THREE 1080i HD subchannels on KTUZ!?!?!?

mvcg66b3r

I know KBMT Beaumont TX has three 720p subchannels, and some other stations have two 1080i subchannels, but this?

359005661_KTUZ-TV(SHAWNEEOK)1.png.1d2eaa831dbd03645a4e17fb505b8e00.png

362127168_KTUZ-TV(SHAWNEEOK)2.png.41cc57ce919a971b77d2099f6fb23ba0.png

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=77480#station

Is it a typo, or has technology evolved this far? Could Tyler Media have even afforded advanced HD equipment?

At first looking at the VC numbers I thought it was one of those things like KSTP/KSTC deals. But I could feasibly see it being done assuming they are using the latest encoders. As far as I know Telemundo and Univision so not have any average bit rate requirements (but probably minimums) so I could see this working out.

At first looking at the VC numbers I thought it was one of those things like KSTP/KSTC deals. But I could feasibly see it being done assuming they are using the latest encoders. As far as I know Telemundo and Univision so not have any average bit rate requirements (but probably minimums) so I could see this working out.

There are good MPEG-2 encoders out there that are really efficient.

Univision uses some very tight encoders too; some of their stations run 2 HD + 2 SD.

Plus stat muxing is impressive these days. The only time I would worry is when both Telemundo and Univision air football at the same time. I guess one of the benefits of football (soccer) is that there's not as much motion on screen at once compared to an NFL game.

Guest Former Member 207
There are good MPEG-2 encoders out there that are really efficient.

Univision uses some very tight encoders too; some of their stations run 2 HD + 2 SD.

Yeah...KMEX here in Los Angeles has two HD streams (Univision and a simulcast of sister UniMas' KFTR) and Bounce on SD. Of course, there's talk that Bounce may start broadcasting in HD soon. KFTR has one HD stream, and three SD streams--GetTV, Grit, Escape.

The dual 1080i + 480i Univision affiliates appear to average 6-7Mbps on both 1080 streams. I could see them getting a good picture with 6.5-7Mbps for Telemundo and Univisiom with Estrella (don't know what they air) picking up the rest.

I know KBMT Beaumont TX has three 720p subchannels, and some other stations have two 1080i subchannels, but this?

[ATTACH=full]2428[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]2429[/ATTACH]

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=77480#station

Is it a typo, or has technology evolved this far? Could Tyler Media have even afforded advanced HD equipment?

You'd think that Tyler Media would convert KTUZ to HD but I highly doubt it'll happen in the near future though.

Archived