New York Lottery

brianpr3

Why doesn't WABC air Powerball, Lotto, or Take Five during their 11PM newscast? They air Mega Millions during the late news. But it seems odd that they wouldn't air the big jackpots. I am sure the other NYC stations would be more than willing to broadcast all drawings and take the eyeballs of people tuning in.

Why doesn't WABC air Powerball, Lotto, or Take Five during their 11PM newscast? They air Mega Millions during the late news. But it seems odd that they wouldn't air the big jackpots. I am sure the other NYC stations would be more than willing to broadcast all drawings and take the eyeballs of people tuning in.

You don't think a station airs live lottery drawings for free, do you?

Live lottery drawings are part of paid ad and promotion packages sold to state lottery agencies. Other drawings aren't shown live because they would dramatically increase the price of the ad package. And stations aren't necessarily willing to air half a dozen different lottery drawings. The principle of diminishing returns probably shows there is a point where viewers would resent so many drawings taking away from news time.

Live lottery drawings are part of paid ad and promotion packages sold to state lottery agencies. Other drawings aren't shown live because they would dramatically increase the price of the ad package. And stations aren't necessarily willing to air half a dozen different lottery drawings. The principle of diminishing returns probably shows there is a point where viewers would resent so many drawings taking away from news time.

It was a lot easier up until 20 years ago when state lotteries only had daily 3 and 4 numbers at 7:58pm and the big jackpot games were only once or twice a week at 10:58pm. Nowadays every state has either Powerball, Mega Millions, or both along with other games like Keno and a daily 5. When Florida Lottery increased the number of games it played in the late 90s-early 00s you started to see the participating stations only show the Wednesday and Saturday Lotto drawing live and I think remember the game show Flamingo Fortune moving from 7:30pm on Saturday Night to after the local news or SNL on NBC stations right before the lottery pulled the plug.

It was a lot easier up until 20 years ago when state lotteries only had daily 3 and 4 numbers at 7:58pm and the big jackpot games were only once or twice a week at 10:58pm. Nowadays every state has either Powerball, Mega Millions, or both along with other games like Keno and a daily 5. When Florida Lottery increased the number of games it played in the late 90s-early 00s you started to see the participating stations only show the Wednesday and Saturday Lotto drawing live and I think remember the game show Flamingo Fortune moving from 7:30pm on Saturday Night to after the local news or SNL on NBC stations right before the lottery pulled the plug.

As far as I know, Flamingo Fortune moved from WTVJ to WFOR before it ended.

I miss Saturday night lottery game shows. Such a shame Ohio is the only state that has one now.

Well, here's a video archive over on the game show wiki- full of every lottery game show from the US, plus some from Canada and Australia. It's even got the unbroadcast testbed pilot Cash Tornado, hosted by Jim Perry and later used as the basis for many shows produced by Mark Goodson's son Jonathan (including the first version of Flamingo Fortune, before Sony/Columbia TriStar inexplicably took over production).

No but I would expect the lottery to sell a package to cover the whole draw.

Archived