GMA vs. TODAY vs. CBSTM

wabceyewitness

TODAY ends Good Morning America winning streak. For the first time since April 2012, during a non-Olympics week, NBC's Today finishes first in total viewers and beats Good Morning America. Today has been winning the demo for months now.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/after-4-years-in-2nd-place-nbcs-today-show-retakes-the-morning-show-lead/289051

As we've spoken about on this forum, Good Morning America has certainly lost a lot of the energy it had that brought it to first place back in 2012 and now the ratings prove it.

TODAY ends Good Morning America winning streak. For the first time since April 2012, during a non-Olympics week, NBC's Today finishes first in total viewers and beats Good Morning America. Today has been winning the demo for months now.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/after-4-years-in-2nd-place-nbcs-today-show-retakes-the-morning-show-lead/289051

As we've spoken about on this forum, Good Morning America has certainly lost a lot of the energy it had that brought it to first place back in 2012 and now the ratings prove it.

TODAY Show I will say overall now is a better show then it was 4-6 Years ago content wise. It was pretty stale in 2010 and 2011. I do like the improvements TODAY has made over the last year and has really gotten better as of late especially with more hard News in it first hour.

As someone who been a longtime TODAY Viewer I will admit GMA was a little better in 2012. GMA win in 2012 came at a perfect time. It benefited back then from a lot of things going on or stuff that had just happened. It was also fresh. And the chemistry was better

Today is solid the first half hour but GMA has gotten too lost in becoming a glamour show. They need to go back to basics and what is missing is the family aspect of the show. What made GMA surpass Today show was that they had better team, they got along with each other and was a close knit group.

GMA has always been too flashy and sensationalist for my taste, and part of the reason why they took over in the first place was because they seemed to have so much fun with each other on air, which isn't a bad thing at all! However, they seemed to be more concerned with fun, at least to me. Today tried to copy that for a while, but slowly went more of the hard news route. I wonder if they took a page from CBSTM in that regard.

What they need to do now is keep that up. I don't think either of them are viewing CBS as a threat right now, which would be a mistake. They're still a distant third but continually growing. Give them another year or two and they may be battling it out for 2nd place. With whom is the question. That will really start a war when that time comes.

ABC needs to get it's act together before this becomes worse.

What I will be interested to see is what happens to the ratings if Matt Lauer doesn't renew his contract which is what is rumored. I could very well see Today slipping back into solid second with CBSTM coming up fast.

GMA has always been too flashy and sensationalist for my taste, and part of the reason why they took over in the first place was because they seemed to have so much fun with each other on air, which isn't a bad thing at all! However, they seemed to be more concerned with fun, at least to me. Today tried to copy that for a while, but slowly went more of the hard news route. I wonder if they took a page from CBSTM in that regard.

What they need to do now is keep that up. I don't think either of them are viewing CBS as a threat right now, which would be a mistake. They're still a distant third but continually growing. Give them another year or two and they may be battling it out for 2nd place. With whom is the question. That will really start a war when that time comes.

GMA was for a time the more serious broadcast compared to Today and at that time, The Early Show. It was the second most underwhelming period ratings wise for the show. The show currently has just gone full tabloid and it's awkward watching George and Robin and Amy be reduced to such crap sometimes.

The show currently has just gone full tabloid and it's awkward watching George and Robin and Amy be reduced to such crap sometimes.

But they should surely have some say in the show's format. Seems like Lauer has a lot of say in how things go over at Today, so why shouldn't George and Robin? Especially Robin.

But they should surely have some say in the show's format. Seems like Lauer has a lot of say in how things go over at Today, so why shouldn't George and Robin? Especially Robin.

I could easily see how they'd be outvoted on any objections with the shows direction. The most successful period for the show came while they took a more tabloidy feel, the executives probably have protested anything that goes against their winning success. In Brian Stelter's book he discussed how dedicated the show runners at GMA were to the format because of the success.

Robin may have some say say in the show but I don't tihnk George really has much or would to be honest. And Amy definitely wouldn't.

Difference is Matt been on TODAY Show for close to 20 Years as the Co-anchor and been there for a total of 22 years as he was New-anchor at one time.

