KGTV reporter facing backlash over use of suitcase prop during live shot...

A3N

You may wonder, what's the big deal over using a suitcase as a prop during a live shot? Well, the story that KGTV reporter Bree Steffen was covering involves a man facing charges of murdering his coworker and stuffing her body in a suitcase. Steffen used a suitcase as prop during her live shot, and placed her hand inside of it. What she hoped to accomplish by this, I have no clue, nor do I think that viewers really need a re-enactment of how to stuff a dead body in a suitcase, but I digress.

Anyways, this kind of crap reporting crosses so many lines, and the funny thing is that apparently management at KGTV encourages this type "reporting." Steffen was called out by fellow morning reporter Gene Kang from KFMB (without specifically mentioning her or the station). In reading the comments on his FB page, several reporters and producers from competing stations were shocked and disgusted by Steffen's actions. Kang says that he only brought up the story because those who knew the victim "vented" to him.

I should be shocked that something like this would happen at KGTV, but then again this station has gone down the toilet since the current news director came aboard about a year ago. I'm not sure if this is the type of crap that Scripps goes for, but they need to step in and make changes at the station. Maybe a change might get them out of the gutter of trashy reporting and ratings.

TVSpy has a write up on this...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/san-diego-reporter-calls-another-reporter-tasteless-over-suitcase-in-live-shot/177732

Someone needs to have an intervention with the folks at WHSV in Harrisonburg, VA.

http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Skunky-smell-becoming-more-noticeable-392648731.html

Scroll down and click on the "Channing Skunk" or "Skunk Warning" video.

Stuff like this doesn't belong on a newscast and REALLY crosses the line when done ON SET!

You may wonder, what's the big deal over using a suitcase as a prop during a live shot? Well, the story that KGTV reporter Bree Steffen was covering involves a man facing charges of murdering his coworker and stuffing her body in a suitcase. Steffen used a suitcase as prop during her live shot, and placed her hand inside of it. What she hoped to accomplish by this, I have no clue, nor do I think that viewers really need a re-enactment of how to stuff a dead body in a suitcase, but I digress.

Anyways, this kind of crap reporting crosses so many lines, and the funny thing is that apparently management at KGTV encourages this type "reporting." Steffen was called out by fellow morning reporter Gene Kang from KFMB (without specifically mentioning her or the station). In reading the comments on his FB page, several reporters and producers from competing stations were shocked and disgusted by Steffen's actions. Kang says that he only brought up the story because those who knew the victim "vented" to him.

I should be shocked that something like this would happen at KGTV, but then again this station has gone down the toilet since the current news director came aboard about a year ago. I'm not sure if this is the type of crap that Scripps goes for, but they need to step in and make changes at the station. Maybe a change might get them out of the gutter of trashy reporting and ratings.

TVSpy has a write up on this...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/san-diego-reporter-calls-another-reporter-tasteless-over-suitcase-in-live-shot/177732

I saw the liveshot and I thought it was just another KGTV "active stand-up". It's a KGTV staple.

I bet $100 Jim Bunner the EP of the KFMB show called Kang and said "why didn't you think of that?"

First off it's Bree Steffen...

She looks like my kids babysitter, and just this week she started sporting "smart girl glasses" that I can almost swear are fake. So she is an Idiot anyway from her past performances. She looks like a ripe target for the molester van.

Next lets look at Gene Kang...

He is also an idiot who cannot keep facts straight from one liveshot to another..

between him and Ruben Galvan it's a contest to see who can be the "

uber-gayest" of the morning shows. There is some serious competition for the "gayest of the gay" slot in SD morning TV.

I don't care if they are gay but it seems like a race to be the gayest in this town.

Oh....

And don't get me started on Ashley Jacobs of KFMB...

This chick can't get through a live shot without sucking on her baba(smartphone).

She can't memorize her lead-ins and it's become soooo bad that the photogs now zoom off her, or pan off her as soon as possible because she is glued to that phone, and it looks awful, and she HAS beed talked to about the problem.

I feel better now....

Never forget the classic Fox 8 News bear story, where Todd Meany was apparently auditioning to take over for Big Chuck and Lil' John.

The only thing missing is the BC&LJ laugh track.

At least his station gave him extra time for the arts and crafts.

I saw the liveshot and I thought it was just another KGTV "active stand-up". It's a KGTV staple.

I bet $100 Jim Bunner the EP of the KFMB show called Kang and said "why didn't you think of that?"

