WJZ GM Jay Newman to Retire

rkolsen

After spending 34 years of his 44 year television career WJZ's GM Jay Newman is set to retire next month. He will have spent 19 years as GM at WJZ - making him the longest serving current GM for CBS.

“WJZ is one of the crown jewels of our station group, thanks in large part to Jay’s leadership during the past 19 years,” said Peter Dunn, president, CBS Television Stations. “He has done an outstanding job of running a station that has consistently delivered strong ratings and revenue, and upheld a legacy of community service that is certain to continue long after he passes the baton next month. We also appreciate the contributions Jay made earlier in his career, during his time at our group headquarters in New York and at our stations in Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Miami and Pittsburgh. While we wish he was staying with us, we respect Jay’s decision to go out on top after 34 great years with CBS and wish him all the best as he and his wife Jill begin the next great chapter of their lives.”

Now this is a bit of a big deal (thus a thread). Could this mean that there are possible changes on the horizon for the station?

Hopefully this means they get updated graphics and sets. They have a lot of cool memorabilia if they got the KCBS Set.

That's one reason why I posted this. I have a hard time that the creative services manager could go against corporate mandates. I imagine Jay had a lot of pull or came to them with data against the changes.

I wouldn't worry all that much, at least right now. But should a new GM release its current CSD K.C. Robertson and replace him for somebody else, then that might be a good indication that the days of resisting their cosmetic mandate might be numbered.

I wouldn't worry all that much, at least right now. But should a new GM release its current CSD K.C. Robertson and replace him for somebody else, then that might be a good indication that the days of resisting their cosmetic mandate might be numbered.

The thing is I think KC and company are talented its that they were restricted.

• 1 month later...

Archived