KGW building new set

PTVNews

KGW is getting a new set! They haven't had a completely new set since at least the early 2000s. The one they have right now in their main studio was a refresh of their old set when they went HD in 2008.

Here are some tweets showing their current set and their temporary newsroom setup.

[MEDIA=twitter]681456671986696192[/MEDIA]

Looks like the temporary set is just for the morning show while the other shows use the KGW Studio on the Square downtown. They used the Square studio today for all their evening shows in addition to its regular use at 4 and 7pm . I'm guessing KGW's 3-anchor morning team plus weather and traffic wouldn't fit there, so that's why they have the temp set.

[MEDIA=twitter]681547840024260608[/MEDIA]

Does their morning show not typically use the Studio on the Square? I thought it did when it first launched but I could be wrong. What shows originate from the main studio and which have been using the Square??

Sunrise/Noon/5/6/11 all originate from their main studios at 15th and Jefferson. The 4pm and 7pm shows originate from the Studio on the Square, which is located across the street from the Pioneer Place Mall in Downtown Portland.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few screen grabs from the Launch and their first morning show. This is a Refresh of an existing set which I think was originally designed by PDG. We (FX Design Group) added a new 3 x 6 x 46" video array wall behind their Anchor Desk (which is original, we added a mobile platform to allow them to move it to various locations in the studio), a 1 x 3 x 70" Vertical array primarily for Background scenics, basically a moving duratrans and a 3 x 3 x 46" video array CR of Anchor to be used primarily for Weather and Traffic, which was repurposed from their Newsroom. CL of Anchor we left in their 2nd 3 x 3 x 46" that was installed last year and far CL of Anchor we replaced the glass block with a new Duratrans and Monitor on Cart for additional Story Telling. The lighting was done in house based on a plot we provided them. In addition to the new scenic elements we repainted and relaminated the pieces that were kept, their Goal was to give them a Contemporary Look that would allow them to increase the Pace of the News with Multiple Story Telling Venues.

If you have any questions would be happy to answer them.

Mack

Here's a link to a fun Video clip they posted of the Height Issues we sometimes face when Anchors aren't close in height. http://bit.ly/1Q7p44Z

And more Screen Grabs on our FB Page http://on.fb.me/1T76EQR

2016-02-09_1357.thumb.png.7fa3e6d912ed62deeff18925bba18076.png

2016-02-09_1347.thumb.png.d43b121441ce544e84a8906a7a9ab281.png

2016-02-09_1349.thumb.png.830feb35aa6da6ea8615fad8ee05b6d0.png

2016-02-09_1351.thumb.png.8cd71ade077b2bbe839c9d477d348c3f.png

2016-02-09_1354.thumb.png.803e0d6366948b819bd48f790aba3c63.png

Never understood the whole refreshing the same set after 20 years in use, it's not like the station doesn't have enough money to start from the ground up.

You've got to remember that custom sets aren't cheap, especially from big brand names like FX and Devlin. The materials and labor alone must be a lot of money. A refresh can work well for a lighter budget.

I'll try to post some video soon but I found this to be disappointing. Maybe because they ran ads touting a "new" set and this one is just another refresh. I think it looks fairly nice except for the material surrounding the 3 x 6 x 46" video array. Also not a fan of these monitor walls that have dividing lines visible. A good example of what looks nice is Jimmy Kimmel's backdrop. It's digital, crisp, without lines.

The on-air execution for this set at KGW has not been great. Several anchors have significant height differences. They also seem to stand in random areas sometimes. Interesting that they kept the desk. I haven't seen them use it yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved back to it pretty soon.

It looks nice as far as refreshes go. It looks like the monitor walls haven't been properly calibrated yet.

I agree about the standing though. I thought the whole "let's stand for the *entire* show" format went out of style about five years ago. It doesn't seem to really fit in well with KGW's talent and style anyway.

Never understood the whole refreshing the same set after 20 years in use, it's not like the station doesn't have enough money to start from the ground up.

I believe the technical term is commonly referred to as "lipstick on a pig".

It smacks more of an self-serving advertisement than anything truly objective.

