WNBC's Live at 5 to end

NewsMan

Reading all of this made me kind of sad at first. I really miss Sue on Live at 5, but at least I knew that I could see them at 6. I would much rather watch Sue & Chuck over Jim & Dana any day. I have now come to accept it and look at the positive aspects of it. First, WNBC didn't do anything out of haste. They knew a change had to happen in some way, so the best idea for them was to think it out and then implement it at a later date. WNBC is different from WCBS in that they allow people to let new ideas settle for a little bit before pulling the rug out from underneaeth their viewers. We still have over a month to enjoy Sue & Chuck at 6pm! Chuck is a professional to the end, therefore I believe that his solo 7pm slot is to build confidence and trust, but at the same time deliver a good report. They are working off of the network news one anchor format in a way. I seriously hope it works out and redefines WNBC. I will admit, I am an avid Jep! viewer and I don't see that changing. Perhaps ABC can hook us up and bump their programming back so I can get Chuck & Alex. Highly unlikely, but it is fun to think about.

Let us see how this unfolds. I am into watching these teams with an open mind and they all deserve some good luck. As for Sue.. She is a professional who has had one of the best jobs for over 25 years. I'm sure she isn't hurting, & maybe this is a good way for her to work her way off the air as she gets older. I love Sue and wish her the best- hopefully it was all done for the greater good. Plus, look how dignified Sue has been. Some other old time anchors who got greedy didn't and don't always have good results...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I think this is the greatest idea, but what if...if it works?

The folks at WNBC should call the folks at WIS in Columbia, SC for some pointers. They've been doing the 7pm newscast for nearly 40 years.

Hmm. I guess WNBC is embarrassed that Chris and Kristine have been beating them at 5pm and wanted change. I would be too.

It will not be good for the futures of Dana and Jim if CBS 2 News at 5 gains viewers.

It is not good for Sue that she is being demoted, albeit temporarily (how long do you think this is going to last?)

I admire WNBC for doing this. Now maybe WCBS will bring back the 4pm news , which I don't care if it was unsuccessful, i liked it, and give that to Dana and Jim, and NYC can be loaded with news from 4-7:30. Thats what the largest city in the world deserves.

or My9 should dump the My Network TV crap (is that still around?) and air news from 7-midnight to really fit this city's needs.

How about WNBC restores Live at Five for an entire hours with Sue Simmons and a male anchor, continue NewsChannel 4 at 6 and 11. Just because they got beat by WCBS one month they are making drastic changes?. I'm getting a feeling this has to do more with budget cuts than anything else. Sad that Sue will only be on the 11. I wonder if they cut her salary as well. I hope not.

Hmm. I guess WNBC is embarrassed that Chris and Kristine have been beating them at 5pm and wanted change. I would be too.

It will not be good for the futures of Dana and Jim if CBS 2 News at 5 gains viewers.

It is not good for Sue that she is being demoted, albeit temporarily (how long do you think this is going to last?)

I admire WNBC for doing this. Now maybe WCBS will bring back the 4pm news , which I don't care if it was unsuccessful, i liked it, and give that to Dana and Jim, and NYC can be loaded with news from 4-7:30. Thats what the largest city in the world deserves.

or My9 should dump the My Network TV crap (is that still around?) and air news from 7-midnight to really fit this city's needs.

WCBS beated WNBC at 5 due to the lead in from Judge Judy. If it were The People's Court on WCBS, then Chris & Kristine would be in a huge problem. Remember when Roz was brought in, Leone/Doctor had The People's Court at 4. and the ratings at 5 were low. WNBC needs to find a good program for the 4PM slot so they can gain ratings at 5. Just what Dunn did for WCBS.

WCBS beated WNBC at 5 due to the lead in from Judge Judy. If it were The People's Court on WCBS, then Chris & Kristine would be in a huge problem. Remember when Roz was brought in, Leone/Doctor had The People's Court at 4. and the ratings at 5 were low. WNBC needs to find a good program for the 4PM slot so they can gain ratings at 5. Just what Dunn did for WCBS.

I know, I agree 10000% that Chris and Kristine suck. But in all actuallity, the Peoples Court brought ratings up from the Previous term of, in backwards order from most recent on, Millionaire/4:30, Weakest Link/4:30, First News at 4, CBS 2 News at 4, New York Live!, News 2 at 4 or whatever titles it went by. I miss the days of when Dana would be on with Stephen/Ernie at 4, 6 &11... or with Ernie from 4:30-6:30 and 11. She's the most solid female the station has, followed by Kate Sullivan and Mary Calvi and Cindy Hsu (anchor wise).

Since the new schedule is a fait accompli, I wonder about the content:

No Sports? well, that's OK since on weekdays most sporting events happen in the evening anyway and are covered at 11:00 pm.

but NO WEATHER? That's one of the things EVERYONE tunes in for, no matter what time the newscast is - be it 5 am or 11 pm. I can't believe they'd have a newscast and not give the public what they want most - an answer to "what should I wear tonight/tomorrow when I go out?"

Even though this didn't work in Fort Wayne, where WISE tried a 7:00 newscast two years ago, this just might be a smart move for WNBC.

Why? Simple: Commutes in the New York City area are the longest in the nation by far, at an average of 50+ minutes. (For comparison purposes, commutes in Fort Wayne/New Haven, Indiana are 20 minutes, tops.) By the time the average guy or gal in NYC arrives home in the suburbs, he/she would have missed Live at Five, and the 6:00 newscast would have already started while dinner was being prepared. With the new schedule, by the time dinner was done, they could watch NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and then see trusted, good ol' Chuck Scarborough for their local news at 7 PM.

We'll see how it goes...

Archived