KCET re-joining PBS; merges operations with KOCE

Guest Former Member 207

Guest Former Member 207

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kcet-rejoins-public-broadcasting-fold-pbs-socal-merger-1105542?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+thr/television+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Television)

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-koce-kcet-merger-20180425-story.html

After seven-plus years being an independent public TV station, KCET will once again become a member of PBS, effective sometime after this spring. The details are still being worked out, according to the Variety article, but after this spring, KCET and current primary PBS outlet KOCE will be under the same ownership.

Separately, the third PBS station in the market, KLCS, is already channel-sharing with KCET, and as a result, each of them had to a dump a subchannel (the second feed of KCETLink on KCET, First Nations Experience on KLCS).

“We are pleased that this merger will bring the combined forces of KCETLink and PBS SoCal together to serve the people of Southern California with high-quality PBS content and services,” said PBS president and CEO Paula Kerger. “We know this new entity will be a great partner to PBS and will help strengthen the broader public television system.”

Guest Former Member 207
Why did they split from PBS in the first place? Seemed kinda counterproductive.

KCET's previous manangement team thought that PBS was charging too much money to carry their programming. They were due to pay PBS to close to $7 million, but KCET wanted to just pay $1.3 million (and willing to take a secondary affiliation), but PBS refused.

Separately, the third PBS station in the market, KLCS, is already channel-sharing with KCET, and as a result, each of them had to a dump a subchannel (the second feed of KCETLink on KCET, First Nations Experience on KLCS).

Were any of the channels moved to cable? I know PBS has to be broadcasted OTA.

KOCE is the main, KCET is the secondary.

I'm lucky to live in an area where there are three PBS stations. Two are primary (MPT and WETA - I assume they're both primary and it's separate DMA) and one is secodary (WHUT). Having a secondary lets you catch up on PBS shows that you may have missed first run or when they were repeated. Plus WHUT varies differently from the typical primary MPT/WETA PBS fare when it comes to out of prime time viewing. I imagine KCET will be like WHUT and air the slightly quirkier fare, continue they own productions and imports they distribute.

Guest Former Member 207
Were any of the channels moved to cable? I know PBS has to be broadcasted OTA.

I'm lucky to live in an area where there are three PBS stations. Two are primary (MPT and WETA - I assume they're both primary and it's separate DMA) and one is secodary (WHUT). Having a secondary lets you catch up on PBS shows that you may have missed first run or when they were repeated. Plus WHUT varies differently from the typical primary MPT/WETA PBS fare when it comes to out of prime time viewing. I imagine KCET will be like WHUT and air the slightly quirkier fare, continue they own productions and imports they distribute.

KCETLink+ was just a placeholder channel after they lost V-me to cable/satellite exclusivity, with re-purposed programming from LinkTV. FNX is carried as a KVCR subchannel (they're the originating station for FNX), and is still available marketwide on Spectrum and DirecTV (on channel "24-2").

As far as KCET and KOCE's current subchannel lineup, that's staying put--LinkTV (28.2), NHK World (28.3), PBS SoCal2 (50.2), DayStar (50.3), World (50.4), and PBS Kids (50.5). They also mentioned that current programming on the two stations won't change, but there will be some shared programming beyond the standard PBS fare.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kcet-rejoins-public-broadcasting-fold-pbs-socal-merger-1105542?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+thr/television+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Television)

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-koce-kcet-merger-20180425-story.html

After seven-plus years being an independent public TV station, KCET will once again become a member of PBS, effective sometime after this spring. The details are still being worked out, according to the Variety article, but after this spring, KCET and current primary PBS outlet KOCE will be under the same ownership.

KLCS popped up on my semi-monthly OTA re-scan...an\d they had a crawl advising to re-scan on the 23rd of April.

Did KLCS also dick with the transmitter or antenna because i'm about 80 miles south of Mt.Wilson....it could also be tropo.

Speaking of tropo.....

I snagged KDUG out of Hemit, and that had to hop a mountain and still manage to sneak in 45 degrees off the antenna null.

If we were in the U.K. would we say ...

"Antenna Nil" and not Null?

Archived