Lee Rosenthal Out at WFXT

Eat News

. I, as a Massachusetts native, actually had an opportunity to watch Fox 25 on my last trip to Massachusetts this past June, and liked it. The ND's departure kinda shocks me. Can't wait to see the New NBC 60 get Its news.

The amazing thing is, WFXT and WHDH will beat NBC Boston's butt so badly even in the weakened states both stations are in. Good grief.

Please Cox, do us all a favor and trade WFXT to NBC for whatever is acceptable.

Boston is a fairly provincial market and doesn't take kindly to cookie-cutter approaches to news, WHDH being a rare exception (although Ansin was born in Mass., so perhaps he had an inkling as to what would fly there.) Ultimately, Rosenthal's epitaph will be as the one who sent Maria Stephanos packing. I don't know if FOX 25 will ever truly recover from that fiasco.

Honestly, I think Cox's fatal flaw is they didn't go far enough with WFXT. They didn't want to blow the whole thing up and I don't know why.

They could have turned the place into KTVU East and I thought that's why Lee was there in the first place. That would have brought them a unique identity. Instead the whole thing felt half-hearted at best. A FOX lookalike with the attitude gutted.

While I don't doubt Maria leaving was a factor, I also wonder if, given the budget cuts Fox is mandating everywhere, that wouldn't have happened eventually anyway. FXT had a golden era of competitive ratings, but that was largely thanks to Idol lead-ins and those days are long gone.

Lee was not the guy to turn it into KTVU East. Lee was the guy who created the climate that allowed KTVU to decline. This isn't surprising news at all.

Also note the Maria decision was not made in a vacuum ...sure those brains were in a vacuum...but a lot more people including Rosenthal signed off on that blunder.

Archived