The whole program of CBS Weekend News seems like it's produced in bits and pieces as the correspondents file their reports.

That actually sounds like a luxury for the producer and crew.

The majority of the program was produced live to tape at 5pm ET as seen on the live feed of CBSN (a live bug was included at the time). The specifics such as the teases, intros, etc (that referenced, or had monitor graphics referencing the CBS Weekend News brand) were recorded at a different time

Would it matter during the fall & winter months where CBS airs NFL Football which carries on into primetime shows? Also when spring comes NCAA college basketball sometimes pre-empts the weekend version of the news. Maybe CBS is looking with so many sports programming events they feel they won't have to pour much on the weekends for news.

Would it matter during the fall & winter months where CBS airs NFL Football which carries on into primetime shows? Also when spring comes NCAA college basketball sometimes pre-empts the weekend version of the news. Maybe CBS is looking with so many sports programming events they feel they won't have to pour much on the weekends for news.

And when you are making a ton of money off of sports.....

The presentation of the CBS Weekend News seems a bit too low-key, but for the most part I can't argue with the content. Some of the segments, like the one from North Korea, seemed to run too long, as if they were trying to fill time. As for Pelley anchoring from NY when he "should" be anchoring from the field, I've never been a big fan of putting the anchor at the scene of the action. I feel that it skews the newscast too heavily in favor of the story where the anchor is situated and other news gets short shrift. When you've only got twenty minutes of air time, every minute counts.

• 2 weeks later...
As for Pelley anchoring from NY when he "should" be anchoring from the field, I've never been a big fan of putting the anchor at the scene of the action. I feel that it skews the newscast too heavily in favor of the story where the anchor is situated and other news gets short shrift. When you've only got twenty minutes of air time, every minute counts.

Watching any field-anchored broadcast makes me yearn for a return to the days when doing that included a toss to New York or Washington for the rest of the day's news.� I'm actually pretty sure that I remember at least one case back in the 80s when Peter Jennings was overseas for the Olympics or some kind of presidential trip when a big story broke back in the US and there was an awkward "...but first, Ted Koppel in Washington" introduction.

Watching any field-anchored broadcast makes me yearn for a return to the days when doing that included a toss to New York or Washington for the rest of the day's news.� I'm actually pretty sure that I remember at least one case back in the 80s when Peter Jennings was overseas for the Olympics or some kind of presidential trip when a big story broke back in the US and there was an awkward "...but first, Ted Koppel in Washington" introduction.

Even when they do the toss there's never enough time for the NY or DC-based anchor to do much more than read off a few headlines.

Does anyone know why the news bulletins during 60 Minutes are branded as "CBS Money Watch Updates"? Most of the time, the anchor just reads 2-3 headlines and that's it. Is it used to promote the Money Watch brand, or is there more to it?

Does anyone know why the news bulletins during 60 Minutes are branded as "CBS Money Watch Updates"? Most of the time, the anchor just reads 2-3 headlines and that's it. Is it used to promote the Money Watch brand, or is there more to it?

Because they're business news stories and CBS Money Watch is CBS's business news branding.

Because they're business news stories and CBS Money Watch is CBS's business news branding.

That's the thing; they're usually general headlines about news topics covered on the "Evening News", now "Weekend News". The whole reason I asked is because I assume that if it's under the Moneywatch moniker, then it would be a business wrap up (which, from what I've observed overtime, it's not unless a business story is at the top of the cycle). I'm wondering if there is a reason why it is not branded as a general news update, especially in cases where the evening broadcast was preempted and the only live news output that night from CBS was that short update?

Archived