Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

Brief write up from [URL='http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107594/wftx-goes-far-to-supply-local-irma-news']TVNewsCheck[/URL] on how WFTX remained on air during Hurricane Irma. Apparently they didn't head to WMOR. Instead they went to Gannett's studio at the Naples Daily News. They relied on TVU packs to go live. WXYZ handled news production and their hub in Indianapolis which inserted the ticker and closed captioning. The signal was sent back to their station which was relayed automatically fro, the STL to the transmitter. [B]Edit:[/B]'Thanks to @Weeters for pointing out that it was WTSP that went to WMOR.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brief write up from TVNewsCheck on how WFTX remained on air during Hurricane Irma. Apparently they didn't head to WMOR. Instead they went to Gannett's studio at the Naples Daily News.

They relied on TVU packs to go live. WXYZ handled news production and their hub in Indianapolis which inserted the ticker and closed captioning. The signal was sent back to their station which was relayed automatically fro, the STL to the transmitter.

It was WTSP that went to WMOR.

WFTX anchored their shows out of WFTS, but the crews and reporters were at the Naples Daily News.

Good article though.

when did nbc start labeling some SRs optional and what is their justification for doing it? Affiliate pressure?

No idea when it started. They've been doing it for at least 5 or 6 years. I know that essentially all of Fox's special reports are optional. It may be that ownership groups demanded it. NBC has a separate service where they feed these optionals. So you have to tune it in and switch it separately. I think mandatory SR's are over all network paths.

No idea when it started. They've been doing it for at least 5 or 6 years. I know that essentially all of Fox's special reports are optional. It may be that ownership groups demanded it. NBC has a separate service where they feed these optionals. So you have to tune it in and switch it separately. I think mandatory SR's are over all network paths.

Who Started making the SR's Optional? was it Sinclair of other groups? Normally it is the opposite effect with these 2 stations where WPXI doesn't air the special report but WJAC does. I would like to try other stations from Wheeling and Youngstown Side By Side and see how they stack up.

Archived