Local Storm Watch Coverages (Aug. 8, 07)

morningnewsfan

How do you think the stations did on coverage of the recent severe storms that passed by the area (August 8th, 2007)- [more particular the morning and noon broadcasts]?

-----------------------

I think WABC did a great job with their coverage. They stayed on the air passed 7:00 for awhile to get more information in to the viewers. The cut-ins during GMA were great and also they stayed on the air from 8:30-9. During 9-12 there were special report break-in's and also EWN at Noon was an hour long due to the Mayor's press conference.

WNYW wasn't that bad. There traffic reports were full and detailed by more-so to the point. They had reporters out there, they gave us important information, etc. They stayed on the air through the Morning Show w/ M/J.

WCBS brought in Lonnie Quinn[weather wall] so both him and Elise[weather center] were reporting on the weather I think this around 9AM.

WNBC didn't watch.

WPIX didn't watch also. I know they had some interviews and the regular weather updates/commercast reports and later they covered the Mayor's Press Conference.

WWOR carried WNYW's coverage of the Mayor's Press Conference.

Ugh. The storms were horrible. Lighting hit across the street from my house. And there was that tornado in Bay Ridge.

I was stuck on the E train that was stuck in a tunnel b/c of flooded tracks for almost an hour. At times the AC turned off. Horrible day.

This storm was pretty strong, again I was asleep and I didn't really hear a thing. The winds had caused a power line in my block here in Long Island, to break off and the lights were flickering on and off in my house, lol. So we called the fire department and they called LIPA and they took care of it. But it was quite intense. A tornado has been confirmed in Brooklyn, it was an F2 on the Fujita Scale. The tornado would look like what you see below in terms of size and diameter.

TORNADO.jpg

082704wellingtontor1_rrenfro©.jpg

-Vlad

I saw Lonnie Quinn on wcbstv.com reporting about the weather and this is the only time I was impressed. At first, I didn't like Lonnie at all, but now I am starting to notice his talent - trying to copy Lee Goldberg!

Just for the record, I had watched My9 at 10 Tuesday night and their weather forecaster (don't know her name) really blew the storms off as they approached the area saying, "We won't see much rainfall out of this system. Maybe a couple hundreths of an inch."

I kid you not b/c I was flipping stations and aware of the approaching weather and knew it could be stormy and rainy (not of tornado greatness). So, with their new "Viper" system it really dropped the ball, weather met included.

It's funny you say that and about Lonnie Quinn because I caught the tail end of CBS2 News at 11 the night before the tornado...Lonnie and Kristine were bantering how tomorrow morning could be real messy and plan plenty of extra time.

So I can't blame WCBS for not forewarning or not having good coverage this time.

Archived