My understanding is this broadcast will be CBSN. The weekend offering of CBSN will be branded as CBS Weekend News and will air from 1pm onward, simulcasting an updated edition on the CBS Television Network at 6:30pm eastern time.

Also, interesting they chose younger women of color instead of Jim Axlerod and Jeff Glor, who will be staying with the network. I'm sure they realized the new *younger* and more diverse editions of World News Tonight and Nightly News were killing them in the demo. And interesting Ninan, who most recently anchored a newscast in the middle of the night was chosen and not someone like Josh Elliott, Michelle Miller or Vinita Nair.

Deadline Hollywood includes the data the supports this change: over the past 31 weeks, the Saturday news aired in-pattern 11 times; the Sunday news aired only 4 times.

I'm surprised CBS is not offering "CBS Weekend News" as an optional broadcast for affiliates. Stations would do better having the full hour for local avails.

So that would explain the extra long close I saw last night. I kept thinking to myself that having the long close/credits seemed weird, almost like an obituary for the program. Go figure.

Looks like the weekend morning shows will be recorded as well and they will rely on CBSN for breaking news. They're looking towards a lean 2017. Also NBC is reportedly paying off the rest of Josh Elliotcontract with CBS paying next to nothing.

I wonder if Les is trying to look for another buyer for the network once Sumner passes or perhaps merging again with Viacom?

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/5/3/cbs-to-record-weekend-morning-news-cancel-evening

So that would explain the extra long close I saw last night. I kept thinking to myself that having the long close/credits seemed weird, almost like an obituary for the program. Go figure.

Yeah I thought that was weird too especially with the bts workers waving good bye.

Looks like the weekend morning shows will be recorded as well and they will rely on CBSN for breaking news. They're looking towards a lean 2017. Also NBC is reportedly paying off the rest of Josh Elliotcontract with CBS paying next to nothing.

I wonder if Les is trying to look for another buyer for the network once Sumner passes or perhaps merging again with Viacom?

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/5/3/cbs-to-record-weekend-morning-news-cancel-evening

I think the idea of integrating CBSN more closer with the other CBS News outlets is a great direction but don't really like pre-recorded newscasts.

I've noticed that too. I guess that they did not want to pull the focus away from the news by talking about themselves too much.

Is this going to be the new normal over at NBC & ABC News for their weekend newscast? Why not cut Les Moonves' salary?

Not right now. Ratings=money, so I'd imagine CBS is in a tighter pinch right now. They also don't have much high-priced talent to cut, so production is what suffers. Both ABC and NBC's morning shows appear to be heading toward to talent reorganization, though, but that's not likely until next season or even next year. A similar move is also not likely at ABC and NBC as their weekend newscasts air regularly, and they don't have the secondary service like CBSN to pull from (unless you count MSNBC, but that's kind of different).

I now wonder how many CBS affiliates are going to delegate the Saturday edition of CBS This Morning to a sister station, a subchannel, or even drop it altogether for an extended weekend morning show? I know towards the end of WRAL's run as a CBS affiliate, they only aired the first hour on the main channel before sending the second hour over to their Heroes & Icons subchannel so they could do a 9am local show.

I know WFMY in Greensboro doesn't even air the weekend edition at all, they also run the weekday edition from 8a-10a to do a 7am local morning newscast which I assume goes back to The Early Show when affiliates had more freedom to play with that slot.

EDIT: does WWL in New Orleans still air CBS-TM on their MyNetworkTV sister station?

I know WFMY in Greensboro doesn't even air the weekend edition at all, they also run the weekday edition from 8a-10a to do a 7am local morning newscast which I assume goes back to The Early Show when affiliates had more freedom to play with that slot.

EDIT: does WWL in New Orleans still air CBS-TM on their MyNetworkTV sister station?

Yep. WFMY still airs "The Good Morning Show" from 6:00-9:00am on weekends, delegating CBS-TM Saturday to their WNTV subchannel on 2.3 as it airs there from 7:00-9:00am.

