter Storm Quinn. Wow just wow.

I myself when uploading content for entire station, Brett at LSM or for CBS3 KYW-TV PHILADELPHIA, the stations usually have a Web-Based FTP Client that they have all set up. It's so easy to share content like that to everyone in the newsroom.

When I work with LSM I uploaded my content, then Brett will be the moderator and review your package and see what you've got, then if he approves it he then posts the content for you everywhere for everyone to see and preview but keep in mind that since it is a preview the video is processed at a lower quality but he keeps the original file in the FTP for that high-quality package when someone buys it. When someone buys it you will be notified by email message and if it is your first sale Brett will contact you and provide you with some paperwork to do. Please also keep in mind that it does, in fact, take up to 60 days after the sale date on the invoice for the client to pay Brett then Brett pays you.

I myself do not whatsoever sell by the second. I personal not only with Brett but with CBS3 KYW-TV PHILADELPHIA sell by a case-by-case basis flat rate (per clip) that both I and the assignment manager come to an agreement on for an appropriate price for the content that I produced. Brett in any hand does it by a solid flat rate (per clip) of $150.00 USD, at least that is the amount I get paid and I do not know what he sells it for. Obviously, income has to come in so invoice for the client will most probably be $150.00 USD or higher for those extra exclusive packages.

When you work with local stations I recommend that they give you a stringer contract to sign off on, MAKE SURE to read the whole contract and not skim through it as it may have that any packages video(s) and or photo(s) that you sell to them can be used for national media. You absolutely DO NOT want that, you want LOCAL MEDIA that station only that you're selling the content too for broadcasting your package. For example, if you got locked in a contract and it had "we the station own the rights to as well with our O&O markets" that means that you can have an exclusive package put on the national news which means money is flying out the window. You could have gained more profit if you sold it directly to the national news as an exclusive package.

When it comes to taking care of stuff and paperwork it should be real easy just MAKE SURE to keep invoices on everything and I mean everything that you sell to stations. Invoices should include the station name, station contact information, station tax identification number-(USA ONLY), time and date stamp of sale, the description of what was sold, and also the assignment managers signature on it or some official at the station signature on it.

Hope this gets you started off and wanted to let you know that if you're in the LA market you might wanna contact RMG News, email message: [email protected] if you do choose to contact them about being a contributor for them I would recommend that you speak to Howard.

Cheers! P.S. any more questions please feel free to hit that reply button.

Well, I already know Brett personally. He used to be a stringer with Severe Studios before he went independent and created LSM. I'm currently still with Severe Studios at the national level. I'm simply trying selling independently to the local L.A. and S.D. stations which my contract allows (embargoed). Right now I have no intention of creating any conflicts of interests by working with any other agencies until I decide to cancel my contract. What you are doing with your local CBS affilliate is pretty much exactly what I want to do with my local L.A. area stations. I do appreciate your info very very much. It does help me a lot and gives me some guidance. Thank you!

Archived