Local Scenic Shops / Prop Departments - Still in use?

rkolsen

I posted this in the ShoutBox (the prior forums I frequented called it thatand old habits die hard) No Emotion Box but thought maybe I'd bring it up for discussion.

I was stumbling across KARE's Blake McKoys's Instagram feed and came across this image of what I'd call KARE's Scenic Shop. There you can see their old WUSA logo before the call sign was transfered to then WDVM.

https://twitter.com/blakekare11/status/621033119437725696

I'm curious how many stations still have shops like these and are there people there that can work the equipment?

Can I take that NBC logo? Haha JK. Kinda rare to see that from local TV stations now, but I think WSVN has one as well, because the image they have of Craig and Belkys for 7 News is usually taken down for Phil Ferro and "The Storm Station" during hurricane season and then taken down afterwards for the Craig/Belkys pic again.

Most stations have some sort of "workshop" area, if only for maintenance. There was a time where stations employed carpenters to build sets, but those days ended decades ago (unless you're in a network facility like 30 Rock or possibly a station that does a lot of commercial production work like KTVU). Nowadays, set construction will either get handled by an outside firm or miscellaneous station personnel like Production Assistants, Engineers, or Creative Services staff.

Archived