NBC News' Left Field

rkolsen

A while back I believe I mentioned that NBC was launching a new video unit headed by Matt Danzico who created the BBC's Pop Up.

Here's a brief twitter video:

[MEDIA=twitter]872452863225626624[/MEDIA]

And a very brief writeup by Variety.

Left Field is probably the worst branding name NBC has ever used.

I understand the meaning (stories 'out of left field'), but these "branding experts" (who seem to do less than some random assigned person) just let it fly by them and never consider other meanings.

Add Chiller in too!

There's also 13th Street Universal, Diva Universal,

What do you want to bet the Olympic Channel meeting went like this...

NBC branding guy - "We want to brand it as O-RINGZ®! And the logo will be made of the letters looking like rings! And we'll have a mascot! That we we can cop--"

IOC - "Nope. Uh-uh, don't even. Olympic Channel. Just using the regular plain-old rings. We can deal with the copyright issues. Let's create a network people will watch."

NBC branding guy - (pout) "Fine. (under breath) Meanies..."

What do you want to bet the Olympic Channel meeting went like this...

NBC branding guy - "We want to brand it as O-RINGZ®! And the logo will be made of the letters looking like rings! And we'll have a mascot! That we we can cop--"

IOC - "Nope. Uh-uh, don't even. Olympic Channel. Just using the regular plain-old rings. We can deal with the copyright issues. Let's create a network people will watch."

NBC branding guy - (pout) "Fine. (under breath) Meanies..."

At least the NBC affiliates got away renaming the Olympic Zone to O-ZONE.

Don't tell the IOC...

:secret:

Archived