Savannah doesn't have any power or has much of a say in the daily workings of TODAY.

From what I have read around the web (TVNewser, Twitter, Facebook, etc,.) it seem like GMA biggest problem is Lara Spencer. And that the show has gone way to soft even in it 7am hour.

I can definitely attest to the clear fact that she's a co-anchor with Robin and George. As in "as important to the main team as they are". Since then, she's appeared as much throughout the show as the main duo, and has even filled in for Robin at times. And she doesn't need to be.

I like Lara a lot. She's the reason I watched The Insider for the first several years, and I enjoy her bubbly and inviting personality any show she's on. But only in doses. She's great at fluff stuff and really nothing else. I say she shouldn't leave GMA (she's a great member to the team), but should get a demotion to just fluff stuff after 7:30.

I will say CBS This Morning in present day is so much better vs. CBS This Morning 20 years ago. CBS literally does actual news, while GMA (which has always been my favorite) and Today give you news for the first 30 minutes and it fluff throughout the day. My problem with GMA is Lara Spencer she annoys me, and she too syrupy for me. Now, when she was on The Insider she did well, and still don't know what she did to Les Moonves for her not getting the job at E.T.

GMA has become IMO just too much, and over the top. Robin, George, Amy, Ginger, Michael I have no problem with them. I wish Chris Como and Robin were on GMA and George on World News Tonight, or even Robin on WNT. (Sorry not a fan of Muir on WNT) I welcome bring Sam Champion back, don't know how that will play out.

Meanwhile over at Today, I think has gotten it strength back, but I did like Meredith w/ Matt and even like Ann Curry w/ Matt. Savannah has come into her own, but Matt leads the ship. They have their own fluff as well too, but Today fluff is different vs. GMA fluff which is just over the top. My biggest thing with Today is do you really need to be on for 8 hours lol? The 9AM should be Hoda/Kathy with Wille & Natalie. The 10AM should be their own hour (They were going to spin off Today Professional into a series). Having Today Show on for four hours IMO has run it course.

However you have the cable outlet also doing their morning news which I get into with Morning Joe on MSNBC and New Day on CNN which has found it niche is also.

I think CBS This Morning is the best choice for me, but if I had a second choice, it would be Today. I never really liked Good Morning America at all.

I prefer CBS This Morning, considering that its ACTUAL news from 7:00-9:00am and not fluff that Today and GMA like to do after 8:00am.

I will say CBS This Morning in present day is so much better vs. CBS This Morning 20 years ago. CBS literally does actual news, while GMA (which has always been my favorite) and Today give you news for the first 30 minutes and it fluff throughout the day. My problem with GMA is Lara Spencer she annoys me, and she too syrupy for me. Now, when she was on The Insider she did well, and still don't know what she did to Les Moonves for her not getting the job at E.T.

GMA has become IMO just too much, and over the top. Robin, George, Amy, Ginger, Michael I have no problem with them. I wish Chris Como and Robin were on GMA and George on World News Tonight, or even Robin on WNT. (Sorry not a fan of Muir on WNT) I welcome bring Sam Champion back, don't know how that will play out.

Meanwhile over at Today, I think has gotten it strength back, but I did like Meredith w/ Matt and even like Ann Curry w/ Matt. Savannah has come into her own, but Matt leads the ship. They have their own fluff as well too, but Today fluff is different vs. GMA fluff which is just over the top. My biggest thing with Today is do you really need to be on for 8 hours lol? The 9AM should be Hoda/Kathy with Wille & Natalie. The 10AM should be their own hour (They were going to spin off Today Professional into a series). Having Today Show on for four hours IMO has run it course.

However you have the cable outlet also doing their morning news which I get into with Morning Joe on MSNBC and New Day on CNN which has found it niche is also.

NBC's cash cow is the Today show, NBC has been so weak in their primetime and daytime lineup that they depend on their news division to make money for them. CBS and ABC don't have to go through that, they have great primetime lineup with monster shows and programming. In reality CBS has the strongest primetime but their news magazine brings in massive ratings.

Archived