And yes... WUPL 54 airs CBS-TM so that WWL airs their 4:30-9:00am Eyewitness Morning News. Frankly... WUPL 54 airs a 4:30-7:00am simulcast of WWL's news before going to CBS-TM from 7:00-9:00am.

I'm curious why is it that they are saying they cancelled the evening news when they're still producing them through CBSN ?

New name, new production crew, new anchors. They completely eliminated the outgoing show, even the new product follows the same playbook. It's like when Harry Reasoner's 'Evening News' was cancelled in favor of the Reynolds/Robinson/Jennings 'World News Tonight'.

I now wonder how many CBS affiliates are going to delegate the Saturday edition of CBS This Morning to a sister station, a subchannel, or even drop it altogether for an extended weekend morning show? I know towards the end of WRAL's run as a CBS affiliate, they only aired the first hour on the main channel before sending the second hour over to their Heroes & Icons subchannel so they could do a 9am local show.

Most of those preemptions and/or airings on sister stations of "CBS This Morning: Saturday" are grandfathered and go back nearly 20 years to when "CBS News Saturday Morning" premiered in 1997. Today's affiliation contracts are probably tight enough that a station that is currently carrying the show might find it tough to drop or relegate to a sub-channel or sister station. From a programming perspective, it might make sense for CBS to just cut the Saturday show to an hour, particularly if that would help the show rack up a few more clearances, and perhaps appease some affiliates who might be making noise about wanting part or all of the time slot back. On the other hand, if the full 2-hour show is making money, CBS has little reason to want to change things.

And yes, WWL still relegates the weekday "CBS This Morning" to its sister station, but carries the weekend edition on the main station. And WWL's treatment of CBSTM is another example of a grandfathered preemption, going back to the mid-1980s or so.

If CBS were to cancel weekend news outright, then they would wave the white flag and give up against ABC and NBC who will continue to do weekend news, no matter what.

And even with that, CBS still has Face the Nation and 60 Minutes on Sundays, which are both #1, so might as well continue with weekend newscasts, but done differently I guess.

And I don't think they'll change CBS-TM Saturday, except maybe shorten it to just an hour, just like ABC's GMA on weekends.

Even though WOOD is with NBC, they already pre-empt the weekend editions of "NBC Nightly News" in favor of their hour-long weekend news at 6:00 and 6:30pm.

Same for WAVY and the Sunday edition pre-empted for hour-long news at 6:00 and 6:30pm.

It wouldn't be no different for CBS.

What's kind of interesting about this whole ordeal is that CBS News is basically saying "we're doing this because sports has gotten in the way of us."

I feel like CBS News is basically saying "We're doing this because we're cheap bastards." They almost never send Pelley on location on the weekday edition either. It's bad enough he's boring as it is.

I feel like CBS News is basically saying "We're doing this because we're cheap bastards." They almost never send Pelley on location on the weekday edition either. It's bad enough he's boring as it is.

Exactly...

They have the money, they chose not to spend it because why should they when they have "web assets" around the globe.

You want to see Pelly travel more often???

Pay or subscribe to CBS News on a monthly basis.

If you want your news "free" then expect cheap excuses.

Looks like the program was recorded sometime around 4PM. In the monitors in the background they showed the pre show for the Kentucky Derby because Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski were doing their shtick. Additionally the LA bureau turned off the clocks showing the time in each time zone.

Okay now I'm thoroughly confused at the end of the program (about 6:25PM) the monitors showed WABC doing the weather and WNBC's Janice Huff doing the weather as well. I thought NBC didn't have any newscasts today?

I wonder if it's recorded in bits and pieces.

That's just plain sad....

Honestly, shutting off the clocks is the absolute worst.

Well, Sunday Today does the same thing at their round table. I guess they turn them off because the show airs at different times & a clock/prompter would be annoying in vision.

The whole program of CBS Weekend News seems like it's produced in bits and pieces as the correspondents file their reports.

Archived