She looks like my kids babysitter, and just this week she started sporting "smart girl glasses" that I can almost swear are fake. So she is an Idiot anyway from her past performances. She looks like a ripe target for the molester van.

He is also an idiot who cannot keep facts straight from one liveshot to another..

uber-gayest" of the morning shows. There is some serious competition for the "gayest of the gay" slot in SD morning TV.

I don't care if they are gay but it seems like a race to be the gayest in this town.

Oh....

This chick can't get through a live shot without sucking on her baba(smartphone).

She can't memorize her lead-ins and it's become soooo bad that the photogs now zoom off her, or pan off her as soon as possible because she is glued to that phone, and it looks awful, and she HAS beed talked to about the problem.

I feel better now....

I don't disagree, however there's a time and place for show and tell reporting. Reporting on a murder story isn't one of them. All stations in town are employing stupid gimmicks into their newscasts to try and keep up with the young--visual learning kiddos. However, in the last year or so, you have to admit, that KGTV has gone down the shitter-even more. And this is the station with the "Breaking News Tracker"... This station is as bad as their news director's haircut...

This station is as bad as their news director's haircut...

Ouchy!

Ok, ok....they DO really suck.

They remind me of the people that shop and work at Ross Dress 4 Less. The "B" Team...the Kinda OK lookers...the "sorta bad" news bears but without Tanner....and no booze or cussing.

Scrapps management is not the swiftest in the country, and they don't hire anyone really smart (to keep it fair) for the fear of embarrassing upper management.

Boy, I thought I was gonna get crap for basing on the gay reporters....but you actually based on Tiffany Lupensky's hair cut.

OUCH!

Ouchy!

Ok, ok....they DO really suck.

They remind me of the people that shop and work at Ross Dress 4 Less. The "B" Team...the Kinda OK lookers...the "sorta bad" news bears but without Tanner....and no booze or cussing.

Scrapps management is not the swiftest in the country, and they don't hire anyone really smart (to keep it fair) for the fear of embarrassing upper management.

Boy, I thought I was gonna get crap for basing on the gay reporters....but you actually based on Tiffany Lupensky's hair cut.

OUCH!

Kind of hard to avoid, because it's painfully obvious to look at. Hell, even Anne State got the same-ish cut...

I know i'm grasping at straws, err hair strands...but if someone has that hideous type of hair cut, it really makes you question their judgment. I know there's no correlation between bad hair and bad management, but you have to admit that she hasn't helped herself- in either case. LOL. Ok, now i'm gonna stop on roasting her over her hair, but still, you gotta admit Eat, the jokes write themselves...

Bree seems to be from my home state of Kansas. She definitely "looks Wichita" from some of her past photos.

Scripps isn't the only one to encourage the use of props in live shots. Got a story involving a car? Do the live shot in the driver's seat of the station SUV. Internet something-or-other? Live shot sitting at someone's computer. It happens everywhere. News directors love it, even if you're using a prop relating the death of another human being.

Quick story about props gone wrong: a reporter at my station (before I arrived) needed some help coming up with a tease for her story. Someone apparently told her, metaphorically, to dangle a carrot for the audience. She dangled a carrot.

Bree seems to be from my home state of Kansas. She definitely "looks Wichita" from some of her past photos.

Scripps isn't the only one to encourage the use of props in live shots. Got a story involving a car? Do the live shot in the driver's seat of the station SUV. Internet something-or-other? Live shot sitting at someone's computer. It happens everywhere. News directors love it, even if you're using a prop relating the death of another human being.

Quick story about props gone wrong: a reporter at my station (before I arrived) needed some help coming up with a tease for her story. Someone apparently told her, metaphorically, to dangle a carrot for the audience. She dangled a carrot.

The carrots were skinny little things. But I guess you go with what you are familiar with. WTF is up with those shoulders?

Don't give these Bozo's a handgun story...they may hurt themselves.

Lest we forget Julie Tremmel....who got canned from WJAR for her on-air antics....

Here's her classic "bear sighting" story....

This one did her in...

Media General owned them back then...would Sinclair have put up with (or even encouraged) her antics?

Here is the thing about Julie Tremmel...

She is a pretty solid reporter and does great live shots in most cases.

The WJAR stuff was off the wall, but I'm pretty sure she was encouraged to "take more chances" and it bit her on the ass AND the news director threw her under the bus.

