KTLA's Hal Fishman Has Died

CalItalian

This morning http://www.ktla.com

From the infection or from the cancer? Marta Waller was on KTLA at 9 AM talking about how sick he was at last weeks KTLA 60th Anniversay. She also talked about how she read him many messages from viewers from KTLA.com before he died this morning. She held it together like a professional on the air, too. Very touching tribute to him.

Hal is going to hate missing all this, he's every TV station in the southland talking about him today

and he'd loved every minute of it. He did loved being Hal Fishman, the cancer took his life away from

us today and we all knew that we have accept the fact the life he knew and the job he love for 42

years at KTLA was over. You might of knew that he lived for so long for 75 great years, might of knew

why he died so young. He would have live any other way, all of us news fans around the country are

in mourning today in the passing of the great Hal Fishman and all of us in this business liked being on

TV, Fishman needed it, there's not enough trees to print enough papers about all the accomplishments

he made in the Southern California area, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, The Hal Fishman Newsroom are

all part of KTLA and Los Angeles Television News history. But I do know he'll doing some great work in

the clouds along with the late Jerry Dunphy for the rest of us, but to tell you the truth... I don't know

who will be filling the shoes of Hal now that he's gone. On basic level the people of Los Angeles and all

over the southland are going to look to sky tonight for the king of LA News... Hal Fishman. He was our

number one news legend.

Rest in Peace, Hal. Godspeed.

This is terrible...and its a story like that just exacerbates all the bad luck that television journalism has been suffering for the past few weeks...in additon to the deaths of Pete Wilson, the Phoenix Reporters, Marvin Zinlder, Tom Snyder and the other events of misfortune.

Hal may not have been the Ed Murrow of Los Angeles, for that distinction already goes to the late Jerry Dunphy, but he was the Walter Cronkite of Los Angeles. He was a television newsman who told the story the way it had to be told, and frankly KTLA cannot survive without the powerful voice of this man. They still have Stan Chambers, but his reports are not as often shown as should be. Hal was the heart of KTLA and now It appears that this once great station is on life support.

Hal, I appreciate and congratulate your nearly 50 years on television. I find it amazing how a former political science professor can live a life unlike any other.

Thanks for everything hal, you are the best and you will dearly be missed.

Hearts and condolences go out to the Hal and KTLA's family. Woke up around 11am and KGTV was reporting of his passing and i was at total shock. I welcomed Hal into my room everynight. Channel 5 is not going to be the same. I just loved how he delivered the news. so natural, and the way how he emphasized it, so hard hitting with his professionalism and im going to miss those commentaries at 10:20pm.

Good Night Hall and RIP.

This is very sad...Cliche, yes I know, but the Southland has lost one of their last great newsmen. I had nothing but respect for Hal whenever I caught him on KTLA. His baritone voice will be truly missed in the Southland. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and colleagues at KTLA. RIP Hal. Hope you and Jerry Dunphy are throwin a few back in that great newsroom in the sky.

Perhaps this will also mark the end of commentaries and editorials on Los Angeles television, a staple for many many years. Hal began doing commentaries on KTLA sometime in the early 2000's.

speaking of which....why are there not any graphics on TVNT commemorating Hal. They did it for Pete Wilson and Marvin Zindler. Hal Fishman was very big in Los Angeles.

i agree.

My condolences to the Fishman Family and everyone at KTLA.

Didn't know about this until moments ago, but it is a sad day in television journalism.

With Hal Fishman now gone, CTV's Lloyd Robertson is now the longest-serving, currently active news anchor anywhere in North America with almost 31 years at "CTV National News" and six before that at CBC's "The National."

Jonathan Allen

This is just horrible news. Ironically, I've returned from a trip to California just days ago. I watched one of his final broadcasts while I was there. I commented to someone (having not seen him for months) that he looked kind of sickly. I never would have expected this. We can only hope that the standards Hal Fishman set will always live on, and aspiring journalists can hopefully use him as a great example to look up to.

Update: A sad coincidence that I noted, Hal Fishman died on the anniversary of Peter Jennings' passing.

I remember visiting the KTLA studios as a college freshman a few years back, and got a complete tour of the studios from the station's director of public affairs. The newsroom seemed like such an exciting yet dramatic atmosphere. Despite this, the staff conducted themselves gracefully. At the end, one of the staffers, asked me If I wanted an autograph from one of the anchors/reporters at the station. It was at that moment when I said, I wanted an autograph of Hal Fishman, because he was one of the most interesting, unique characters in the field. I got the autographed photo of professor Hal a few weeks later, with a positive message (which seems to skip my head at the time), I forgot what I did with the autograph, but when I got it along with a little book about KTLA's history, I treasured it the same way I treasured watching one of the finest people in the business telling the news, the way it should be told. With Hal's passing, I doubt I could bare to watch another LA newscast, and have considered watching newscasts from other cities and markets, where traditions similar to what Professor Hal and Jerry Dunphy brought still remain, now void in LA. Nevertheless thanks for the memories Hal.....and may your voice continue to represent every generation of humanity. Good Night and God Be With You!

Archived