WTKR new set

newsie

For the past few weeks they've been using a chroma wall in a secondary studio for weather while the old weather set has been taken down. I've been hearing rumblings that an entire new set and branding is in the works

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the past few weeks they've been using a chroma wall in a secondary studio for weather while the old weather set has been taken down. I've been hearing rumblings that an entire new set and branding is in the works

I bet they will go to "CBS 3 News" and use the WTTV / WTVR graphics. Which is a vast improvement from the Tron-like graphics that they have now.

I predicted this in the 2016 Media Predictions thread back in late December. I said they're getting a new set sometime this year, but didn't mention branding. Here's what I said in case you missed it...

Norfolk's WTKR/WGNT will pull a WOIO and get a new music and graphics package and will tone the Taking Action, Getting Results thing down. Maybe they'll get a variation of the graphics used by sister stations KSWB, WGNO, KFSM and others. Can't picture the WTTV/WTVR graphics (aka "Tribune CBS") and 615 Music's Moving Forward on there. Oh, and a new set, too.

I am hoping for a return to the "News 3" branding and ditching the robot arm that I have emailed WTKR to get rid of for years! I hope the anchors will sit down on the new set all the time. I get tired of seeing them in front of a green screen. That Tron-looking 3D mess they stand in front of now has to go!

This background has made its way into some of the fullscreens. I assume it's a work in progresspromo283523184.jpg?w=370&h=204&crop=1

I guess this is... the... morning version???

[MEDIA=twitter]715109005815898112[/MEDIA]

I guess they thought some WJZ-esque colors would spice up things.

Surprised they didn't launch everything all at once, as opposed to a slow, transitional rollout. Once all of the new stuff premieres, I really hope the awful (tron, robot'ish) claws retract themselves back into the claw grab prize machine where they belong!

Yeah, it's about time they got rid of the Tron look (read: 6 years overdue). While they're at it they could also stand to tone down the happy talk...it's rather glaring at times, and it shows in the ratings.

As for branding...CBS 3 News is, and has been, my personal prediction if they change it.

Yeah, it's about time they got rid of the Tron look (read: 6 years overdue). While they're at it they could also stand to tone down the happy talk...it's rather glaring at times, and it shows in the ratings.

As for branding...CBS 3 News is, and has been, my personal prediction if they change it.

So here my question why should & would their branding be CBS 3? So many markets have that; add the network affiliation with the channel number along with news? There no creativity with that generic branding and every market should somewhat distinguish themselves... Would like to hear your take, and happy to hear WTKR getting a new look.

Personally I like the crazy 3 logo that they have been using and maybe they need to keep it Newschannel 3. Maybe tone down the Taking Action Getting Results but I will say this. Although the look is not liked on here, it takes some massive coconuts to pull off that look for a news station. Don't make it bland and boring...have some individuality please.

One thing I will say is that the robot-arm graphics are distinctive, if not well-liked by most people. I'm with bhratbrat in keeping the NewsChannel 3 branding but unlike him, I want them to take action and get results. With Nexstar coming to the Hampton Roads and Tegna being Tegna, WTKR has a chance to bounce back and be top dog.

So here my question why should & would their branding be CBS 3? So many markets have that; add the network affiliation with the channel number along with news? There no creativity with that generic branding and every market should somewhat distinguish themselves... Would like to hear your take, and happy to hear WTKR getting a new look.

Ironically, it would actually manage to be unique here. We've never had any of the Big Three stations identify their news with network/channel (though WVEC does call themselves ABC 13 outside of news now), so emphasizing the network like that is actually going to make them a little different from the rest. There may not be creativity, but sometimes the existing formula is all you need.

One thing I will say is that the robot-arm graphics are distinctive, if not well-liked by most people. I'm with bhratbrat in keeping the NewsChannel 3 branding but unlike him, I want them to take action and get results. With Nexstar coming to the Hampton Roads and Tegna being Tegna, WTKR has a chance to bounce back and be top dog.

The big thing I don't like about WTKR's philosophy is that I feel like they're trying too hard as it is. If it's not an overabundance of happy talk or gratuitous robot invasions, it's constantly in your face that they're taking action and getting results. Heck, they've even tailored their scripts at times to use something along the lines of "so-and-so is taking action", just to emphasize it even more. It may be a brand identity, but it really grates on one's nerves after a while.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=full]2901[/ATTACH] A preview of WTKR's new logo, courtesy my former TA at Mississippi State

Looks a lot better! Can't wait to see the new graphics and set when they debut. Seems to be taking a longer-than-usual time.

Archived