XETV- CW6 Pay 4 News Play???

Eat News

No wonder they don't have a News Director anymore....

No sane News Director would ever allow 5 minutes of liveshot to shill a used car sale.

The GM or GSM must be running the newsroom.

What makes the whole thing worse is that it aired durning the normal morning newscast and NOT the "pay 4 play" San Diego living infomercialcast.

Props to XETV for making all their tubbo reporters do workout liveshots at various gyms. But if I have to see Renee Kohn in yoga pants one more time I'm gonna puke.

Not surprised because KUSI does that all the time weekends only.

For The Used Car Tent Sale. Yes, but at least KUSI does it during the commercial breaks, and completely removes any association with the news division.

XETV didn't even bother to separate themselves from this blatant pay for play. Hell, they even had Jenny Day tweeting about it.

Seriously????

WTF!

She even got the .75 APR in?

That is worse than I thought.

You are right....the "Used car tent Sale" is way different based on the obvious "separation" during the break.

I thought KGTV was pushing the 'P4P' with it's obvious "Angies List" shilling but Jenny Day should RESIGN and XETV should issue a retraction...and the FCC should take action!!!

Oh wait!

XETV is in Mexico...and the FCC cannot do squat except (maybe) yank that 325 waiver they have....

and that will never happen.

BTW...

Beat her for that ugly hat!

(disclaimer) I am a member of SDCCU....and may check out those killer deals this weekend.

I have a quick question when it comes for pay to play. When a station invites/asks a company over to give advice or do a cooking segment that does not appear to shill a product is that still pay to play?

I see this during the weekend shows and the end credits make no mention about product placement or promotional consideration.

They don't, but the way that they can look at it is that if the station invites a restraunt to cook for them during the show, the company isnt paying the station for advertising their product. So its really free advertisement and whoever is there on the weekend gets the benefit of free food (probably for the staff that is there on weekends).

I know WPLG also has a real estate segment with a specific realtor, but again the station isnt paying because its via invitation and the way the station would look at it is more like quid pro quo where they need time to fill and for the company its free advertisement

I have a quick question when it comes for pay to play. When a station invites/asks a company over to give advice or do a cooking segment that does not appear to shill a product is that still pay to play?

I see this during the weekend shows and the end credits make no mention about product placement or promotional consideration.

If you invite them in like you said...no money or "trade" exchange happens then it's all cool....I* help you...you help me.

But

There are payola rules...

The Communications Act and the FCC’s rules require that:

• When a broadcast licensee has received or been promised payment for the airing of program material, then, at the time of the airing, the station must disclose that fact and identify who paid for or promised to pay for the material. All sponsored material must be explicitly identified at the time of broadcast as paid for and by whom, except when it is clear that the mention of a product or service constitutes sponsorship identification;
  • Any broadcast station employee who has accepted or agreed to accept payment for the airing of program material, and the person making or promising to make the payment, must disclose this information to the station prior to the airing of the program;
  • Any person involved in the supply, production or preparation of a program who receives or agrees to receive, or makes or promises to make payment for the airing of program material, or knows of such arrangements, must disclose this information prior to the airing of the program. Broadcast licensees must make reasonable efforts to obtain from their employees and others they deal with for program material the information necessary to make the required sponsorship identification announcements;
  • The information must be provided up the chain of production and distribution before the time of broadcast, so the station can air the required disclosure; and
  • These rules apply to all kinds of program material aired over broadcast radio and television stations. Some of the rules also may apply to cablecasts.

Product placement has never really been addressed in the legal sense.

Where you run into problems also is on the journalistic ethical side. The ethics of all this are left up to the individual statiions policy's and rules that they MAY or may not follow or subscribe to.

We all know how stations have tossed out ethics recently by "failure to disclose"...not a legal or regulatory issue...just an ethical one for the most part...and very annoying too.

Just like the Scripps /Angies list shilling....NO disclosure. Or the recent XETV Used car / credit union shilling.

Of course i'm most likely missing something, and this is not all inclusive.

Now when we get into political issues like advertising, rates and other elex stuff it's a whole different complete beast.

No have I completly confused you????

Because it confuses me.

These rules are violated every single day in TV.

Archived