CBC offering free livestreams of OTA stations

Journalist

It appears the CBC doubled down on the "TV Everywhere" trend and soft-launched their 'CBC TV' platform. Right now, they are offering complete livestreams of all their over-the-air television stations (a brand new feature) and instant VoDs for free.

0702bf021bbb96298024551c349a140e.png

CBC is also offering a premium plan (also brand new feature) - $5/month will give you a livestream of CBC News Network, and will remove ads on VoDs.

a89a6315c0bb8da17c69f2cf914cf1d5.png

It appears the CBC doubled down on the "TV Everywhere" trend and soft-launched their 'CBC TV' platform. Right now, they are offering complete livestreams of all their over-the-air television stations (a brand new feature) and instant VoDs for free.

0702bf021bbb96298024551c349a140e.png

CBC is also offering a premium plan (also brand new feature) - $5/month will give you a livestream of CBC News Network, and will remove ads on VoDs.

a89a6315c0bb8da17c69f2cf914cf1d5.png

Let me guess, seen in Canada only, right? Its geo-blocked here in the States?

It's nice that CBC has the live streams of all its 14 O&O stations wide open. Currently, CTV/CTV Two and Global require cable subscriptions to watch online. Then there's Citytv. They haven't gotten on the TV everywhere wagon.

I got one of those fancy VPNs as well. But can’t figure out how to open the Canadian App Store.

You either have to change your account from US to Canadian (must have a zero balance on your account), or (do like I did for iTunes UK) and create a separate account with a different email address...

I used an old iPad for that content, or could switch the logon on my AppleTV to access that content. You may need to have the device behind the VPN, so that the device doesn't provide GPS location based on your physical location, vs. "perceived" VPN location. Channel 4 UK updated their app at one point which rendered the app useless outside the U.K., but I could still stream via a web browser. I haven't tried in a while, so no insight what still works. Thank goodness my German TV isn't geoblocked (except for sports programming and Hollywood movies)...

J

Archived