WRIC in temporary set in the newsroom.

JacobC

Some viewers who watched 8 News at 6 notice that their not in the current news set. They are anchor in the newsroom while the news set is getting a makeover.

Yep, since the middle of last month. Not only they're getting a new set, they're also getting a new logo - after 26 years with the stylized 8 (in a circle from 1990-2004 and later in a box from 2004 onward) - and new graphics currently used on KOIN 6 in Portland, OR. It's about time because the current Young graphics they're using are so dated. Time for something fresh. Here's the new logo via VARTV's Twitter status from Sept. 23rd below and I actually like it.

[MEDIA=twitter]779327647599976448[/MEDIA]

Yep, since the middle of last month. Not only they're getting a new set, they're also getting a new logo - after 26 years with the stylized 8 (in a circle from 1990-2004 and later in a box from 2004 onward) - and new graphics currently used on KOIN 6 in Portland, OR. It's about time because the current Young graphics they're using are so dated. Time for something fresh. Here's the new logo via VARTV's Twitter status from Sept. 23rd below and I actually like it.

[MEDIA=twitter]779327647599976448[/MEDIA]

I'm sorry to say this but it looks way to similar to WTVR's logo.

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said in the chat, today's the day. Here's WRIC's livestream to see the new graphics (currently used by sister station KOIN 6), logo and set in action. I'm surprised they haven't used the Aksidenz-Grotesk font for the graphics (OTS, L3s, etc.) like KOIN does. WRIC is still using Stephen Arnold Music's Guardian theme:

http://wric.com/8news-live-streaming/

EDIT (5:13pm/ET): Here are pics from WRIC's assistant ND:

[MEDIA=twitter]790659380131823616[/MEDIA]

WRIC's new set was created by FX Design Group. They also created a new set for WWBT (up the road from Ch. 8) last year. I think the oldest set in Richmond right now is WRLH (in WWBT's other studio; don't know what year). Meanwhile across the James River, WTVR's set has been around since 2012 or '13 (new duratrans were added with the Tribune CBS graphics last year).

Like I said yesterday, I think it's time to change the name of this thread since WRIC has a new set now.

Archived