Julie is a very dedicated reporter, and she will do whatever it takes and beyond to tell a good accurate story...but she got sucked into the whole "active " stand-up/ live shot thing, and it got the best of her and she was left to dry on her own.

Bree Steffen also got sucked in to the whole "active" deal also by mandate of KGTV. My gut also tells me the ND didn't require any script approval of any type on Steffen...or it wasn't enforced....or they knew in advance. Those are the only logical choices.

In every TV newsroom there are reporters you completely trust, and those you don't/ can't because of experience or lack-of.

You don't worry about Fiorena, Milanas, both Crieghton's, Joe Little, Santos, Chen or Allison Ash...they are pretty safe bets.

All the others at KGTV need to be script checked at the very least for factual and pronounce guide. If you dictate active stand ups in every piece, then be ready to monitor it for quality control across the board.

I don't think the use of that suitcase was a surprise to the ND or the EP at KGTV...I just have that gut feeling The producer knew because most reporters don't keep a person sized suitcase handy for live shots. That suit case had to be purchased or borrowed...or Steffen had to go home for it, but someone above her knew is was going to be 'in play".

Gene Kang(KFMB) needs to pull the bug out of his butt and shut the hell up, because if he had a suitcase he would have done the same thing...she just beat him and Dean Ellison to it.

I'm kind of confused at what about all the hullabaloo of this story - I'm having trouble finding the original video. The whole use of the suitcase was stupid and putting her hand in it seems like it added nothing to it. The reporter who called her out seems like a douche - it's not like she tried to stuff herself into the suitcase.

I love bet $100 Jim Bunner the EP of the KFMB show called Kang and said "why didn't you think of that?"

Oh....

I feel better now....

Sounds like you roasted every San Diego station but KNSD (could that be where Eat works?).

All I can say is I'm thankful that these "active standups" as you call them are rare in Baltimore. When they do happen it's usually a stack of papers.

I'm kind of confused at what about all the hullabaloo of this story - I'm having trouble finding the original video. The whole use of the suitcase was stupid and putting her hand in it seems like it added nothing to it. The reporter who called her out seems like a douche - it's not like she tried to stuff herself into the suitcase.

Sounds like you roasted every San Diego station but KNSD (could that be where Eat works?).

All I can say is I'm thankful that these "active standups" as you call them are rare in Baltimore. When they do happen it's usually a stack of papers.

Kang is a drama queen, but he is right...to a certain extent. It was a very stupid thing to do on her part, in FRONT of the courthouse. Again, what purpose does having a prop serve? Do people really need to know what size/type of suitcase the victim's body was stuffed into? And what was the purpose of her putting her hand into the suitcase for? Was she looking for candy? Highly doubt it.

I'm not trying to single her out. The thing is that this shit is part of a larger problem or "culture" issue going on at KGTV. They're so desperate for viewers that they'll stoop to any level to get them. I realize that tv news isn't what it used to be, but you can't expect to gain viewers with stupid stunts like these. Keep in mind, that this station employs a photog during the overnight hours that is sent to cover any breaking news all over the county- You should see the amount of stupid shit he's done just to get that few seconds of precious video to air during the morning news. Ask EatNews about the several times this photog has run down the freeway chasing after drunk drivers who've either crashed or stopped on the roadway to record video. Eat has brought up several times how these stunts are very dangerous and a liability to the station--yet they continue to do it.

Kang is a drama queen, but he is right...to a certain extent. It was a very stupid thing to do on her part, in FRONT of the courthouse. Again, what purpose does having a prop serve? Do people really need to know what size/type of suitcase the victim's body was stuffed into? And what was the purpose of her putting her hand into the suitcase for? Was she looking for candy? Highly doubt it.

I agree completely that it was stupid on her part but the guy shouldn't have brought it up. Sounds like he may have known it would get attention. That being said stirring up shit could stall his career if KFMB lets him go - other stations in the market may think that he "doesn't play nice with others" .

I'm not trying to single her out. The thing is that this shit is part of a larger problem or "culture" issue going on at KGTV. They're so desperate for viewers that they'll stoop to any level to get them. I realize that tv news isn't what it used to be, but you can't expect to gain viewers with stupid stunts like these. Keep in mind, that this station employs a photog during the overnight hours that is sent to cover any breaking news all over the county- You should see the amount of stupid shit he's done just to get that few seconds of precious video to air during the morning news. Ask EatNews about the several times this photog has run down the freeway chasing after drunk drivers who've either crashed or stopped on the roadway to record video. Eat has brought up several times how these stunts are very dangerous and a liability to the station--yet they continue to do it.

