MyNetworkTV Finally Gives Up...

first on fox

Faced with disappointing, last-place ratings, MyNetworkTV executives are plotting changes that could cut the network's current all-telenovela programming from six nights a week down to as few as two, multiple sources close to the network said.

Such a move, which sources said likely would happen no earlier than next summer, would mark a retreat from a format that News Corp.'s Fox fielded in September in response to the formation of The CW earlier in the year. Trying new programming signals that Fox isn't ready to give up on the network, and it may tamp down speculation that the company might pull the plug on MyNetworkTV in the next year if its ratings don't improve.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11240

I just knew this was going to happen, now that they are giving up on all telenovelas, might that morning show they were originally planning finally materialze?

If I were managing MNTV, I'd do shows traditionally for most of the season, and switch to telenovelas every day during the summer and winter months only, making sure traditional stuff would show up during sweeps.

I also didn't expect high ratings for MNT

How are the CW ratings, anyone know?

About on par with either UPN or WB... some shows are slightly better than when they were on UPN/WB, some are worse, but overall it's still a netlet.

I also didn't expect high ratings for MNT

How are the CW ratings, anyone know?

Basically their biggest draws are at the 4-5 million mark, and those shows are ANTM, Smackdown (even beating Fox on Fridays), and Reba. Mon. Nights are down slightly from last year, (probably because of them originally having it on Monday Nights.) 7th Heaven is doing better, with Reba. Gilmore Girls, OTH, Supernatural and Smallville are doing about the same. However, Veronica Mars are sometimes lower than their UPN ratings.

Honestly, the Telenovela format for MNTV was dumb in the first place.

Right now, anything else would be a vast improvement over the telenovelas. I'm just not sure people would flock to see the new programs. After all, you get only one first impression.

Either way, I couldn't care less about MyTV, except I hope it goes off the air so we can have an indie in D.C. (WJAL isn't really much of an independent...)

Guest Former Member 207

They should have gone the route of repurposing shows from the other Fox networks in the first place...one night you pull one of the better FX orginals (Nip/Tuck, Shield), a Fox "Movie Night"--something from their vast movie library, and maybe the telenovelas for only a single night. The former WB/UPN stations that lost their affilations to The CW should have just gone the indie route and stack up on as much first-run syndicated, sports, and classic movie product for prime time as they could. It just seems that Fox is so hellbent to put some sort of "network" product on their former UPNs.

Guest GForceTV

I honestly think they should dump MyNetworkTV and replace it with a kind of FOXExtra.

Maybe they should go the whole hog and call it "FX on ____."

The "________" would be the channel call letters and number.

• 3 months later...

why not just let the TV stations go back to being full-time syndicated TV stations. Let them play a variety of programming. Programming should include Old movies like those old sci-fi movies from the 1950-1980's, rerun TV shows, cartoons, sports and locally produced TV shows.

If I'm not mistake a majority of the MyNetwork affiliations went to former UPN stations. My local UPN station with through a bunch of changes, image wise. Was originally WB till 97 or so, then went to UPN and was "UPN 23," then a couple of years later "UPN Indiana" then "WNDY UPN" then now "MyNDY Channel 23" with different logo changes and all that stuff. Then if they drop their MyNetwork affiliation should it be cancelled, it will be something else.

I don't know what it was like in other stations but people don't really get a chance to identify with a station that well when the station can't keep one identity for long! Now imagine how many of the other stations may have gone through this and may have to go through this again.

That's maybe one perspective of it.

As someone (I believe cfif) very accurately pointed out on another thread about this sinking ship, the only way you can survive on sappy soaps is if you are a spanish language channel. Otherwise forget it.

Movies are a good idea for MNTV, especially capitalizing on the vast 20th Century Fox film library (that studio is also a NewsCorp property). Original telemovies would also work; those things are rare over the air nowadays, so maybe the network could try (and even do well!) to bring that genre back.

As for telenovelas...the network did something right with the first set of them; the telenovelas would be perfect for the summer/fall half of a year, but that should probably be it.

BTW, I wonder how the Elton John at MSG special fared on the MNTV stations.

Archived