Will Columbus EVER get a full-power Telemundo station?

ColDayNews

Could Columbus ever get a full-power Telemundo station? Currently, Telemundo is on a subchannel (17.2) and on WOW! cable channel 803. Newscasts and local programming would be produced by WCMH-TV using its' resources. WCMH's severe weather coverage would also be simulcast on Telemundo, as it is on 97.9 WNCI. Telemundo would participate in WCMH's public service programs: (Firefighters 4 Kids, Prevent Teen Drug Abuse) and provide the Spanish language coverage of the Red, White and Boom! fireworks broadcast.

The Telemundo station would be owned and operated by NBCUniversal. Hopefully, NBCUniversal could repurchase WCMH. ;)

Thoughts?

Could Columbus ever get a full-power Telemundo station? Currently, Telemundo is on a subchannel (17.2) and on WOW! cable channel 803. Newscasts and local programming would be produced by WCMH-TV using its' resources. WCMH's severe weather coverage would also be simulcast on Telemundo, as it is on 97.9 WNCI. Telemundo would participate in WCMH's public service programs: (Firefighters 4 Kids, Prevent Teen Drug Abuse) and provide the Spanish language coverage of the Red, White and Boom! fireworks broadcast.

The Telemundo station would be owned and operated by NBCUniversal. Hopefully, NBCUniversal could repurchase WCMH. ;)

Thoughts?

Actually, its on WDEM 17.1

But in reality, who cares? There's probably a barely 0% Hispanic population in Central Ohio. I'm even surprised that Columbus has a MundoMax on WCSN 32 and a Mexicanal on WCPX 48.

All three are low-power stations so in reality, who cares? Nobody. Thank you, NBC 4, ABC 6, 10TV and FOX 28. You guys already have my fix in Columbus.

There is a really low Hispanic Population in Columbus to get a full time Telemundo affiliate much less one owned by NBCUniversal. Indianapolis has a better chance of that scenario happening to be honest and that's not even being talked about.

It just doesn't make sense for all that to happen.

Yeah, if there is no need for O&O, don't ever make it. I'm still wondering why KUTH and WQHS is still Univision O&O.

Short answer: Spectrum bait.

Long answer: WQHS is, for all intents and purposes, a pass-through for Univision programming. It was part of a package deal when Barry Diller finally bowed out of broadcasting for good. Cleveland itself does not have a significant Spanish-language population, although suburbs to the west (Lorain) and east (Painseville) do.

Even if Univision wanted to sell WQHS, I'm not sure who would want to buy it. Establishing another English language independent would be a risky proposition, as not enough programming would be available to make it profitable. (Moreover, WQHS hasn't been in that format since 1986, as WOIO's sign-on drove them to run HSN.) Therefore, Univision is best off just biding their time until the spectrum auction takes place... if there are two stations in NEO that are truly expendable, it's WQHS and WVPX.

All that being said, the national Telemundo feed is on cable throughout Northern Ohio. There isn't enough demand to put it on OTA. Columbus is in the same boat.

I going to blunt here, No.

Yes, Columbus is the 31st largest market but on the Spanish Side of DMA we are more on the size of Toledo at 76. Cleveland where Univison has a O&O is just outside of the top 50 at 54 higher then Indy at 56.

Financially it makes more sense to put more money behind English language promotion then in Spanish language promotions here in Columbus. Now back in the day Columbus was a sub 100 Latino DMA so there room for growth but we are talking about 5 years from now before that is even a thought. Point blank there is no good reason to do it in Columbus being a low rated market on Latino DMA side.

I going to blunt here, No.

Yes, Columbus is the 31st largest market but on the Spanish Side of DMA we are more on the size of Toledo at 76. Cleveland where Univison has a O&O is just outside of the top 50 at 54 higher then Indy at 56.

Financially it makes more sense to put more money behind English language promotion then in Spanish language promotions here in Columbus. Now back in the day Columbus was a sub 100 Latino DMA so there room for growth but we are talking about 5 years from now before that is even a thought. Point blank there is no good reason to do it in Columbus being a low rated market on Latino DMA side.

When Festival Latino comes around in the summertime that would be a great vehicle for the the station, and the Latino population is growing in the city, wouldn't you agree?

Regardless of whether it has the population...does it even matter at the end of the day if the station is full-power? It's on cable and probably covers the city of Columbus (which has a ~6% Hispanic population) itself just fine. Other areas of the market likely have a scattered, minuscule Hispanic audience.

Columbus, OH is DMA #76 in Spanish/Latinos with 23,070 Hispanic TV Homes. Compare that to my home market as DMA #3 in Spanish/Latinos with 770,180 Hispanic TV Homes. (W'ere only behind NY - #2 and LA - #1)

Compare Columbus, OH to Miami and you'll see why Columbus won't get a full-power Telemundo station.

When Festival Latino comes around in the summertime that would be a great vehicle for the the station, and the Latino population is growing in the city, wouldn't you agree?

It would but you are marking to (as many have pointed out including myself) a TV market the size of Toledo, Ohio when comes down to Latino Television. That is roughly speaking about a 45 spot drop in the Latino market DMA as a whole in Columbus. Not as bad as Cincinnati at 97 (-65 Difference) but not as good as Cleveland at 53 (-35 Difference).

Miami as WSVNFan pointed out has +13 difference in this rough comparison tool I made up where it makes more sense to go Spanish then English in Miami as you'll have a larger audience watching in Spanish.

Archived