Not to get too off topic but EatNews if your reading this please explain.

I agree completely that it was stupid on her part but the guy shouldn't have brought it up. Sounds like he may have known it would get attention. That being said stirring up shit could stall his career if KFMB lets him go - other stations in the market may think that he "doesn't play nice with others" .

Not to get too off topic but EatNews if your reading this please explain.

I'm sure he did it partly for attention. I doubt he'll be the type to stick around long term in this market anyways. That being said, several people from other stations-- reporter(s) and a few producers commented on what he posted. They weren't exactly to praise Steffen. In fact one producer (at KNSD, I believe) said that they should have left her [steffen] on the 11pm instead of moving her to mornings...

@rkolsen ... This is the type of crap that this photog covers/does in his "breaking news tracker" https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1226994577343022 Read the comments on their FB post/page. As you can see, he just shows up and films knowing there's a wrecked car in the lanes with other vehicles speeding from behind.

[quote name='A3N']@rkolsen ... This is the type of crap that this photog covers/does in his "breaking news tracker" https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1226994577343022 Read the comments on their FB post/page. As you can see, he just shows up and films knowing there's a wrecked car in the lanes with other vehicles speeding from behind.[/QUOTE] That's exactly what he does. He started doing that "trick" up in LA in the late 90's .,..that's after he was chased out of SD by the SDPD over a gun issue. His LA "tour" ended badly and involved a 3 letter federal agency which caused him to "disappear" for about 8 years from the TV scene ( to get his shit together) he returned in 2011 as a stringer . RKO and A3N pretty much got it right about KGTV. I don't dislike Bree Steffen, but she is way out of touch and lacks street smarts like a reporter needs in ANY size market. And Kang??? He needs to buy a jacket.

I'm sure he did it partly for attention. I doubt he'll be the type to stick around long term in this market anyways. That being said, several people from other stations-- reporter(s) and a few producers commented on what he posted. They weren't exactly to praise Steffen. In fact one producer (at KNSD, I believe) said that they should have left her [steffen] on the 11pm instead of moving her to mornings...

One of these days soon we will talk about the " Marie Coronel (sp) factor" and the reboot" to the KGTV reporter situation.

There are morning show reporters....and there are regular show reporters. I personally think there is a giant difference (as should be) in the 2 types... hard and fluff

San Diego is not a tough market to work in. Kang acted like an ass so he could get the family of the victim in his camp for any upcoming trial. Most of the press in SD is pretty lazy and mellow.

The big deal in SD is to get hired fulltime with bennies and drop a few babies before you wash out in 2-3 years. The female reporters work that angle the second they arrive here, and it drives the ND's nuts.

If you get lucky you can compete with Bade, Zamarodi, Edwards or Myers as to who is the best TV Mommy in SD.

(Notice Melissa Mecija is on baby#2 @ KGTV already in under 4 years)

One of these days soon we will talk about the " Marie Coronel (sp) factor" and the reboot" to the KGTV reporter situation.

There are morning show reporters....and there are regular show reporters. I personally think there is a giant difference (as should be) in the 2 types... hard and fluff

San Diego is not a tough market to work in. Kang acted like an ass so he could get the family of the victim in his camp for any upcoming trial. Most of the press in SD is pretty lazy and mellow.

The big deal in SD is to get hired fulltime with bennies and drop a few babies before you wash out in 2-3 years. The female reporters work that angle the second they arrive here, and it drives the ND's nuts.

If you get lucky you can compete with Bade, Zamarodi, Edwards or Myers as to who is the best TV Mommy in SD.

(Notice Melissa Mecija is on baby#2 @ KGTV already in under 4 years)

Even with the situation involving Marie, they're still are out on the field acting stupid. Situation awareness is key. Half of these knuckleheads don't have it.

And for anyone in the media or out of the media here in CA, the CHP hates hates hates freeways/lanes being obstructed for any longer than it needs to be. They're so anal retentive about clearing up the lanes that they will literally push vehicles/objects out of the lanes with their cars. The fact that he is parked on a dark ramp puts himself and the victims in even more danger. With good reason, this is why CHP tries to clear accidents right away... to avoid more accidents and looky loos.

Archived