It's still neat to have them on here and offering to answer some of our questions. So often have some of us wanted to know what the designers were doing or were thinking, and we've been provided that opportunity.

Would love to hear from FX what the limitations are that force them into using the video backdrops with the dividing lines, versus that gorgeous seamless walls you see on Kimmel, or on the recent KABC update. How much of a cost difference is it?

At least they didn't get a copy of the KARE disaster from Gannett.

Would love to hear from FX what the limitations are that force them into using the video backdrops with the dividing lines, versus that gorgeous seamless walls you see on Kimmel, or on the recent KABC update. How much of a cost difference is it?

At least they didn't get a copy of the KARE disaster from Gannett.

I think stations tend to go with video walls either of the monitor type or LED type can be attributed to the lack of maintenance required and that monitor walls don't dim as much as a rear projector does. A wall that's used on Jimmy Kimmel would likely require recalibration of all the projectors when one of the projectors bulbs die out (or are close to dying).

Another issue with rear projection is that the images tend to dim out after some use even when bulbs have been replaced. You can look at the screens behind WESH and WDSU where the background it incredibly dark compared to the rest of the set. The same thing happened here at WBFF where it's big screens became washed out. I don't know what FX did differently from the Hearst set design at WBAL because their home base projector is as bright as its been since it launched.

One thing that bugs me about the monitor type video wall is when there's a large mullion between the panels and the images on the screen appear to pick up where the other monitor left off.

There are several reasons that Stations are choosing the Video Arrays over Rear Projection or LED Seamless.

As many have already guessed Price is #1, the 46" zero bezel monitors are nearing the 2k per unit price now.

Hard to cover every option available, below are a few Pros and Cons for each based on the look and size of the 3 x 6 x 46" monitor array at KGW which is about 6' high x 20' wide.

The prices I mention do not include any outboard processing equipment which can add another $20,000.00 - $80,000.00 depending on what and how you want to feed your wall.

NEC 46" LED array

Pros:

Cost for 18 - 46" monitors is roughly 40,000.00

Very Bright with good contrast works well under studio lighting, we typically need to dim them to balance with set lighting

Easy to curve (faceted)

Thin, don’t take up much depth in the set

LED based should last for 40,000 hours or more

Cons:

Bezels (now less than 1/4")

May have matching issues in future if Monitors die, we recommend a few spares if possible

Rear Projection

To create same size screen using a single Christie HD 10k Lumen projector and screen the price is comparable $40,000.00

Pros:

Seamless

Single Projector price is comparable to NEC array

Cons:

Throw distance eats up too much studio space a single projector would require 16' of throw with a .8 lens to give you a 20' wide image

If you don't have 16' then you would need to add a projector which now increases your cost and maintenance issues, 2 Projectors edge blended would require 8' of throw with a .8 lens

You can also do a mirror bounce to get tighter but as you add more gear and expense, the complexity and maintenance issues go up exponentially.

Maintenance, and additional expense, lamp life is 1,500 – 2,000 hours, so replacing lamps about 2 - 3 times per year.

RP Screens are easily affected by Studio Lighting

Not as crisp as Monitors or LED’s

LED

Typically Double the cost, the same size array in 3.9 MM Pixel Pitch would be in the $70,000.00 - 80,000.00 range.

Pros:

Seamless

Thin, don’t take up any depth in the set, can be serviced from the front

Very bright, no issues with Studio Lighting

Rated for 50,000 hours

Cons:

For close up camera work we would not recommend any screen with more than 3.6 MM Pixel Pitch and would prefer sub 3 MM, due to Moiré.

Expense will be double or more, to go to 2.6 MM Pixel Pitch, preferred for close up shots would increase cost to nearly 200,000.00

May have matching issues in future if Pixels die, we recommend purchasing spare modules

We do feel that LED’s are the way to go if budget permits and include pricing for them in most of our Designs, but they are still cost prohibitive to all but the top Markets for now.

LED prices will continue to drop, as you've noticed some Network and Cable stations have installed them and now also a few top 10 markets.

It will still be a few to several years before Stations outside the top 10 can afford them.

Hope this helps,

Mack

Archived