Changes come to Erie TV news lineups

mvcg66b3r

Changes are coming soon to the lineups of WICU-TV and WSEE-TV.

Erie's NBC and CBS affiliates, both owned by Lilly Broadcasting, will no longer broadcast separate newscasts on weekday mornings and evenings.

The move, which will begin Oct. 12, means WICU and WSEE will air an identical newscast at 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. They'll do the same for their weekday 11 p.m. newscasts.

WSEE and WICU also will merge their morning weekday newscasts into one program, with one set of anchors.

http://www.goerie.com/changes-come-to-erie-tv-news-lineups

It they can merge the newscasts, they might as well merge the stations. Let's see if Lilly can pull off what other broadcasters have done/are doing in smaller markets:

WICU: 12.1 NBC (1080i HD), 12.2 CBS (720p HD)

WSEE: 35.1 CW (1080i HD), possible call sign change to WBEP

--OR--

WSEE: 35.1 CBS (1080i HD), 35.2 NBC (720p HD)

WICU: 12.1 CW (1080i HD), possible call sign change to WBEP

It they can merge the newscasts, they might as well merge the stations. Let's see if Lilly can pull off what other broadcasters have done/are doing in smaller markets:

--OR--

The first one is more possible because WICU 12 is the strongest station out of the two, but trails in the ratings to WJET-24.

--OR--

Are the transmitters located far enough they could piggyback each other as satellites? For example WICU has 12.1 NBC, 12.2 CBS and 12.3 CW, and WSEE has 35.1 CBS, 35.2 NBC and 35.3 CW?

Are the transmitters located far enough they could piggyback each other as satellites? For example WICU has 12.1 NBC, 12.2 CBS and 12.3 CW, and WSEE has 35.1 CBS, 35.2 NBC and 35.3 CW?

They are located at the same site. wSEE is a UHF station with a higher power.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived