Josh Elliot out at CBS

Daybreak

Not sure what the intrigue is with reviving those two shows, but my bets are on him heading to FS1 (as someone mentioned earlier) to host their new morning show if that gets off the ground.

Because they were good shows the ABC erased most of (standard policy for most of the 70s- NBC did it too). Split Second got revived in 86-87 with Monty Hall himself as host (he had produced the ABC run), but didn't last long due to a glut in the market. (It also had a killer theme, too.) Ron Greenberg tried to revive Big Showdown at least twice (the first time in the early 90s after having revived The Who What or Where Game as The Challengers w/ Dick Clark), but nobody was interested. Both are good, solid formats that deserve new life- the latter especially, as it only lasted from 1974 to 75 and struggled against soap operas. Millionaire is practically a zombie at this rate, and RTM's just a waste of airspace.

Because they were good shows the ABC erased most of (standard policy for most of the 70s- NBC did it too).

.....says you and nobody else.

Honestly, I was born in the late 70s and have never heard of any of these shows. WWTBAM and RTM are not as bad as you make them out to be.

.....says you and nobody else.

Honestly, I was born in the late 70s and have never heard of any of these shows. WWTBAM and RTM are not as bad as you make them out to be.

If they were good shows, then they'd still be around. Once they get too expensive to produce and the revenues don't cover the expenses, then it becomes a bad show.

Firstly, both shows ran in the early to mid 70s, so you wouldn't have heard of them regardless. Secondly, they failed mainly due to outside factors. They were good shows- Split/Second's ratings started dipping because their lead-in, the ABC run of Password, was busy with an influx of gimmick weeks and eventually Password All-Stars. And even then, it was still kicking the ass of Blank Check (or as host Art James called it, Blank Mind) over on NBC. Showdown expired because it was up against The Doctors on NBC, and its' sister show in The Money Maze was a huge money drain (it took way too long to put up the set, tape and take the set down again). ABC cleaned house on their lineup, but their intended new game Showoffs shouldn't have gone to air, as intended host Larry Blyden died in a car accident between the pilot and premiere (he was replaced by Bobby Van for the series).

Personally, I think there's more than meets the eye here. He was about to be promoted to a larger role, and announced it publicly a bit too soon? That warrants a slap on the wrist, but itself is not usually something that would result in termination -- especially if he was poised to be promoted.

I suspect it's not just the premature on-air announcement that got him fired.

Personally, I think there's more than meets the eye here. He was about to be promoted to a larger role, and announced it publicly a bit too soon? That warrants a slap on the wrist, but itself is not usually something that would result in termination -- especially if he was poised to be promoted.

I suspect it's not just the premature on-air announcement that got him fired.

My guess is that someone is discussing things w/ mgmt, and not waiting for the "interpretation/ assistance" from his agent.

They let his ego run wild and when he popped too early...they cut his nuts off, and trashed his name for the foreseeable future.

Problem solved....

Elliot got "Championed".

Some reports say that no formal deal was officially in place to begin with and Elliot's on-air announcement was seen as a play to force CBS' hand and get something finalized. If true, that clearly backfired.

He had a great thing going for him at Good Morning America and should've stayed put. If you didn't know he had a huge ego before, you knew it when Ben Sherwood took the unprecedented step of publicly saying his salary demands in contract negotiations were unreasonable.

Sam Champion had a great thing going at ABC, too, but at least he worked with ABC on a graceful exit that went so well they even had him back filling in for Ginger Zee and guest hosting on LIVE.

He'd be a good fit at WNYW plus they need an evening sports anchor.. they have one on mornings and weekend evenings but not weekend nights.. makes no sense

Don't you mean weeknights ? also what does that Erica Wachter girl do anyways she reports on local fluff sports stuff anyways there?

Kelly Ripa's looking for a co-host, just sayin'....;)

I doubt ABC would want him back after everything that happened.

Not to mention that I don't think her ego would handle having him as a co-host. Nor would his ego allow him to play second-fiddle to Ripa...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived