WFMJ Set Refresh

NEOMatrix

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WFMJ is still using Arnold's "This is the Place". The open is ehh, looks like they used their drone for video of Youngstown.

Attached is screenshot, unable to capture hopefully next time in that area.

20170201_230400.thumb.png.db0830015cab96abeb1513cebded1bc8.png

20170201_230503.thumb.png.28072f8b5d4f679a10b8994b3b3450f9.png

20170201_230420.thumb.png.d259254d7e1b80f82b2f27bedfdfdb29.png

20170201_230443.thumb.png.7363b9d127a6af5151d55d41852b3c3c.png

WFMJ is still using Arnold's "This is the Place". The open is ehh, looks like they used their drone for video of Youngstown.

Attached is screenshot, unable to capture hopefully next time in that area.

No wonder WFMJ's last two graphics packages weren't in-house.

I caught the 11pm open and lead story tease plus a few screen shots. All I can say is...elementary. The basis of the new set piece is ok but using the monitor for multiple TV images is a waste. That kind of set backdrop is outdated. Plus at one point I saw them use the screen to her right as an OTS and superimposed a story graphic over the peacock. It looked horrible. Here's hoping they will be tweaking things over the short term.

i first saw everything watching the 6 p.m. news online yesterday. totally shocked and disgusted. i had such high hopes. i don't know what's worse... logo/gxf or the set.

why can't wfmj get something MODERN? this set looks like it's from 2005.

management must not pay attention to design trends, or there's no budget for anything decent.

still hoping others parts of the studio get something new.

i first saw everything watching the 6 p.m. news online yesterday. totally shocked and disgusted. i had such high hopes. i don't know what's worse... logo/gxf or the set.

why can't wfmj get something MODERN? this set looks like it's from 2005.

management must not pay attention to design trends, or there's no budget for anything decent.

still hoping others parts of the studio get something new.

The set was installed in 2006 and has many refreshes. Prior to this update it was done in 2012 with conversion to HD. The logo looks to a retake from circa early 90s to 1996.

To add insult to injury, WFMJ only did part of the set (for now) instead of THE ENTIRE SET, which I would've expected to be done since the anchors were off the set for almost 4 months. I want to know how much money The Vindicator is siphoning from WFMJ that they can't do a damn set right.

Looks like WFMJ got tired of looking like a Nexstar station when Nexstar FINALLY came to town (via WKBN and WYTV)...

Looks a lot like the whacked out version of the generic 1990's era logo (before their KCBS-KREM one)

0.jpg

I have to agree that the next logo that came was much better than the 2001 logo.

I'll give a watch at 11 (10 central) to see for myself...

One more thought. Based on what i've seen thus far via screencaps....both WFMJ and WKBN need a font intervention. THE L3 FONTS DO NOT MATCH THE REST OF THE PACKAGE!!!!!

To bump this thread, I was finally able to watch WFMJ last night and capture open.

What the... ....wow. This intro is a mess. Why the random out of focus blue bars? What is up with the awkward tagline transition? Overall, it's visually unappealing to say the least.

But I'll give them kudos for using Gotham. God forbid it wasn't Futura.

What the... ....wow. This intro is a mess. Why the random out of focus blue bars? What is up with the awkward tagline transition? Overall, it's visually unappealing to say the least.

But I'll give them kudos for using Gotham. God forbid it wasn't Futura.

But, WFMJ seems to be using Arial or Helvetica for the L3s, which looks tacky and cheap.

That intro has a good concept, but the animation is a bit too awkward for my tastes. As for the logo...meh. It's not the worst they could do - the one it replaced falls under that category - but it's a far cry from the 21 Action News days...

I'll give it a C for effort. At least they're trying.

• 4 weeks later...
But, WFMJ seems to be using Arial or Helvetica for the L3s, which looks tacky and cheap.

Well....it's been a month, and WFMJ is STILL using Arial in on their ticker and lower thirds. Methinks this is intentional instead of the proper fonts being loaded into the CG...

...or they're copying the distate in fonts that WKBN has had on THEIR package!!!

The set almost looks virtual too. No depth and there appears to be that green "line" around the talent looks like a chroma-key where there's video behind them. But when it goes back to the "default" mode, you see the reflection on the desk like it was an actual backdrop. I don't like the "fake" monitor array that is clearly an array of generated boxes....

Here's hoping their website doesn't crash like it always seems to do while trying to stream their newscast...

Archived